Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbit Manure and Hot Peppers....

Posted by skyclad (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 14:20

I'm wondering what you guys think about Rabbit manure and it's nutritional value, and how this works with the nutritional needs of hot pepper plants. I've used RabbitPoo before with other garden plants and the results were incredible! Monster garden!! Just curious if any of you have used it to fertilize pepper plants and what the outcome was..
Thanks in advance for all responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbit Manure and Hot Peppers....

Howdy,

I hope it works well with peppers. I put down hundreds of pounds of it in my garden late last fall. So far so good. Just be sure you don't use lime this year - any place you put down the rabbit manure. They will basically cancel one another out and foul up your pH.

Jim G

o

"They will basically cancel one another out and foul up your pH."
what the heck does this mean?

o

Hey Rockguy,

When Lime and Manure make contact in the soil, their chemical compounds breakdown and the result is Amonia. It takes lime about three months to breakdown and become useful and even longer for manure - depending on its age. If you were to add lime while manure is present, you do bad things to the soil.

Some old timers suggest that lime and manure should not be added in the same year; the same twelve month period. But, if you spread lime in the fall, and well aged manure in say, February, you would probably be okay. Me, I will add lime one year and manure the next. Lime in late fall and manure in January or February. But -- I would have the soil tested first and not add the lime if it wasn't needed.

I am no expert. Just going on what I have read and heard.

o

I put a good layer of rabbit dung on my garden last fall and I have three happy Bhuts in there now. I did not add any lime though.

o

esox07,

Good for you. I put a %$#@ load of horse and rabbit manure on my garden in January. I have tilled it in three times since then. I just hope the rain hasn't washed away all the benefits I was hoping to acquire from the expense and labor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here