Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbgrump

Please help me identify my leaf problems!

greenthumbgrump
9 years ago

I think I have the beginning of an aphid infestation in my 5 in-container Aji Amarillo plants. I noticed one or two completely white spots on a single plant, and didn't think much of it, but a week later it's on all the plants, and yesterday I saw what I think were two aphids. I took the attached photo today and checked all the plants but couldn't see anything, so I'm also worried it might be an infection.

I'm a first time pepper grower and don't have much gardening experience, so I'd appreciate the help of any experts!

EDIT: This photo is of the worst leaf on all 5 plants. About 2/3rds of the leaves are spotless, the others mostly have 1-3 spots.

In any case, I'm going to get some insecticidal soap today.

Background:
I've grown them from seeds I brought back to Canada from Peru. I started 2 of them in late February, indoors in small pots with basic potting mix. I planted the other 3 in early March in Jiffy pots, and they've seemed to grow much more slowly. In mid-May I transferred all of them to big containers using pre-mixed, pre-fertilized soil from a gardening centre, and a few days later moved them outside to my balcony.
They seem to be doing pretty well, but I'm unsure whether they need more fertilizer or a specific supplement yet, or if I'm watering them enough, or if they're getting enough sun.

This post was edited by greenthumbgrump on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 15:42

Sponsored