Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbellot

How big of a pot for Bhuts?

mbellot
12 years ago

Greetings all, long time lurker but this is my first post.

I started some Bhut Jolokia plants back in mid-March and they seem to be coming along fairly well. Pictures at the end of the post (I hope).

I want to keep them in pots for several reasons, including trying to over-winter them, but at the same time I don't want to stunt them.

I have them in decent sized pots now (2 or 3 gallon, not sure since they are recycled from shrubbery) but I'm not convinced they will be big enough to last all season. For reference, the plants are ~ 10-11 inches tall (measured from the dirt).

Should I move up to 5 gallon buckets? If so, when? They are all producing flowers right now, but none have set any fruit yet.

I have one pot that's even bigger (22" diameter, don't know the gallons) that isn't being used but I'm not sure I want to go quite that large.

Also, just for fun I had a co-worker start some seeds at the same time (well, a week later because his wife claimed the alignment of the planets was better for planting crops - seriously).

He brought some back in to the office about a week ago and I nearly cried... Only one week younger than mine and they are barely seedlings still. They are in the second picture.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks