Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pick jalapeno peppers

Posted by Darylltx Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 14:25

I have already pickled a couple of jars of nice green, young peppers. Now, for whatever reason, I want red peppers. As my peppers get to that stage of maturity, first they develop lines in the skin (looks like cracks but are not), then what I notice is when they get to this stage the pepper is firm or rather hard, when compared to the younger, yet still same diameter of pepper. Questions are: Why are these peppers harder than the ones without lines? Are they still as desirable as those peppers that are more pliable? And by the time they are red, will they have lines and cracks all over the pepper, thus making visually unappealing peppers, if I want to make decorative, gift-canned jars?

Daryll

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pick jalapeno peppers

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 14:57

Daryll:
The "cracks" are called corking. They dont affect the taste as far as I know but some may not like the look. Others might look at is as unique or whatever and like it. Below is a link to a concise explanation of corking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corking on Jalapenos

o

Those lines are generally called "corking".

Many consider it desirable, but, it is less attractive in the jar (obviously that is subjective).

The red (ripe) ones will also be softer than the green ones when pickled - but also a bit sweeter / less "green".

o

I prefer the sweeter taste of the red jalapenos - don't care about the scarring. But it's an act of will to leave them on the plant that long ...

o

Thanks all. Yes you are right it takes will to wait, but several are turning purple, so I know it wont be long now...

o

Daryll, how lucky you are to have red jalapenos. In my neck of the woods the birds take my red ones unless I am proactive and cover them. For my pickled jalapenos I slice them and the red and green make an attractive jar. Enjoy!!

o

Does anyone know when/if TAM jalapenos turn red?

Here is a link that might be useful: TAM Jalapenos still green

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here