Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

The plant tag said Thai chili, but...

Babka NorCal 9b
9 years ago

Every year I grow one Jalapeno or Fresno plant and one hot Thai chili plant. That is what I thought I was doing this year too, but someone must've switched tags. This year the plant (that was labeled Thai Chili Pepper) is making these whoppers. They aren't very hot, but the heat goes to the back of my throat. The skin is easy to bite through, and when cooked they are soft, unlike Thai Dragons. What do I have here? Help ID?

-Babka

{{gwi:1182184}}

Comments (16)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

I grew the same peeper before its either a Thai variety or Kung Pao variety was never able to nail it down one to the other. Pic contains transition of colors green to red.

Mark

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Looks like Chile De Arbol to me. Got a pic of the plant?

Kevin

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

i must confess most of the kung pao / thai / cayenne types look really similar and is hard for me to tell what is what.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the Quick responses!

The Thai chiles that I have grown in the past were smaller, about 1-1/2" long and 1/4" diameter...just like the ones in the Asian stores here labeled "Thai Peppers" They are the kind you would find in prik nam pla at a Thai restaurant in Bangkok. Incredibly hot.

I'll take a photo of the plant when the sun gets off of it (too much contrast right now 1/2 shade and 1/2 sun on it).

I sure does look like a Kung Pao, or close relative, with that little twist at the end. I bought it at Summerwinds Nursery here in Santa Clara, CA. They don't sell the more exotic varieties so it must be something relatively common.

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the plant, on the left, next to a Jalapeno.

Babka

{{gwi:1182186}}

This post was edited by Babka on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 20:57

9 years ago

Leaves look a little large maybe for De Arbol. Are there a bunch of spindly branches like a "tree?"

Kevin

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it does branch a lot more than the jalapeno next to it.

-Babka

9 years ago

Not sure about Kung Pao, but the Chile De Arbol grows very spindly branches but the leaves are pretty narrow compared to Japs and many others. Sort of like a Serrano plant if you've ever grown them. And, unlike Kung Paio, I've seen them as starts at many garden centers.

Might be similar to the kung pao. Anybody know?

Anyhow, it's a very common pepper in Mexican cuisine and one of my favorites. They're versatile in the amount of dishes/salsa/sauces that they're used in, but they're pretty much a "ripen to red and dry" type pepper. Awesome flavor, pretty damn good heat, and very prolific.

Here's a classic pic of one loaded down with ripened pods.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile De Arbol

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think I have grown those having the impression that they were Korean. If this is the same thing, they are with no heat when smaller.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link. Those, however appear to be smaller more like the ones I see in the Asian stores. Some of those have pics of them growing UP, like fingers. I had those one year. I have Mark Miller's "The Great Chile Book" and it shows the chile de arbol as smaller and thinner than what I have today.

Mine are still growing, flowers with fruits hanging downward and the shortest ones are at least 5" long and they have that twist at the end, like the Kung Pao.

I'll keep watching them as they grow and ripen. Yum!
    -Babka

9 years ago

Nope. The de Arbol grow down and are actually quite long -- about 4-6".

The ones I've seen in Asian stores dried in the bag actually remind me much of Japones(Japanese in Spanish). They grow upright in clusters like many Thai varieties and are about 2-3" long and have a smother skin.

The length and shape in your pic is what caught my eye on De Arbol.

But, what do I know? I'm far from the expert on pod I.D.

Seysonn: Not sure if you had De Arbol or not. But, funny you mentioned the heat level. it really doesn't come out unless you toast them first. Great, great pepper though, imo.

Kevin

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Yeah not the same as the pic I posted those pods are growing downward. And the leaves are much larger might just be a De Arbol but I would not know since I have never grown them. Let your peppers go through color changes and post a ripe pod.

Mark

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

The 8 or so Thai chilis that I've grown have always had pods 1.5" - 2", upright, and orange. The plants looked nothing like Babka's - more like Mark's. Don't know what it is.

Dennis

9 years ago

Yeah Mark. Different than a De Arbol. With De Arboles, a cageless plant would have the spindly branches lying almost flat on the ground like a pampas bush from the weight of foliage and fruit.

Kevin

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our local Asian food stores have them packed fresh with a mix of green orange red. Little 1-1/4" x 1/4" skinny straight peppers. We have a strong Asian/Indian influence here and even our chain Safeway offers at least 6 different kinds of fresh chiles. They just call them "Thai Pepper".

I'll be watching and eating these long ones this year and will see what sort of flavor ripeness brings.

-Babka

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

De Arbol actually comes in upright and pendant pod varieties to add to the confusion. There are so many "Thai chiles" out there that it is hard to nail them down.

Josh