Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fujiapple73

Bell pepper - is this blossom end rot? (pic)

fujiapple
17 years ago

This is my first time growing peppers, so I am a total newbie. I'm growing Thai Dragon, Jalapeno and Yellow Bell pepper, all in containers. And all with many peppers on them.

This morning I went out and found about 3 of my yellow bell peppers rotting. Here's a photo:

Can anyone confirm if this is blossom end rot? Or something else?

Assuming it is BER, I think maybe I have not been watering consistently... sometimes not enough sometimes too often. This is due to my inexperience with peppers, I'm just unsure of how much water they need. I guess I should have looked that up long ago, huh?

I live in California, 45 minutes east of San Francisco where we get hot dry summers. This week we've had several 103+ days as we're in the middle of a strong heat wave. I've been watering more this week to compensate for the heat because I'm worried about my plants.

I do have a water meter... can anyone tell me how dry I should let my peppers get before I water? Do I keep them moist, or let them dry out before deep watering (like tomatoes)?

And if the waternig is not the cause of this... I've seen nitrogen deficiency mentinoed for BER. Is there a brand/type of fertilizer anyone can recommend? I have not fed these plants yet (they were planted in potting soil with some fertilizer mixed in).

And my last question - there still several healthy looking peppers on this plant, of various sizes, plus more blossoms. Will this problem overtake the rest of the plant or is there a chance I will still be able to harvest some healthy bell peppers this year?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored