Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

plants will be home alone for 5 days

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

so I'm leaving tomorrow morning at 5am to go to a judo training camp up in NC (basically getting the crap kicked outta me for 12hrs a day for 3 days, plus 2 days travel time). during this time my wife will be staying at her parents house.

so my plants will be home alone for 5 days in the florida sunshine with nobody to attend to them.

someone please reassure me that all will be well. I am getting kinda nervous.

some are starting to turn red. I'm betting when I get back, if they're not all dead, some will be ready to be picked. but they gotta survive first.

Comments (6)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

All depends on your grow media and if and how much rain they may get. You might want to have somebody check up on them -- if they're wilted, water.

Good luck.

Kevin

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Get thee a soaker hose and put it on low. Please do not leave your babies without water for 5 days.
    or
    If you don't have an outside tap, get some of those 1/2 gallon pop bottles- puncture the lid, fill with water, turn upside down and ram it into a free section of soil. The soil with force it to dispense slowly. May not last long but it's better than nothing.
    just a couple of quick suggestions.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Check the weather.

Check the weather.

Check the weather.

Haha, once you do this, you'll know if they need to be covered or not. If they're in the ground, protect them as much you can.

If no severe weather is coming in, water them graciously and don't worry about it. When you get bak you'll get to realize how much they've grown.

Pepperguy222

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Get yourself a sprinkler timer. Orbit brand will work, and is available at the big box store quite reasonably. Set your sprinklers in front of your plants and set it to run for 25 min at mid-day on day three out of 5 that you're gone. Not perfect, but its the simplest solution. Running at midday will minimize the amount of time the foliage will remain wet. Provided your soil has acceptable drainage, you'll have no problems.

Alex

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I got back from my trip safely, minus a few bruises and a whole lot of sore muscles.

it rained while I was gone, so no worries about the need for water.

I come home to find a bunch of serrano pods have begun developing, and my first brain strain pod has appeared. my red ghosts have flowers open, which I'm thrilled about since they kept dropping buds before the flower could even open.

I was hoping to get home and find that a bunch of thais had changed color and were ready to be picked, but no such luck. patience must continue.

my plants were actually looking great. this may be due to the heavy dose of fertilizer I gave them the day before I left.

however it turns out it had been quite windy while I was gone (apparently it was gusting up to 40 on one night). and one of my larger thai plants now has like a 20 degree lean to one side. how do I correct this?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I would poke a dowel or stake into the container on the side opposite the lean. Put the stake right at the edge of the container, not next to the trunk. Then, simply make a loose loop around the stake and the trunk, and bring the plant into an upright position. Other times, I just put a large stone in the pot against the trunk to keep it from tipping the way it wants to go.

Josh

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor