Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Carbanero

Bill_Missy
9 years ago

I cant wait to try this Three way cross. Anyone growing these?

Bill

Comments (45)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nope. New one to me. What are the crosses? Pretty cool looking pods.

Kevin

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin,

They are pretty cool pods and very prolific as well. This is what they look like ripe.

Carbon Indian Bhut Jolokia X Yellow 7/Pot X Orange Habanero

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Those are very nice. They look pretty hot.

I too have not seen those. Where did you get seeds?

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the seeds from a friend in Florida last year. I am growing three of these plants this year. One in ground (picture above) and two in pots.

9 years ago

Have you tasted yet? If so, berry like bhut or citrus like the other?

You might want to bag a branch to save seeds. They look like keepers.

Kevin

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin,

No I have not tasted. As for the isolation part I believe I have that covered (Thoughts/opinions welcome). This plant is in the ground and the pods above where set before any plant next to them had flowers, so it should be isolated correct? Atleast these 8 pods that are on it now in the above picture.

Bill

9 years ago

If those pods were formed before any other plants within 500 feet(I think that's the space they use out on farms) had ANY flowers open, then you should be fine.

Kevin

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Don't be surprised if someone starts begging for seeds. It could even be someone commenting on this thread right now. ;)

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, let the bidding begin at $9.99 PER seed.... :)

Kidding. I will be more than happy to share/trade seeds later in the year. I am more than happy to "pay it forward" as I have been treated great by members on this site.

Bill

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Yes Bill, please save those seeds as well, and hopefully you will have enough to trade with us later.

Ron

9 years ago

"Don't be surprised if someone starts begging for seeds. It could even be someone commenting on this thread right now. ;)

Tim"

---------

LMAO. I say you get first dibs Tim. From other members comments, you've paid it forward many fold.

Me? I need to know what it tastes like. If Bhut, I say me in front of Tim, just because I'm cool ;) lol if hab or 7 pot, no thanks. :)

Kevin

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I like it here.
    You guys are great. I am not bidding, Bill:-) I am not yet into supers. But if I had to , I would do it for Tim. Last year I asked Tim for a few seeds, he sent me a big package. I still have some of the sauce that I made with the peppers he sent me.
    Anybody wants Manzano seeds ? I got plenty of them. No trade necessary.

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

I'll trade whatever you would like for some of these seeds. No joke. That's a beautiful looking pepper. I have 45 plants in my garden so I'll have plenty to spare. Send me an email please(:
    -Nick

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Ditto here, that's a cool looking fruit. Do you have any idea of how stable it is?

Haha, I didn't even look at this post until now, for some reason the subject heading made me think of a poblano, boy, was I wrong.
    Pam

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Kevin....At least I'm getting an idea where I rank on the "cool" scale. :) I'll try to stop eating peppers for a week or two, can I be re-evaluated at that time?

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Starting to change colors. Pods going crazy on this plant. I can not wait to try this pod. I have three of these plants growing and they are doing great. All have pods. This is my second full grow year and I am doing better than last year Lol

9 years ago

Yep. Looks great Bill! Let us know how it tastes. Yes, gardening gets easier the more you do it. Just don't do what a lot of people do,...try to perfect EVERYTHING. Keep doing what you're doing and deal with the curveballs when they come.

Tim, lmao. You're awesomely cool. Just not as cool as I. You need more annuums. :P

Kevin

• boilmeimirish
    9 years ago

These look fantastic! I'll also be happy to trade when the time comes.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Every time I see these peppers, they just look better and better.
    I would be happy to trade for seeds too later.

Ron

• andyandy
    9 years ago

You're a mad scientist. Looks great, Did you cross the Ghost with the 7 pot. Grow that plant and then cros it with the Habenero? I'm sure I have some crosses growing as we speak but i would't know what they are. All my plants are on the deck so I'm sure in the wind some cross polination has taken place.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amazing what a 24 hour period will do. I want to pick this so bad, but I will wait a few more days to ensure it is fully mature.

Andyandy, I did not do the cross I just got lucky to get the seeds from his cross., a friend in Florida did the crossing.

9 years ago

Are you sure final color is orange?

Kevin

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin, Yes I do believe so and the guy that gave me the seeds said it was. I think I will leave one or two on the plant for a long time to see what happens (To a rotting point).

I want to pick and eat this one now, but I know it can not be fully mature over night so I will give this one pod a few more days.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just picked. Front side

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back side. Same two peppers

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Well........How was it?

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cut open.

Just cut open and pulled seeds Tim. Will taste shortly after a another beer or three lol. Will let you know....

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

AwrIght, that's enough beer! Get to it.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First off, I am not a pepper "reviewer, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just my thoughts and opinions.

I just ate the one on the left of the picture. Very good taste and flavor. Smells like a Orange Habanero, taste you could tell it had the Bhut flavor to it, a very dark and almost "heavy" flavor, not fruity like I expected.

Pretty hot like a Red Ghost (Only Ghost's I have ever eaten where Red Bhut Jolkoia) but not hot like a Moruga.. Heat stayed at the tongue, no throat burn and not much lip burn. Made the tongue feel like it was swollen. Heat stayed for about 8-10 minutes, not the pain burn but a good feeling burn.

This was the first two pods off this plant, so they may get hotter as the plant produces more. There are over 50 set pods on this plant now. It is producing like crazy, my best plant thus far this year. I will be growing this one again for sure. I really enjoyed the taste and flavor of this pod. Just not quit as hot as I was expecting, but GOOD!!!

Bill

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yes, you are a pepper reviewer, Bill. That is a good review.

Accordingly, I wish to get in line for seeds for the gnarliest pods I have ever seen, thank you very much.

Good grow!
    Dennis

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dennis.

I am saving all seeds from these pods I pick off this plant.

I will be selling seeds for $9.99 for a pack of five seeds with a limit of three packs per customer as I need to make sure I have enough for all my customers...

That was a JOKE guys (pun intended).

I will be offering for free any of these seeds to anyone that wants them later in the year after I have saved enough. I will go in order of folks asking for these seeds on this post.....

Bill

• Orekoc
    9 years ago

Very cool looking peppers there. It would be interesting to know the order of the cross and if any part of the cross had been selected before you got the seeds. I mean, was it an F1 hybrid then crossed to the third pepper? Or was the first cross selected for some generations such that you now have basically another F1 cross you are growing out? Or even the 2nd crossing has now been select out.

Anyway, cool looking pepper and it sounds like it tastes great too. Any chance of me getting in line for some seeds? It been years since I had a garden, so nothing to trade with if that is an issue. If so, that fine.

Yeah, my first post begging for seed, how pathetic.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Ah, we all do it one way or another.

Since these are probably unstable, we'll have to plant a lot of them and select the truly gnarly ones for future life.

Dennis

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Made three bottles of sauce today using 6 Carbanero's. I must say, very good sauce with nice heat.

• avidgardener25
    9 years ago

Sauce looks amazing! Very nice color to it.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one plant is going crazy with pods. I have twice this many waiting to ripen.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I wanna get in on this seed waiting list. but somewhere down the line. I don't need original "definitely isolated" seeds. some of the best tasting peppers are the weird crosses.

I've got one weird orange almost peach superhot, whose seeds came out of a pod that was a dark maroon red. great flavor. I have no idea what it is, but I'm gonna try to keep it going.

• scorion1
    9 years ago

I too , would like to get my name on the list for some seeds if I could.Those peppers look tasty.

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Wow Bill that's a very nice looking pepper. The sauce looks awsome as well. Can you share what, besides the Carbanero, you used in the sauce.

If I can get in your Carbanero seed-line I would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully I'll have some seeds, new to you, to trade with you as well.

Looking forward to hearing more about the Carbanero.

Sandy

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

I am still fairly new to the forum and seed trading but I very much intend to pay it forward (and am collecting as many pure seeds as i can). So I would love to get in line and if there are any you need from me, please let me know

:)

Susan

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Bill,

Did you get a nice harvest out of your leftover pods?

Every time I see these pics, I gotta say they are awesome.

Ron

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all,

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top as I have collected all the seeds and they are ready to be shared. First offer goes to the folks that have asked for seeds above. Please email me your address to LAMEG@Cebridge.net and I will get the seeds out. Again, first offer goes to the folks that have replied above on this thread.

Bill

• uncleflip
    9 years ago

Bill, I am a novice pepper grower (and just joined gardenweb three weeks ago to get a pepper identification question answered after i picked up some odd pods on my honeymoon, so just saw this thread today....), but would love to try my hand with some of these. E-mail on the way, in the event you have enough to share. (Of course, the earlier responders come first....and so do my pepper growing elders. They have been very generous with advice and such, and I would like to plant myself firmly in line BEHIND them. I feel I have not earned my stripes yet.) If you have a paypal or google wallet account, I am happy to send you a donation to cover what you will inevitably have to pay in postage to send these to the bloodthirsty masses. :)

Thanks!
    Thomas 'flip' Lower

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Email sent Bill.

Thanks
    Ronnyb123

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994