Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronnyb123

Chi-Chen hybrid

ronnyb123
9 years ago

I had 2 little stragglers pop up a month ago and it seems one is a hybrid. These are Chi-Chen. Not sure what it is cut with (got the seeds on the Xmas trade) but the color of the leaves are cool.

One on the left regular- right Hybrid.

Comments (9)

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hybrid. What do you think it is mixed with?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

There's really no way to know for sure without DNA testing.
    If you know what other plants were in close proximity, that would help narrow it down....

Josh

This post was edited by greenman28 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 12:51

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I knew, but these were seeds from a swap. I guess I will have to wait for the fruit.

I hope its hotter than the original.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Looks like my Chinese 5-color foliage.
    I have 3 of them . Two of them are like your small one and the 3rd one is just green and bigger.
    I also got the seeds from a member here.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Seysonn. I have nothing simular to the color of the leaves on my plants, other than a Ghost/Neyde hybrid I'm growing this year and the leaves are not even close.

Checking online, I believe the 5 color seedling has leaves that are straight green. It seems if you have two simular to mine, they may be crossed too.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 13:43

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

I sent only two types of seeds for the seed trade. I grew the chi-chien and sent for the seed swap. Some pods looked very similar but the plants looked different as they grew in the same earthbox. Im not sure if you received those seeds from me but you may have.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lexx, I believe those were yours.

Just so you know, I have no problem with Op seeds, especially hybrids. That is the best part of growing chilis from seeds. You never know what your going to get. Of course, if you pay good money for seeds, you better get what you buy, but thats a different animal.

I would gladly trade with you anytime. All my seeds are OP too, so who knows. Its always a crap shoot with Chili seeds, sometimes you just up snake eyes and it turns out to be a winner too.

Did you happen to grow anything that had purplish leaves.. maybe you can remember what it was? Black pearl maybe?

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 19:10

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Last year was my first year of really growing anything. I started very late so was limited by time. I grew the following, hungarian wax, jalapeno, red savina, baby bell, super sweet cherry, and puta madre. I don't remember any of them being purple last year. This years grow I had and orange thai that started purple and is the biggest in the box. I started all February 22 and its a foot tall with a nice trunk. I received this from the seed swap.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lexx

It could be a leftover from whomever sent you the seeds the first time. I got 2 full grown ones out of that batch, beginning to flower, and those 2 straglers.

I look forward to seeing the fruit. I may have to regrow if the leaves stay that dark color and the fruit is good.

Sponsored