Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nels_gw

Cayenne Peppers - When should I harvest?

Nels
18 years ago

I have a small plant that has about 5 peppers growing. 3 of them are about 4-7 inches long but still very green. are these supposed to turn red before I cut them, or shall I cut them now to reduce the weight of the plant. This is my first time growing Cayenne Reds. My Banana's and Jalepeno's are all growing in the same pot, if that makes a difference. Both are also growing well, but I have experience with those.

Thanks, Bob

Comments (37)

• opqdan
    18 years ago

Pick cayenne peppers when they are red.

All three plants are in the same pot? How big is this pot?

• Nels
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pot is very big probably about 4 foot diameter. 3 feet deep.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

• opqdan
    18 years ago

That's a big pot.

• UncleJohn
    18 years ago

You may want to pick your early peppers before they are ripened. Peppers will stop producing once their fruit starts to reach full maturity.

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

I wait until mine turn red. I just brought in a big bucket full of the red ones yesterday after work and strung them up do dry. Good stuff.

-Todd

• phantome
    18 years ago

I'm glad someone else asked about when to pick. I am also growing cayenne for the first time. I can't wait for the little buggers to mature. I have a friend who loves hot peppers so we're going to have an eating contest when they're ready. lol I'll make sure I have plenty of antacids on hand.

• Ognyen
    18 years ago

Check 'em out green, too. I've read, and experienced, there's not much heat or taste difference with cayennes --only a color difference. If you don't have to have traditionally-red pepper, go for the green!

Jalapenos, however, take on a great fruity taste if they're allowed to turn red. I love to sweet-pickle 'em. Pickle only the meat. Save the cores and seeds for drying and powdering. Makes great cookies!

• opqdan
    18 years ago

phantome,
    Many people falsly believe that hot peppers cause heart burn or indigestion. In fact, capsaicin can actually be good for the gastrointestinal system. The reason that most people believe that hot peppers cause indigestion/heartburn is due to the foods that they are eaten with. This occurs especially often with jalapenos and banana peppers that are picked in a high vinegar content solution. In these cases it is the vinegar rather than the pepper that causes the problems. In other dishes like chili, other ingrediants can cause the dish to have a low pH (eg tomatoes).

That being said, if you already have an ulcer from eating to much acidic food, or other stomach problems, then there is a possibility of the peppers causing some sort of problem.

• ronalawn82
    18 years ago

A little niece once challenged me to eat a wiri wiri pepper. I fooled her by faking chewing motions but swallowed the pepper whole. She brought a few friends to witness repeat performances! Needless to say,I had a most uncomfortable night and next morning.(It burns you twice!) And no, I do not have a stomach disorder of any kind.

• hugatree
    17 years ago

My cayennes are turning reddish/purplish/orangish (sort of) but are quite soft, almost mushy. Is this normal? I see no evidence of rot or mold and they smell OK. Thanks

• drb323
    17 years ago

Ok...so after reading the above comments from this post, I still have a couple more questions - I've picked a couple dozen red cayenne peppers. I understand that I should now hang them up to dry. How long? Also, when I crush them to powder, do I do the entire pepper or just the skin and/or seeds? I plan on making salsa with them. TKS!!!

• jmcgaha
    15 years ago

This is my first experience with the cayenne peppers too...my question is if drying when they are red is the only way to preserve them. Can you take the green ones and put them in a jar of vinegar and seal them up for later? Just a thought.

• buzzsaw8
    15 years ago

I don't think Cayenne's are edible while green

• carolinason
    15 years ago

Cayenne's are very edible when they are green. This is also the best time for pickling them. Place a few in with green quartered Roma or Plum tomatoes and you have part of my grandmother's pickled tomatoes recipe. The other part is a family secret :-)

• ottawan_z5a
    14 years ago

I have been planting Cayenne peppers for the last 15~20 years for fresh use. The best time to harvest for us and with a lot of heat is just before the fruit starts turning red. Initially the pepper fruit is light green and soft. As it grows and approaches maturity the colour becomes dark green and the pepper becomes hardish and waxy and sometimes the dark green colour showa a sign of red tint. That is the time to harvest for fresh eating with good heat and taste. I find it less hot when it over-matures on plant compared to the last stage of dark green.

• tropicaltaco
    14 years ago

I too have been growing chiles from all over the world for over 20 years, All cayenne type peppers including Jalapeno and cerrano turn deep red to orange red when ripe. Though the cerrano and Jalapeno are traditionally consumed green, they should be avoided when green and eaten only when fully matured. The unripe chiles, like all unripe fruits should be avoided because they can cause ulcers and other damage to your digestive system. Fully matured chiles will heal ulcers and other gastrointestinal problems if used properly.

Cerrano and Jalapeno chiles are the most flavorful with a well rounded heat when eaten ripe... red

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Myself...I pick peppers when the color "turns" a little bit.

The intense green tends to fade a bit (but noticeably) before the red/orange/yellow/etc. kicks in. At that point I know it's time to keep an eye on the pepper or it's ready to harvest for off-plant ripening. If I'm going to have "green" peppers I pick them at this stage if I just can't wait for them to ripen properly. The astringent (strong/bitter) qualities of many peppers mellows out dramatically once the color breaks. This isn't an issue with some peppers, but it's a noticeable difference in many.

Generally, I like to wait until the color has reached 1/4 to 3/4 it's ripened color before picking depending on my own personal harvest surplus. I tend to pick most at the 1/2 way stage and ripen them indoors (not in direct sunlight) for a few days to finish up...then to the fridge.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

I just now noticed the age on this thread. I was just adding to the knowledge base anyway, but I totally missed this was a 2005 message.

• john_swald_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i am also a first time cayenne grower.my plants are full.i have one that is 6 inches in length .it is still green .do i wait til it turns red ? and how big do they get?

• newminer72
    12 years ago

This is my first time growing cayenne peppers. Is it okay to pick and freeze them for later use?

• JenTiffany
    11 years ago

So what I've taken away from this is try them green and try them red. Then decide for yourself. lol!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Personally, on a Cayenne, I would let them go red. More for aesthetics than for taste. But that is what I would do, unless I was trying to rush the harvest for some reason.
    Bruce

• willardb3
    11 years ago

Cerrano = Serrano

• GrowToCook
    11 years ago

I just picked a few dozen that are red but wayyyy too darn hot for me! Lol so I pulled off the few dozen green and they are milder and better for me. I am going to freeze some and pickle some in the fridge.

• Tanya Maria
    8 years ago

I am growing from seed my first cayenne plant. Five are on there full grown now but still green. I want to use them to make homemade hot sauce. Could I already use them for that? Or wait for them to be red. I'm losing patience! Lol!! Also though, how many peppers do I need for a mason jar of hot sauce?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    8 years ago

I would wait for them to turn red, much better fuller flavor, I don't like the taste of any green pepper. I use 10-12 peppers per bottle using chocolate habanero or Ghost but I like heat. I also don't use much fillers either no bell pepper or carrots. I do use onion and garlic. These are 5oz bottles.

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago

Also though, how many peppers do I need for a mason jar of hot sauce? What size Mason jar?> Various Size Mason Jars

• kyleb112
    7 years ago

Wow this thread is more than 10 years old and still going strong, when this was created i was 8 years old lol....anyway i like to pick when they begin the ripen, very nice flavour and great heat, also green ones are lovely too as long as there ready and not light green with a squishy skin lol :)

• wolife1038
    6 years ago

So....are they hotter when they're green or when they're red?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

wolife1038 ''So....are they hotter when they're green or when they're red?''

Cayenne Peppers - When should I harvest? - may not offer much heat until they reach maturity.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    6 years ago

Virtually all peppers are hottest when mature. The turning to a red color is a clear sign for most peppers that they are mature. A red Cayenne is "mature".

Keep in mind that early peppers on a plant can have significantly less or no heat.

• nancy_new_nn
    3 years ago

How do I know when my golden cayenne peppers are ripe? Do they start yellow and stay yellow? Thanks!

• Justin Owens
    3 years ago

Mine are in zone 5 or 6 and have turned green. I have about 6 or 7 per plant. Companion planting around tomatoes and nasturtium flowers. Cayenne have grown tall. About 2ft so far. Waxy green and they look ribbed. Waiting on my first plant to turn colors before picking. Then my other two cayenne peppers to grow taller and fruit more to decide whether to pick while green or wait till red. Seems to be to pick when you need from either premature green or matured red. Nice to see so much

• Jennifer Bowman
    2 years ago

This has been one of the most helpful threads of information I’ve read! I’m a first time cayenne grower and had wondered many of the things discussed. I would love to hear more ideas once the red cayenne has been harvested.

• j_bshaw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"That's a big pot."

What a solid thread. And super helpful! Happy 16 years, cayenne convo.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    last year

Thanks for this thread from the distant future year of 2022.

Sponsored