Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

First Meager harvest of the season

Although I picked a few ripe Black Pearl pods a few days ago to dry for seed stock, I just picked my first real harvest of ripe peppers. I know this isn't much, but I wanted to pick them in hopes of spurring the plants to produce more.
Bruce

Comments (12)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Nice pods Bruce!
    You'll get more :-)

Stoney

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I'd be happy with any ripe peppers at the moment ;-)

Josh

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

At least they are starting to appear Bruce. You should see more real soon.

The UbaTuba almost looks like a Bishops Crown. Interesting.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Bruce, in zone 4 and you got ripe pods this early, that's awesome! Wish I had that, but have only two green pods on my cross and maybe a pod or two very tiny on the other cross. Do you like the Aji Limon over your favored HHW?

Mark

• User
    9 years ago

Nice pods Bruce. Those uba tuba look cool!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

This is what I get for starting late... some guy in WISCONSIN with ripe pods before me. ;)

Nice pods Bruce.

Kevin

• obchili
    9 years ago

Looking good. A meager harvest is better than no harvest!

• pepperchuck
    9 years ago

About how long did it take your aji limon to turn? I've got two plants full of them and pumping out more, most have been at full size for a couple weeks.

Great looking pods by the way!

• bberkmor
    9 years ago

+1 to UbaTuba looking like bishops crown/Christmas bell cool

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Geez ! Bruce.
    Way up north, in Wisconsin , zone 4 where is was snowing in mid April, that is a great accomplishment. My Aji lemon and Bishop's crown ha tiny pods at this time.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stoney: Yep, I know there are more to follow. I'm counting on that.

Josh: You seem to have an extra month or two in the fall more than I do, so, if you are just a little behind, I don't feel sorry for ya. Ha!

RonnyB123: Yah, I think I read somewhere that they are similar peppers and often confused ala banana peppers and Hungarian Wax

habjolokia: I tasted a bit of one of the Aji Limon and there is a clear unique taste. Most call it a citrus taste and it is close to that. It was a bit on the hot side for my tolerance though. I'm planning on using them for some pepper jelly when I get enough ripe ones. But they wont be supplanting my HHW's for my sandwiches.

Toolshack: Yep, they are cool looking. One of the reasons I grew them.

woohooman: You made my day now that I know I am ahead of someone in SoCal.

obchilli: Yep, meager, but a start. It is a good sign.

pepperchuck: It is hard to say how long. I had one plant that put out 2-3 ripe ones over a week ago. Then a wind blew a plant off the railing above and broke that plant in two. Half is still there will several full size pods. The one I picked these peppers off of is full but no more ripening yet. They seem to be the older, lower hanging ones that ripen first. I have a third plant that is packed and no ripe ones yet at all. It does take a while, even after they reach full size.

bberkmor: Yah, like I said, i think they are either all the same pepper or confused quite often.

seysonn: Yep, we had several inches in late April. My greenhouse was covered. But we have had great weather through May and June so far.

Thanks everyone for the nice remarks. I didn't expect a lot of responses, but I was just happy to have a few ripe pods already that I felt I had to post them.

Good luck to all,
    Bruce

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

They look great so far, and we all know you'll have plenty more where that come from!

Jay

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH