Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jutsfl

First major setback :/

jutsFL
9 years ago

Came back from vacation to find out that there were some brutal storms in Orlando while I was gone. 9 of my 16 plants were laying on their sides, more than 1/2 the peppers on all the toppled plants are rotted from laying on the soggy ground, and 3 of my plants pretty much broke right down the middle! I was hoping to come home to a bunch of ripe pods - but this was a rude awakening. Oh well I suppose... Cut the loss, and see how the rest of the months go in recovery.

Here's a quick shot of the breaking damage to one of the savina's... The rain was too heavy for them in conjunction with the pod weight:

Jay

Comments (18)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Oh, man, I'm sorry about that... :(

Josh

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

That's horrible! I'm going on vacation tomorrow for a week. You can consider me nervous!

Tim

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Wow that's sad. That is not a very nice sight to come home to after time away. My plants are far from having that many pods, I recently went on vacation for a week and did not trust anyone to water or take care of, brought them all inside, watered good the morning we left. But this would not be feasable for many plants. I hope they recover well good luck.

Mark

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Sad to see that, Jay. Good thing is you have plenty of season left down there.

Kevin

• flipback23
    9 years ago

That sucks, sad to hear. Hope the remaining plants bare more than enough for you until next season.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Sorry to see that Jay :(

Those downdrafts from those T-storms can be brutal.
    I'll be watching my plants here in July and August when we get a few popping up.

Stoney

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appreciate the condolences everyone... Still rather bummed about the situation, but really can't do much about it now. At least I'll know better for next year - the pots will all be stabilized (VERY WELL), and they will all have some very tall tomato cages in them! After seeing how things are going this time, I will also construct something to raise the pots off the ground (in conjunction with stabilizing them, and to keep the irrigation system off the ground).

...I was able to get this pull off of them today though after tossing all the rotten ones and branches littered with unripe pods:

Jay

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Uh...wow!

Stoney

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, today's storm beat them up again... Maimed a bunch more plants, and this happened too - she got the ole' FL haircut :/

Jay

• User
    9 years ago

Wow Jay, that really sucks..

Man, that has got to test your spirits. I feel for you.

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

:( insane I would be crabby all day and the wife n kids would be annoyed by my behavior. Can't imagine that much damage to my pepper plants. Hope it the last of the storm and any future storms may they be mild.

Mark

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Storm? You mean hurricane? typhoon? twister?

I've never seen wind do that to pepper plants. OTOH, I've never had that pod density on a plant, either.

Hang in there!

• brian6464
    9 years ago

That really sucks. We had 60 mph straight line winds in Minneapolis on Saturday. I was gone and was expecting the worst when I got home. To my surprise, everything I have planted survived with no issues.

More of the same weather forecasted for tonight.

If it makes you feel any better, you probably have already harvested more peppers than I will get in my short growing season.

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Brian, glad yours survived it well. I honestly hope no one else here takes a hit like mine... PSA: support your plants! :D

Jay

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Yow, that hurts. Sorry for your loss, but, they will come back, just gonna take a while to get back to to that level. We've had sustained winds of around 25 mph for 3 days, gusts up to upper 30's to low 40's, luckily my plants are weathering the wind ok, but that's just a normal day in OK.. I hate the wind!
    Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Ride a bicycle. Then you'll learn to *really* hate the wind. Wee don' need no steenkin hills!

Jay, did you get any sort or reading on how high the wind actually was?

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DM, no I didn't. The wind damage was all just limited to the plants blowing over though. The damage shown above is from the torrential downpour on the heavily pod laden branches, they just couldn't bear all the weight. All were broken straight down towards the base.

Jay

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Man, that sucks. Such nice healthy plants too. Hope you get back to insanely productive soon.

Dennis

Sponsored