Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drying banana peppers

Posted by cindyb05 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 14:18

I read where you can dry peppers by hanging them by the stem, my questing is do you dry them as whole peppers, do you have to cut and clean them out or do anything to them at all before hanging them?? thank you in advance for your answers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drying banana peppers

Well i have never dried anything like that it takes a long time. I dry my own herbs by putting whatever i want to dry between two ribbed air conditioner filters. then i put the filters on a box fan, so the air is blowing through the filters, secure the filters to the fan with bungee cord, turn the fan on high. I usually let it run for 12 hours then flip the filters over, and let it go for another 12 hours. its not as easy as hang um and leave um, but there will be no bugs to worry about, or rotting (which sometimes happens in humid climits). It always works for me.

o

thank you for the idea..I will have to give that a try..thanks again

o

Read here:

Here is a link that might be useful: chile drying

o

willard3..thank you for the link it's very helpful and exactly what I was looking for...thanks again

o

poolboy: Sounds like a good idea. I presume "ribbed" means the $3 paper filters? I bet those work well.

FYI, up here in OH we call 'em "furnace" filters, not AC filters :)

--Don

o

Don, Yes thats what i mean. the ones big enough to fit a box fan edge to edge. You can reuse the filters several times when you dry herbs and peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here