Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Peppers at the Farm - Jardin del Rio

We'll be fully open for business July 5th, but in the meantime I've just been hanging out and enjoying the fantastic growth in the gardens. Full sun, rich soil, and plenty of water...amazing how much bushier these plants are than those grown in my shaded backyard garden :-)

Did someone say Bells? Gahhh, so many people seem to like them. Three big beds of them. I say, Pass!

New Mexico, Ancho San Martin, and Poblano....

Predictably, the superhots growing the slowest! Late-started Trinidad Scorpions (not my seed, not my starts!). Next season, I might start all the superhots for the Farm...to give these plants the chance they deserve.

Yellow Bhut Jolokia snapped in half...hopefully it'll just continue its crawl.

An overview of the pepper beds.....

And on the other side of the main garden, 75 varieties of tomato, squash, melons, cucumbers, okra, eggplants, corn....we should have ourselves a record-setting year. We plan on sweeping all categories at the Nevada County Fair.

Josh

Comments (18)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Ummmmm, josh, I think you have let your hobby get out of hand. I didn't realize you had a "commercial" garden for growing peppers and other veggies. That is some garden. Awesome.
    Bruce

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

Wow. Can you tell us the city you are in? I couldn't tell from the website of the foothills area and would love to visit the place (but do understand no advertising allowed here.) Even a hint would be helpful!

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Wow Josh!

I wish I was closer. I'd drive out to check it out!

Stoney

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

That's just awesome Josh! Looks like a ton of work. You going all organic?

Kevin

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

OMG.... thats a lot of peppers. I wish I had room like that.

The landscape looks familiar to what we have here in Northern California.

Picture 5 shows some Scotch Bonnet that are smaller then the rest of the plants. Planted later maybe?

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 16:24

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not my Farm, Bruce, but the Farm where I work during the Summer. I'm the pepper consultant :-) We sell fruits and vegetables and pickled goods and honey on the weekends, and we expanded to two more Farmer's markets in the area.

I have a great time, and I'm able to spread my pepper addiction to others. We do special orders of pickled goods, as spicy as the customer wants. Last year, even our "spicy" goods weren't hot enough for some....so I brought in my home-grown superhots and did experimental batches with Nagas and Bhuts, Datils and Bonda ma Jacques. That provided the heat level above "spicy" for the chile lovers.

Kathy, the Farm is in north Auburn, CA. Tours are free (as long as there's someone there to greet you). Not formal tours or anything....you just call ahead, show up, and then we walk the gardens and enjoy. Link for you.

Hey, Kevin, it is a ton of work, alright. Thankfully, I'm at the other end of the work now....no more weeding for me. Since it's a show garden for tours, it takes a lot of continuous maintenance. All organic - not that we're ideologues, we just know that it's good marketing around here. Still waiting for the license, though - it's a two year process, I guess, and the soil has to be tested a few times, et cetera.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Jardin del Rio Farm

This post was edited by greenman28 on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 12:03

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Amazing! I'd love to be financially independent so I could just farm for my pleasure. I know that's not exactly your situation, just something I'd love to do. I hope you guys have a bumper crop this year!

Tim

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Wow! Really spectacular Josh. How wide are the raised beds? mine are 4' and 5' and I have a hell of a time weeding them in the middle.

When are we going to get the Aji limon/lemon drop issue answered? :-)

Pam

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ronny, sorry I missed your comment! Yes, those Scotch Bonnets were planted months later! I don't even know where they came from. The woman with whom I work "had" to have them for the pepper powder that she wants to make.

Tim, I'm right there with you! The owners of this property are developing the 200+ acres into a rural retirement community with trails, ponds, gardens, river access, campground, and clubhouse...the garden is an essential part of the promotion, and the Farm Stand will be a weekend "meeting place" for the residents to help out, hang out, and stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables. The owners' daughter is the one who has co-ordinated the gardens and the Farm sales, and she and I work together. It is nice to have that independent wealth, indeed! I'm just along for the ride! :-D

Pam, I can't remember the exact dimensions, but those beds are really wide, maybe 10 X 12 feet, or something like that. I think it's ridiculous, but the head gardener, William, put the beds in the first year....the year before I started working at the Farm.

Josh

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Now that's a lot of peppers! Had no idea you were growing such large scale, congrats!

Jay

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, seems Josh went from avid hobbyist to out of control in one year. My guess is that there will be a "hot" stand at the local farmers market this year.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Wow, yeah, that's too big, 4-5 ft (for me at least) is max.

but, you missed question 2, when we gonna get to hear the review of aji limon vs lemon drop?
    Pam

Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoops! So I did!

The Aji plants are looking good, so it should only be a few more weeks before I can take pics of pods.

Josh

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

Wow! Are you on a well? How did you choose Ancho San Martin? I'm sort of nearby, and have tried about five poblanlo's, but like Tiburon, grown by a guy in Stockton best.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nanelle, not on a well - county irrigation.
    The woman with whom I work, along with her brother, pour over catalogues and order seeds all Winter long. Then they plant in the Spring. I don't know why that particular pepper was chosen, but all the other Poblanos we've grown have been excellent.

Josh

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

I have grown that one, and like it a lot. This year I have Ancho 101, Tiburon, and two just labeled "poblano". I'd love to see your pictures at harvest. Do you let any get ripe?

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Tiburon has been my favorite for years, but San Luis is pretty good. I'm trying Caballero this year, it's supposed to be a superb poblano also.

I'll be impatiently awaiting your report on the Aji limon/Lemon drop.

Pam

Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent to hear! Nanelle, we do indeed allow some peppers to ripen. There are so many pods that it's inevitable :-)

Josh

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County