Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
badbradbudman

I've been had!

badbradbudman
10 years ago

These were purchased as Birds Eye Pepper seeds. Obviously they are not. Any idea what they are! Thanks

Comments (11)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

No idea. I think it would be one of the Thai peppers. How is the taste, hot or good flavor? I see a lot of holes on the leaves just curious.

Happy growing

Caelian

• badbradbudman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kinda hot. Still not ripe. Put Sevin dust on to kill bugs..Thanks.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

badbrad: Looks like a thai pepper to me. Also, they won't really get their true heat until ripe red.

Another note: Get away from the SEVIN -- it kills all good bugs also. Which, in turn, leaves your garden with no defense.

JMO.

Kevin

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Where did you buy this seed/plant?

• badbradbudman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for heads up on Sevin Kevin.
    Bought seeds from Seeds Direct on Amazon.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I recently (in april) bought seeds labeled as thai bird's eye peppers, that also ended up not being the peppers I expected.

there's a thread about it here:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0623503321169.html?11

apparently there's some different opinions on what kind of pepper is considered a bird's eye. the ones I have are most likely the thai dragon pepper. which is still apparently plenty hot and good tasting, just not what I expected. plants are extremely healthy though, so I won't complain too much.

what's funny is I have 5 plants of that variety (in 3 pots, as multiple seeds started in some pots), 2 of which have peppers pointed upward, 2 of which have them pointed downward, one of which they're pointing out directly sideways.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Kinda looks like cayenne.

• winterville
    10 years ago

Yeah ! I bought peter pepper seeds all in different packs labeled red, orange and yellow. Seeds Direct through Amazon. All of them turned out to be cayenne. I just dont think you could make that mistake wit all three and now this one. Mighty fishy!!

• badbradbudman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback !

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Try buying chile seeds from a reputable chile seed purveyor who doesn't sell anything that holds still.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I wish people would just quit buying off amazon and ebay for seeds. I realize that many get what they are expecting but every year we see dozens of these reports and 95% of the time, they come from people who purchased off ebay or amazon.
    But, I get it. People decide to buy some pepper seeds and grow some peppers. Ebay and Amazon are quick and easy and have great selections so they gravitate there. They usually don't think to ask on the list for trades, give-aways or references to reputable sites until after they have made their purchases.

And most of the time, it is intentional by the amazon and ebay vendors. They sell whatever seed they have and label it whatever is popular that season. They sell hundreds, if not thousands of packs of "bell pepper" seeds as ghost pepper or some other variety. By the time buyers realize they have been had, they likely already gave positive feedback or the seller has closed the account and opened a new one under a new name and is selling more habanero seeds as Scorpion Butch-T seeds or whatever. They make a couple thousand bucks before the accounts get shut down by Ebay due to complaints from buyers.
    Bruce

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022