Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this scotch bonnet?

Posted by chinamon (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 14:21

hey all,

i have three scotch bonnet plants which i grew from seed that i bought from richters. a jamaican friend of mine was over a couple weeks ago and he (and his parents and grandmother) said it doesnt really look like the scotch bonnets they've been growing for years so now im wondering if i have scotch bonnets. here are a couple pics..

thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this scotch bonnet?

Look like scotch to me. Might be a different strain than what they grew.Awesome looking. What are you feeding it. I am jealous. Here is a picture of my scotch do not make fun of me. The florida heat is killing me!

o

Hey chinamon, been a while!

Richters has been know to mess up on labeling now and then. That being said, I guess there are two schools of though as to what constitutes a true Scotch Bonnet. The most common being the ones that look like Habanero but a bit less hot (what you got) to the hot ones that look like bishop crown peppers. I think both are valid. The closest thing Righters has to the "Bishop Crown" shaped peppers are the Jamaican Yellow Mushroom peppers.

FWIW

o

romy,

i have all my peppers growing in Pro-Mix BX. i use DNF Grow & Bloom (with Grotek CalMax added) every other watering at half strength. it is a hydroponic nutrient which i use for my hydro setup in my basement but can also be used in soil/soilless applications.

ottawapepper,

how are you, sir? it sure has been a while. been so busy since the passing of my sister. how are your peppers doing this year? thanks for the info btw. i think the scotch bonnets that look more like habaneros would be the more authentic one since they are from the same family.

o
RE: are these bhuts?

sorry. i just realized i had another identification problem. i dont want to make another thread for it either....

i have four plants that are labelled as bhuts grown from seed that i bought from pepperjoe.com but the peppers look different. here are a couple pics..

which plant is what? are they both bhuts?

o

I lost a best friend this past year, I know words can't make things right but I'm really sorry to hear about your sister. I've learnt that it's true that only the good pass before their time.

Your top picture definitely looks like a Bhut. The bottom one looks like a Dorset Naga or 7 Pot (in my experience Dorsets are smaller versions of Bhuts). They look like they're doing really well.

OK (taking gloves off). What were you thinking ya damn fool! Instead of buying seeds, I could have set you up with Bhut, Bih and Dorset seed no charge! Crazy man. Let me know if you've lost my email.

BTW, Have you bitten into a Bhut yet? Didn't you say you were going to? LMAO

o
RE: is this scotch bonnet?2

Sorry, forgot to answer your first question.

Peppers are doing well this year finally after two dismal years. Only challenges this year are earwigs and groundhogs.

Family of mother and four jr's moved in under neighbors shed. They mowed down a few peppers and part of the garden before I got a trap. Got three jr's last weekend in the humane trap. Couldn't toss the trap in the pool after I caught them because GF was home. I relocated them 2km away by a nice stream and grassy field. Oh ya, there was a Canadian Forces rifle range there too... nothing like the sound of automatic weapons fire when your fighting ground hogs ;-))

Still working on Mom and last jr.

o

HELLO CHINAMON

my red and chocolate Scotch Bonnets are very "wrinckly" i dont think that that has much to do with anything, because i have Cleos Dragon Habs are "wrinckly" also and so are a few other Hab species in my garden, the pic look like they might be Habaneros (IMHO)

o

My guess is that those are not Scotch Bonnets but rather are Caribbean reds (assuming they mature to a red color). The scotch bonnets have a very different pod type than those in your picture, more of a wrinkled "tam-o-shantern" shape.

themedicinalpepper.com

Here is a link that might be useful: The Medicinal Pepper

o

I would agree with the medicinal pepper on the scotch bonnets possibly being caribbean reds....and as for the bhuts....they both looks like bhuts to me...

o

100% those are caribbean reds. One of my favorite peppers. Hotter then orange habs with a better flavour. Around 400 000 scoville units.

o

These are what I consider a real Scotch Bonnet only:

Scotch Bonnet TFM (C. Chinense) - 8/23/08

True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (C. Chinense) - 8/22/08

Chris

o

Chris, I think you have the right one. My family has grown these for years, and every year they look just like the picture above. This is my first attempt at trying to grow them. So far my Scotch Bonnets looks pretty good, hope to have updates soon.

o
RE: is this scotch bonnet? (pic)

hello all:

i have the same question as the original poster. i got my varieties all jumbled up this year and many went unlabeled into the garden and containers.

are these scotch bonnets? they look similar to what chinamon posted, but not sure...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

i thought i had only planted habs in the garden, but if anyone could verify that these are scotch bonnets i would be pleasantly surprised.

thanks!

o

Update 2011 grow. Everything came out great, not bad for a first timer I would say. I owe it all to you guys, lots of good info kept the grow process easy. I will say, the Epsom salt in a spray bottle evey 2 1/2 weeks worked wonders for me! My peppers doubled in height and flowering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

o

Hey, Chris,
I've been wanting to grow those like you pictured for a couple of years now. I got seeds from Pepper Joe, but they look like garden variety orange habs to me (perhaps a little bit lighter in color). Where'd you get the seeds for those?

o

Beth sold the TFM Scotch Bonnets at Peppermania in the past.
I don't see them on her sight anymore.
Rumor has it she might be growing them next season...

Might want to send her an E mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermania

o

From my studies, I've found that the foodarama scotch bonnet seeds are the more true to shape/heat. They are also hard to find.

o

I know where you can get some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Midwest Chileheads

o

I've also heard the same, I've ordered my 2012 foodarama scotch bonnet, butch t, and bhut seeds from Midwest. Get them while you can. Mr. Tom can get you what you need.

o

Midwest Chilehead is a great guy to deal with. Enjoy his seeds.

o

Be careful who you buy "True Scotch Bonnet" seeds from. Last year I bought seeds from ten different reputable sellers. They all ended up being Jamaican mushroom. Not a single Scotch Bonnet. Luckily my wife's co-worker is Jamaican and was growing some in her yard. Now I have more plants than I know what to do with.

o

Thanks keno and armac. fmalmgren, I too fell prey to the Jamaican mushroom a few years ago. I'm pretty satisfied that my "true scotch bonnet" seeds are true. They look just like the ones chris posted above, and have the heat. Great looking pods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here