Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salevene

Chili Oil - Recipe

salevene
9 years ago

So I want to make a hot oil for cooking and dipping foods. I went to the world wide web, but couldn't seem to find a good consistent recipe. With that said, I wanted to take it to the experts!

Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• kclost
    9 years ago

It kind of depends on what you like. I like a version like you find in Chinese offerings. It is a very thick combination of dried pepper flakes with enough oil to make it spreadable not pourable...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I am looking forward seeing members post some recipes for this.
    Bruce

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Not exactly a cooking oil type, but i normally use extra virgin olive oil. I keep it simple and don't have any fancy recipes.

Last season I sliced up a bunch of ripe Aji peppers, what i had on hand, put them into the bottles, let them sit on the counter for a day, then threw them in the fridge. The flavor passes into the oil more quickly at room temperature. But let it sit on the counter for too long and the peppers start to ferment, then i become concerned with anaerobic activity.

Wifie and myself pour it onto salads, pasta, tomato sauce, bread sticks, etc. It tends to go fast, and last year's batch was probably my best one.

For light frying, or Chinese style, i'd probably go with Canola. But i don't know how well the peppers or flakes would hold up to a 20-30 minute fry (burning, smell, an off taste, etc)

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia Chili Oil article

This post was edited by sjetski on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 22:44

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I just put a bunch of dried pods, like Thai, Pequins, and Ghosts in a small pan along with some mashed garlic pods, cover with EVOO, bring to a simmer for ten minutes, cover, and let it set for a couple days, strain and put in a bottle. You can also add a little Annatto to it for that red color. I don't like to refrigerate EVOO as it tends to clot up.
    A good dipping oil is this: Put a rough chopped garlic clove in a pestle, along with a teaspoon of dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt, and moisten it up with a few drops of EVOO. Mash and stir really well, all while adding more oil, until you get a half cup or so in the pestle. Let it set a few hours, and break out the bread. Slap 'yo mama...

• Sam_thepepperman
    9 years ago

I haven't tried this recipe but thought it might be worth sharing, I'm also interested to see other people's posts and ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: LG SZECHUAN CHILI OIL

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I had to look up "EVOO". LOL.
    Any way, those recipes sound pretty good. I wish I had some bread sticks now.
    Bruce

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

My current favorite oil is grapeseed. It's nearly flavorless and has a higher burning point than even peanut oil. It's also cheap. You'll find it with the specialty olive oils, usually on the top shelf. Just look for a purple label.

• sjetski
    9 years ago

TomT is right, extra virgin olive oil will clot up in the fridge. But when you have 4 or 5 bottles you need low temps to store it for a while :p (fermentation, etc). I deal with the clotting by scooping it out with a clean butter knife, then promptly throw the bottle back in the fridge.

And Bruce, it is awesome on breadsticks, especially if you've used different pepper types to get that complex flavor.

Fresh pods will release their liquids and oils, whereas dried pods will mostly release flavor ... just a personaly preference thing imho but i think fermentation is less of a concern with dried pods. You can make a batch of each to try for yourself, i'm sure none of it would go to waste :-).

Steve

Sponsored