Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehsteve

Too Many Peppers?

ehsteve
11 years ago

This is my first time growing peppers so I have no idea what to expect but I'm worried I have room any peppers on my plants.

I'm growing banana peppers in 7 gallon containers. The plants are about 18" tall and currently have around 30 peppers per plant and are still putting out more flowers. The peppers range from newly sprouted ones to peppers about 5" long, which are still green.

Is this normal? Can a plant support this many peppers? Will it delay ripening?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (21)

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Sounds like they are doing great! If the plant can't handle it, or isn't happy, they will most likely drop the buds. Otherwise, let them do their thing.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yah, if it can't support any more it will drop new blooms. Sounds like you have things going great. Give them a little time.
    Bruce

• ehsteve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture of the Peppers.

I came home today though to find the plant tipping over after watering softened the ground, so have had to add stakes since :S

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, peppers are generally pretty good about not setting more fruit than they can support (heh, nutritionally, weight wise as you've found can be a different story). My sweet bananas are similarly laden as yours, and when I look carefully I can find aborted peppers laying on the ground (the stems fell off like blossom drop, but there is clearly no flower and the bud of a pepper in its place).

So, the plant knows what its doing. If it oversets it will simply abort the extras and keep going with what its got.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

On a side note, I put my peppers in those round wire cages various places sell as tomato cages.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Can't have too many peppers. Send the extras to me.

No CODs, please.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Sounds like they are doing great. Bananas are one of the most prolific pepper plants, and it's sometimes hard to fathom how a plant can have such a high fruit to leaf ratio and still be healthy. Hungarian hot wax are similar and are almost as prolific. Nothing to worry about... enjoy!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Well, I sure wish my Bananas would get going. In reality though, all my plants are just starting to fruit. I got a bunch (two full crops) off my Hot Hungarian Wax plants.

Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

The Hot Hungarian Wax plants were last year. I decided on Banana's this year.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I wish my bananas would hurry up and finish turning. The waiting is the worst part. Got at least a half dozen out there as long as my hand and 2/3s as thick as my wrist that have been sitting on yellow for freaking ages.

Calm, zen serenity and patience is great, but I want my peppers, dagnabit!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Those sound like some big peppers Edymnion. I hope mine wind up that big. But I am hoping for quantity also. It sounds like you will get another full crop out of your plants this year. I am looking at just one.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Nice. It looks like the plant really needs that tomato cage too.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, it does. Its tall and spindly, with three main branches that shoot up out the top of it. Going to be one I cut back into a bonchi.

I'm thinking I'll cut each of the three stems at a different height and try my hand and turning it into one of those cloud bonsais, where you've got a little cloud of leaves at three different heights.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Edymnion you are a Bonchi Master with peppers, can't wait to see pics of the clouds.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Edymnion:
    It looks like that plant had been cut back before. Was it an overwinter plant?
    Bruce

• capoman
    11 years ago

Interesting Bruce. I have both Bananas and Hungarians going, and if they weren't labelled, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart, as the plants look the same, and the fruit is almost identical, and they are both the same size with fruit the same size. The fruit are about 6 or so inches long and just starting to turn color. I'm growing from a new batch of seed this year, so I hope they ARE actually different.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Capoman: Look for pods pointing upwards when they first start out and until they are nearly full size. That is characteristic of Hot Hungarian Wax peppers. The Bananas will normally grow pointing downward right from the start.

Here is a photo of one of my Hungarians from last year.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Good point Bruce. I had totally forgotten about that. The early pods on the Hungarians pointed up before dropping down. I guess I do have the right seed. It is funny how similar they become with age, but you are definitely right in that was the one difference that was obvious between the two.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Edymnion:
    It looks like that plant had been cut back before. Was it an overwinter plant?
    Bruce

Minor correction, the trident one is my uba tuba, the banana pepper is a single straight stem.

And no, the only cutting I've done on the trident uba tuba is that I removed the lower leaves once it got tall to expose the stem to some direct sun to hasten lignification (I don't know if it actually helps or not, but it can't hurt).

Otherwise, these I don't cut until the very end. I just go with whatever shape they naturally take.

• Brandi
    4 years ago

Hey everyone I know this is an old thread but I came across it in the search. I think after reading this I may have made a big Mistake. On my bell pepper plant I noticed there were many many many many little fruits developing and I pinched them off thinking there was way too many on the plant for it to be able to put enough energy into ripening any of them. I have since read it can be harmful to the plant and the pepper plant well support what it is growing or drop them on it’s own. Did I dramatically hurt my yield?

Sponsored