Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hatch or Hungarian Hybrid...?

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 12:27

Hello!

Well, I started this plant from an Hungarian Wax seed....but the pods set downward and look like no Hungarian I've ever grown. One option is that I mislabeled / confused the seedlings when planting, and that this is a Hatch instead....but it doesn't really look like a Hatch, either. The other two Hatch chiles I'm growing start out very dark like Jalapeno and they do not have pointy tips or long pods at the start.

So...I'm wondering if perhaps one of my Ghost Peppers pollinated my Hungarian Wax last year, resulting in this pod....Hungarian Ghost would be cool. Or maybe it's just a reversion / mutation to something like a banana pepper. We will certainly know once it is ripe enough to sample!

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hatch or Hungarian Hybrid...?

You could have just bragged about how big your pepper was without making up some wild story! :) I can't wait to see how hot it is when it ripens. I'm hoping for a Hungarian Ghost. Please keep us updated.

Tim

o

I like the variegated leaves, Josh.
Looks like Fish ? That could be one sign of crossing ?

o

Hehehe...! Tim, this is quite early (for my area) to have pods already set and forming. Usually it's flower-drop-city right about now...but I ain't complaining!

I will certainly keep the updates coming!

Josh

o

Seysonn,
the leaves aren't variegated, that's just the morning light passing through the oak trees ;-) ....and I've never grown Fish peppers.

Josh

o

Looks a little like cayenne. Did you grow any Cayenne types along with your HHW last season?

Steve

o

Hey, Steve! No, I've never grown a Cayenne.
Closest to the plant was a Chocolate Ghost, then a Yellow Ghost and Moruga.

Josh

o

I searched some images of various peppers.
I came to agree with Steve that closest looking pepper to what you have is Cayenne. It has a distinct characteristic of a sharp pointy tip. Then it is skinny . Hatch is FAT with almost flat tip. HHW is the next possibility. A cross is another possibility. Maybe with your neighbors' plants ?

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 9:08

Yah, I thought I posted Cayenne as well, but I guess I forgot to hit the "SUBMIT" button after previewing my post.
It looks pretty classic for Cayenne but there are others that are quite similar to a Cayenne. But Cayenne is the most common pod of that shape and form.
I am going with Cayenne and will be looking forward to some updates on it's progress.
Bruce

o

>>>Hey, Steve! No, I've never grown a Cayenne.
Closest to the plant was a Chocolate Ghost, then a Yellow Ghost and Moruga.

Josh<<<

Lol, yea i guess none of those are close to a Cayenne. I wonder if your HHW last season was an intentional F1 hybrid, bred for better disease resistance or production. But chances are they would have labeled it accordingly.

I've seen pictures of ghost x banana hybrids, but the pods looked different, thicker, bumpier etc. Edit: I posted a link below of one of the Bhut x HHW crosses i've seen, it would be great if it's been stabilized, and sold, imho. I just checked JungleRain.com.au and they don't have it :(

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Bhut x HHW

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:56

o

Hey, guys!

I haven't grown Cayenne, and my neighbors don't grow peppers, so it can really only be hybridized with one of the peppers that I've grown.

I grow Hungarian Wax from seed from my own plants each year. The last time I purchased a Hungarian Wax plant was in 2008 - and I still have that mother plant that produces known, true HHW pods. I've collected seed from my own plants ever since.

Josh

o

Another possibility that I totally forgot about....the Monkey Face pepper! Could be. The final heat level will give us the best clue.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here