Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Mystery Pepper Update

Phildeez
12 years ago

Well, the largest one has some size on it. Most of the flowers after have dropped in the heat but this one is starting to look like a cayenne. The purple stems still throw me off, I wonder what causes that.

Thoughts?

Ty!

-Phil

Comments (14)

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

i am quite jealous! thats my thought! :) nice looking pepper!

Eric

• Hydropepergrow
    12 years ago

i have cayenne pepers too and my stems r purple too but theyr not yellow their bright green

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think purple stems can vary within the same variant. A lot of my peppers in the ground near this one have purple stems.

You are right about the yellow pod, I hadn't really noticed that.

I am leaning towards a Kelantan chili. It is too wide at the top to be cayenne I think after looking at more pics.
    http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&gl=us&source=mog&aq=f&oq=&aqi=-k0d0t0&fkt=58&fsdt=6248&cqt=&rst=&htf=&his=&maction=&q=kelantan+pepper#i=1

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

No idea, but I'm following with interest.
    The purple stems are very nice. A few of my plants have purple stems (striped),
    others just have purple "knuckles" at the nodes and branch connections.

Josh

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh, I believe all of my plants in the ground have purple joints and others are almost entirely purple like the mystery Thai. I will take a look when I get home later. I am really wondering whether it is genetic or environmental.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Probably both ;-)
    The sun tends to enhance the purple coloration.

Josh

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

the purple is caused by an antioxidant flavanoid called Anthocyanin, common in all members of the family solanacae, or nightshade. Anthocyanin, is used by the peppers to attract pollenators, and also act as a sort of sunscreen, the purple will be more prevelent in plants that get 8 or more hours of direct sunlight per day. you will notice the flavor of the purple stemmed plants, will be slightly more astringent, or acidic than the same variety w/ less anthocyanin. hope this is helpful

• kenoe
    12 years ago

I have a mystery pepper as well, I love the fruity flavor and intense heat of this one but I cannot figure out what kind of pepper this is. My dad gave them to me, said they were a scotch bonnet and I've tried every type of scotch bonnet available and they taste and even smell different. If someone could help a new grower out I'd appreciate it. I want tons more of these If I can figure out what these are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

• romy6
    12 years ago

Looks like a red hab too me.

• kenoe
    12 years ago

I talked to someone today who tried the pepper, he said it looked and taste like a safi red. But I have never heard of that. He loved the pepper and asked if I had more. Lol I would just like to find out what it is. Does anyone here have any expierence with the safi? My plant looks really strange it has huge leaves on the bottom and little leaves at the top. The bottom leaves are bigger than my hand. Thanks for the info romy but I don't think that these are red habs. I could be wrong but I don't think they are.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

check out data base below.
    Safi Red and Safi

Here is a link that might be useful: Data base

• kenoe
    12 years ago

Hey smokemaster thanks for the post, those look almost identical to what I have. Are these common types of peppers? My dad just told me again that they are a scotch bonnet. I saw a link where the safi was called a scotch bonnet as well. They originated somewhere in the carribean. He is 100 % sure he got them from a friend who lives in Jamaica.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

It's a Moroccan Scotch Bonnet.

Maybe start another post so others can add more info.

It seems there is a Safi (habanero),Safi Red (Scotch Bonnet)and a Safi Annuum as far as I see from different seeds in my collection...At least by the labels and what I've grown.

• kenoe
    12 years ago

How rare are those? Lol this is going to be a difficult task. Lol I'll definately look into the Moroccans. Once again thanks.

Sponsored