Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosiercherokee

Black Pearl ... Anyone Else Growing It?

HoosierCheroKee
17 years ago

I got it from a catalog ... can't remember which one right now. It was advertised as "new," and cost a lot ... like 3.95 for 10 seeds.

I'll say one thing for the company ... every seed germinated. I kept 3 plants and gave the rest away. Two of the plants are doing very well. One is doing extremely well and is outpacing every other pepper as far a foliage. The foliage is broadleafed for a pepper but smooth ... not wrinkled like some broader types. They resemble most closely the Black Prince peppers I'm growing from seed Chris sent except I think the pepper is supposed to be round instead of pointed.

The stems are very erect and strong. The tallest is about 20" tall and just now started setting flowers which is way behind some of the other varieties ... taller, but slow to flower that is.

The foliage is very dark purple and has been in partial shade with only about 6 hours sun a day. See, I had them up against the southwest side of the house behind my tomatoes, and now that the tomatoes are getting tall and bushy, I may move the peppers out a little. Since the three Black Pearls are in pots, I'm gonna set one out in a more sunny spot to see if the foliage gets darker. If it does, it will be nearly black.

If anyone else is growing these Black Pearls ... what are your thoughts? And are these hybrids or OPs? I think I got these from Stokes or Parks or Jung ... someone like that. Anyone know where they came from as far as breeder or whatever?

Bill

Comments (22)

• chesnut_rabbit
    17 years ago

I just bought a mature back perl yesterday. It already has ripe fruit and they have a great taste and a pleasent heat. Mine is about 2 feet tall and loaded, to the point it's weighted down, with black (immature) and dark cherry red (mature) chiles.
    I'm going to make some pepper sauce out of these guys. I think the heat and taste will be great.

I googled black perl yesterday, after I got home with my new plant. They appear to be pretty new, within the last couple years. Apperiantly this plant has won all kinds of awards.
    If it takes well to the conditions here, which I think it will, this pepper will be a regular in my garden.

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

Bill,

I am growing this variety this season. It is a hybrid I believe. I bought one plant from my local nursery because it looked beautiful in the pics I have viewed. I'm growing it for ornamental value mostly, but it sounds like it may have some culinary appeal as well.

Chris

• Barbaraga
    17 years ago

Wow! Very nice looking plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Pearl info & photo from USDA

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info, folks.

Barbara, mine looks exactly like the photo in the article you linked.

Chris, I emailed Ms. McGinnis about whether USDA's version is F1 or open pollinated. I'll report back if she answers.

I checked when I got to the office this morning, and I got my seeds from Totally Tomatoes where they were 10 seeds for 2.50 ... a little better deal than I originally reported ... although I remember seeing them for 3.95 in one catalog. Anyway, I'm hopin' their open pollinated so we can all enjoy them more in the future.

Bill

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, here we go with Ms. McGinnis' reply:

"(Bill),

"Thank you for your interest in our research. I spoke with the scientists and they say that Black Pearl is open-pollinated. The cultivar is protected by Plant Variety Protection. I hope that information is helpful to you. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

"Regards, Laura"

• koolguymike
    17 years ago

thanks for sharing this info you received

• pjtn65
    17 years ago

Wow! good looking plant all the way around...I'll be looking for it or seeds/

PJ

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One of three I have in containers.

• dwight_boston
    17 years ago

I've just bought a new little Black Pearl to go along with my new "Pretty in Purple" ornamental. They go great together. (If I could figure how to post a photo, I would.) I love how even a really young Black Pearl is so vigorous, bushy, and healthy... Dwight

• woodze
    17 years ago

dwight go to a photo hosting sight and upload your pic to it. there are many sight but i use tinypic.com then copy and paste the html link to your post

here are my peppers hope to see yours soon... Richard
    (yes those are arrows as stakes they work well)

Here is a link that might be useful: tiny pic

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Ciao Bill,

Duane WANTED to grow this one when he saw it at a local nursery, but he ended up settling for the Bolivian Rainbow and Largo Purple he was already growing. I think he's going to want it for next year, though. Let us know what the flavour is like and what you used it for, ok?

Cheers,
    Julianna

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Julianna,

I have a few Largo Purple plants. They're nice. I got the seed from TGS and started several. I gave a few away and kept about 4 at last count???

The Purple Largo aren't nearly as exhuberant growers as the Black Pearl, don't have as big a leaf, are not quite as sturdy, but otherwise are very similar in structure.

Actually, Chris's Black Prince are very similar to Black Pearl ... more so than Purple Largo ... but I think Black Prince has a pointed pod rather than a round pod like Black Pearl. At least the pods Chris sent were pointed. My Black Prince have flowered, but haven't yet set pods.

The Purple Largo seem to all have pointed pods too. I have one "off" Purple Largo ... it has plain green foliage, but has the violet flowers and the dark purple pods ... not a hint of purple on the leaves though.

I also kept a couple of Tri-Fetti ... they're not much to brag about yet ... kinda pretty foliage, but not really out to set the world on fire growthwise.

As a side note ... I have one Peter Pepper that is goin' absolutely nuts! It's coverered up with peppers in the last week. I think I'll move a Black Pearl right next to it and hope to make some little purple peters for next year.

I'll start takin' more pictures soon. If you see something you or Duane like ... keep in touch.

Bill

• dwight_boston
    17 years ago

Thanks Richard - much appreciated.
    I'll just start with this single pic of the two ornamentals

Here is a link that might be useful:

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's some photos of my Black Pearl spanning a two week period.

(The bottom picture is from a different, skinnier plant than the other three.)

Bill

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

they almost look like berries.

I want to try some. they look like fun to grow.

• koolguymike
    17 years ago

nice photos thanks for sharing
    that is a very pretty plant.

Michael

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's some more information on Black Pearl breeding.

The article includes information on Black Pearl's parent lines ... a dark-foliaged selection of Royal Black crossed with a green-foliaged, rounded red-fruited variety.

Bill

• hablover
    17 years ago

Yes I am. I got the plant from Lowes when it was a foot tall.
    Tony

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

I am growing it...looks exactly as yours. Beautiful plant. Unfortunately I planted it in an area with poor soil. Stunning ornamental!

Chris

• Remos
    17 years ago

What kind of capsicum is this? It looks like I see multiple fruits per node but I'm not sure. They sure are beautiful!

• Remos
    17 years ago

other than that itlooks like a C.annuum to me, not sure though

• design_djhunter_co_uk
    13 years ago

can anyone spare me some seeds?

Sponsored