Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightrodspecial

Scorpion?

nightrodspecial
9 years ago

Hi, new to the forum.. hope it's ok to jump right in.

I bought several "Trinidad Scorpion" plants from what I would consider a reputable nursery, but these "scorpions" look nothing like what I was expecting. Size is roughly 3-4 inches. The red one was harvested green and turned to this color over about a week of drying.

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• Bill_Missy
    9 years ago

Cayenne

• nightrodspecial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response bill_missy. I'm hoping the other plants I bought from the nursery are as identified. And it's not a total loss.. I like cayenne.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Hey Nightro, do the other plants leaves look the same as the ones in the cayenne?

Scorpions are c. chinense, and the cayenne c. annum. They have pretty different looking foliage. Post a pic of the others and we could at least narrow it down a little.

dj

• nightrodspecial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi dj, sorry for the delay.

Yes, the other plants I bought from the nursery are identical, and producing the same peppers.. I included the info tag that came with the plants. I received a second opinion from a lady at a farmers market (I bought some other peppers from her), and based just on my description she said she's seen scorpions like that, but they aren't like the Butch T or Moruga. A google image search on scorpions turn up *nothing* like what I have, but the cayennes look a little different as well. Or maybe that's just my mind looking for subtle differences to keep up hope that I have scorpions.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

You absolutely do not have Scorpions, nor are there any Scorpions with that shape.

Josh

• brian6464
    9 years ago

Might not be the nursery...could have been that someone switched the tags to be funny, to get a cheaper price etc. Cayenne's would almost always be cheaper than a Scorpion pepper. So it is likely someone took the Cayenne tags and put them in the Scorpion plants and vice versa.

• nightrodspecial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh, Brian, and all... Thanks for the input! I plan on going back to the nursery to see if they're still selling the cayenne mislabeled. I got mine (3 of them) from a huge tray, all marked the same. Probably just a supplier mistake. One of the ghost plants they sold me has pepper coming in.. and that looks ok (I've seen one of those before.. or seen what I was told was one lol).

From the farmers market lady I bought a number of different plants:

Trinidad Morgua
    Trinidad Butch T
    Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
    Carolina Reaper
    Naga Morich
    Fatalli

But none of them are producing yet. Exciting stuff.! I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm having fun doing it! Thanks again. :)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

The leaves are C.annuum, not C.chinense.

Could have been a mis-label, but I bet the nursery (or its supplier) tried to pull a fast one.

• nightrodspecial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx DM.. I'm already accepting the fact I'll have more cayenne than I really wanted lol. The upside is that I'll probably have an easier time finding takers for the surplus. :)

Sponsored
Builders XLT | Built on Solid Ground