Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

Cajun Belle & MexiBell?

ncage
11 years ago

I bought these two varieties at my local walmart this weekend. I tried to google them and didn't find a lot of information. Mostly just places trying to sell the seeds. For those of you that have grown either can you provide some more info? how big are the peppers? How much heat (cherry pepper / Jalapeno)? How productive are they? The combination of sweet + heat seemed interesting.

thanks..

Comments (11)

• hotpeppermaster
    11 years ago

The Cajun Belle peppers take 60 days to green, and 80 to ripen to red. The peppers sorta look like a mini bell pepper. they have four "lobes" as some people call them at the bottom of them. they're about two inches by three inches. The Cajun Belle pepper has a very mild kick to it. It ranges anywhere from 100-1000 scoville units. Thats less than half of a jalapenos heat at its max. They're a very mild pepper. They produce a large amount of peppers, depending on where you live and what conditions are given to the pepper. If you take care of it the Cajun bell can give up to 150 peppers each growing season. Taste wise, im not really a fan of sweet peppers, but if i had to choose one to eat, it would definitely be this one! Now on to the Mexibell, It has a plant that renders bell peppers that are 5 inches by 4 inches. They take about 75-80 days to mature. They turn from green to red. Theyre the same heat rating as a Cajun Belle pepper, 100-1000 scoville units. The mexibell, since it produces such a big pepper, will only render about 30-40 peppers each year. Any more questions just ask!

• ncage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope i don't think any more information is needed. Thanks for the info.

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

mexibelle {{gwi:19626}} {{gwi:1181745}}

• SpicyBootFarms
    10 years ago

Hey Just so everyone on here knows we re doin some Cajun Belles and these things are as hot if not hotter than jalapenos.Maybe it really depends on climate ? But..I've have found another post on here has similar findings as mine.Nothing mild about em good lasting searing heat but perfect for stuff n roast.

• SpicyBootFarms
    10 years ago

Hey Just so everyone on here knows we re doin some Cajun Belles and these things are as hot if not hotter than jalapenos.Maybe it really depends on climate ? But..I've have found another post on here has similar findings as mine.Nothing mild about em good lasting searing heat but perfect for stuff n roast.

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

I feel like Cajun Belles are a fairly new hybrid and thus inconsistent. I grew one last year and the peppers were similar to jalapeno heat but with the mini-belle shape and thicker flesh, sweeter than a green jalapeno but not a good red one.

• hidesertca
    10 years ago

I really wanted to try them this year but I couldn't find the seedlings anywhere to purchase them, hopefully next year I can track some down.

• Cat Rowe
    8 years ago

I am growing Mexibells this year. So far, the plant is growing well and producing fruit. I am searching for recipes. All I can find is one where you cut the pepper lengthwise and stuff with beef, corn, rice, beans, tomatoes and mexican-style spices. Top with cheese and bake. If anyone has any recipes to share using Mexibelles, I would apreciate them. Thanks kindly!

• Sarah M.
    3 years ago

I'm growing Mexibelle and they have been weird. They definitely don't look like bell peppers though they have the lobes sort of. They're growing beside jalapenos so I think they may have cross pollinated? Because they are SPICY. Probably as much as a jalapeno. I don't know if I just didn't grow them well but it's my first time. This is how they all look.

• R Mo
    3 years ago

I think talking bout two different hybrids. I grown Cajun belle’s for three seasons now. Early they are not as hot, later when stressed by heat they get hotter. I going to try mexibelles this year also.

• R Mo
    3 years ago

anybody make pepper flakes out of hot yellow banana peppers? I had several late last fall and dehydrated them and made crushed pepper flakes. Very unique taste. I also made crushed pepper flakes out of Cajun belles and big Jim’s. They also have mild unique taste.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living