Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper plants not growing well.

Posted by cobra1713 So Cal high Desert (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 16:05

Hello,

this is my first time planting peppers and some of them are not doing well. They are mostly hot and sweet banana papers. They are in containers (12" black nursery pots), half of them are growing well (very thick plants and bearing frut) the other half are not growing many leaves and loosing the leaves on the bottom half of the plant. I heard this could be due to over watering the plants but I water them all the same
and half are doing great.

I think the issue could be the soil. I used organic choice MG for some and left over bulk cheap soil on the rest. I am fertilizing with organic fish fertilizers and a 6-10-10 mix at different times of coarse.

Any ideas as to how to get them to grow stronger and fuller leaves? I ask because they are only producing about one fruit each, I think because there are only leaves on the top 1/4 of the plant.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper plants not growing well.

Don't guess on the watering. Let the plant tell you that it needs water by drooping leaves. (Observed when it's cool, not in the heat of the day.) It could be that one type of soil is retaining more water than the other type, causing you to over-water some even when you "water them all the same".

Get to the point where you *know* that they're getting the right amount of water. Then we can talk about other steps.

Also, moisture probes are really inexpensive. You might pick one up next time you're at the store.

Dennis

o

I agree.
You could also put a wooden kabob skewer into the pot to determine if the soil is drying.

I would use a higher Nitrogen fertilizer. No plant that I know of uses NPK in a 6-10-10 ratio.

In the garden, I'm using standard Fish Emulsion, 5-1-1 ratio.

Josh

o

I will take your suggestions and report back.
The fish fertilizers I am using is 5-1-1. I am mixing up a gallon worth to water 10 containers about every three weeks, does that seem enough?

o

First 1/2 your plants are doing well, I am guessing that those are in the MG soil and the ones doing poorly are in the other soil. MG usually has slow release feed for 3 mo and this generic may not have enough and the three week wait for the fish 5-1-1 is not cutting it. What was stated above about watering follow, not all pepper plants even same variety need water at the same time though it would be easier if they did. Pot size also plays a factor in how much you water.

I would also recommend using something like foliage pro 9-3-6 for those not in the MG soil and after 3 mo from when you first used the MG soil add this to them also.

o

https://picasaweb.google.com/113828927180649827900/PepperPlants#5756184410168994866

https://picasaweb.google.com/113828927180649827900/PepperPlants#576184556813996434

here are some pics just for reference, am going to pick up the moisture meter tonight after work

o

Sorry could not figure out how to post them from my phone but the links work

o

They do look pretty wet. How much sun are they getting?

o

Agree with DMForcier they do look wet. Also noticed the ones that do not look like they are doing well have what looks to be mulch on the top layer of the pots. Did you add mulch or is that the way the soil came with wood in it? If you added or the soil came with wood chips that could be the problem.

o

That is the basic Kellogg brand potting soil that looks like mulch

o

Is it a possibility to nix those ones and repot to a better soil? If not they may be better off cleaned and placed into the ground. I think that the cause of the leaf drop and growth is that woody soil.

o

The woodchips breaking down steal nitrogen from the plant. If you can't repot, adding nitrogen to the soil would probably help.

o

The woodchips breaking down steal nitrogen from the plant. If you can't repot, adding nitrogen to the soil would probably help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here