Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper plants dopping flowers

Posted by jerseycorn31 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 12:53

This is my first year growing peppers and im noticing my plants(jalepenos,cherry,cayenne, and bell) are dropping their flowers stem and all. The plants all look very healthy and have lots of new growth. Should i be concerned or is this just the plants way of putting its energy towards establishing itself before it sets fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper plants dopping flowers

They will usually drop blossoms until temps are right for setting fruit. If it's too hot during the day or too cold at night, they drop.

o

I am having this issue as well, and was quite worried about my plants. However, with some google searches i found the same answer that city_tomato has given. And just going by your username, i am assuming that we have been hit with the same heat wave over the last few days. Hopefully that is all it is.

o

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.

o

thanks for the input.

o

This happens to me every year when temps get in the 90's more so with sweet than hot varieties. During the summer, I eat the few peppers that get on before the heat comes and then I get a bumper crop in the fall. If we get a cool spell thru the summer they'll usually set some then as well. Be patient with them and don't over use nitrogen.

o

im not using any fertilizer but i have been watering alot due to the very hot temps. guess ill cut back a little on the water. like i said the plants seem very happy and healthy, guess ill just have to be patient. Thanks again for the help.

o

Willard,

Why do I think you have that list posted as a direct shortcut on your computer just ready to be pasted when needed? :)

I swear I've seen it 50+ times over the years.

Chris

o

The flower-drop question has been asked by those who won't search waaaayyyyy more than 50 times. It's easier to cut and paste than to type.

o

I had the same thing, turns out my Flowers we're not producing enough pollen to pollenate themselfs even when doing it by hand or shaking.

I had to collect dropped flowers, bend the petals downward and off to expose the Stamens and rub this inside the open flowers.

o

My plants have been dropping flowers (or small fruits, don't know which) but only the ones on the drip irrigation. I've been watering my melons a lot, so it seems like the peppers got more water than they wanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here