Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

The Twins, Hab experiment

djoyofficial
9 years ago

I started a half dozen Habanero plants from seed back in February and got most of them in the ground and a couple in clay pots sometime around the beginning of May. The season started out horrible for peppers here in the western Rockies. We had overnight temps down in the mid thirties just last week and snow down to 7000 ft (we are around 6000ft). Needless to say, the plants in the ground have really been struggling to grow. The ground plants are a third of the size as the ones in pots that I have been able to move in at night. Good news is the heat is on now and it shows.

I had a couple of seedlings that sprouted practically on top of each other (the twins) so I decided to do a little experiment with them. As soon as they forked out I snipped the top off of one of them and on the other I have been snipping off the lower leaves.

The idea here is to have one that grows tall and one that bushes out. I am hoping that this will allow each of the twins to receive as much sunlight to its respective foliage as possible and that eventually they will end up looking like one really hearty plant.

Things have been going slow till now but I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will have enough of a grow season for them to really blossom..

Here is a picture of them just before they went in the ground (top right).

I'll keep ya posted.

dj

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz