Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Are they real?

chilliwin
10 years ago

First time growing super hots always have questions from the germination till yield fruits.

7 Pod Brain Strain:

{{gwi:1176190}}

7 Pod BS another plant:

{{gwi:1182439}}

Ghost Orange:

{{gwi:1182440}}

Are they real?

Caelian

Comments (39)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not sure yet about your Ghost orange.

Here is a pic of my 7 pot brain I grew last year.

Mark

• Djole
    10 years ago

They don't really look too much like BS. Where did you get the seeds from?

Djole

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark, nice pictures and pod.

The Orange ghost has smooth skin and I am expecting their particular bumpy skin.

Caelian

• tsheets
    10 years ago

That's a beautifully shaped pod, Mark.

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

have not grew any Bhut orange yet but the pods you have there don't look to much like a bhut they are to short & smooth have grew thousands of red bhuts unless its a variation coming from what ever the bhut was crossed with to get the orange color .

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The brain strain don't look like brain strain.

The Orange Bhut is a hybrid - not a true mutation of Bhut Jolokia - and it has smooth skin, unfortunately. Yours may be Orange Bhut, but they look a bit short...time will tell.

As far as I know, only the Yellow and Chocolate Bhut Jolokia are true mutations.

Josh

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for the opinions.

Caelian

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Jim Duffy says the peach is a natural variant. although mine sure isn't a Bhut, I'll have to post a pic, it looks more like a green cherry pepper right now (I didn't get it from Jim, but I got it from someone who is considered reputable among the chileheads).
    Pam

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, please upload the pictures I would like to see.

Now I have learned a little bit about container gardening. Next season I would be a bit easier than this season. I missed ghost this season, the brown are dying, red are so young, only one yellow she is a sunburn survivor and most of my ghosts are orange now.

Josh, thank you for the ghost information.
    Caelian

10 years ago

Hey, Pam, I think you're right.
    Jim and I were discussing the differently colored Bhuts yesterday, mainly the orange and the white. I forgot about the Peach Bhut, which certainly looks like a Bhut with its pod-shape and blistered skin.

Another thing I'm noticing - the Red and Peach "Ghost Scorpions" look more like Bhuts than most of the Nagas that folks are calling Bhuts.

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Howdy Caelian (and Josh)
    how's this? Think it's a bhut? ;-)

ok Josh, so answer me this... Peach and Orange are essentially the same color, are Peach Bhuts and Orange Bhuts different? Guess I'll have to get my Peach Bhuts from Jim this time and stay away from the orange ones.

umm, Josh, your last sentence has got my head spinning. ;-) I assume "Ghost Scorpions" you are meaning a cross? Elaborate?

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, thanks for the picture.

Caelian

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

this is what my biggest brain strain pod looked like this morning.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice picture and pod, Judo.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yesterday I talked with the 7 Pod seeds seller he is a well known local professional gardener and he told me the first flower should be nipped off!

Now I am confused about the first flowers of my plants. His advice seems to me right. Because my first scorpion pods do not have tails yet and not growing big. However the other younger pods on the same plant are getting bigger with tails and bumpy skin. The first pods still remain without much bumpy skin. Gardening is a lot to learn one after another :-)

In any case still I love my plants that I have grown from the seeds :-) I really enjoy every time I look at them.

Some of our members may have some expert opinions.

Caelian

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

lucky you. I don't have to cut off my flowers. on all but the thai's and tabascos many of them fall off on their own just to spite me.

10 years ago

Hello, all!
    Caelian, the first flowers on my plants fall off without my help, so I've never been able to conduct a test ;-)

Pam, the Peach and Orange Bhut are quite a bit different. The Peach are a peach cream color and the orange are, well, orange...

This year, the hybrid scorpion X bhut - "Jay's Ghost Scorpion" - has been very popular. Although it is a hybrid, the pods look more like Bhuts than most of the peppers that people are calling Bhuts. But that's just a digression.

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Hey Josh.

phooey! ;-) haha, I guess I'm one of those weird women, to me, peach IS orange. ;-) But, that is interesting, I assumed that the peach bhut and the orange bhut were one in the same, people just calling them different names... You have convinced me, I will get some seeds from Jim for next year. And, BTW, my orange bhut doesn't have the flavor of a bhut, it tastes just like an annuum.

Interesting about the hybrid.... sheesh, there's so many varieties, how can anyone keep up? Grant, junglerain, sent me his list recently, OMG! my head is still spinning. I should count how many hybrids he's working on right now. I barely have time to take care of the plants I have.

Pam

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We may have the same situation but the stories are different sometimes. The 7Pod seeds seller's theory of nipping off the first flower would be questionable, who knows the truth. When we got problems the different stories and theories are appeared. I am interested every stories I have heard about container gardening. Here is a new story about a healthy Ghost Brown losing in LOW pH level container soil. Lower than 3.5: The Ghost lost leaves, flowers and appeared sign of many multiple problems. She was very healthy when I re-potted to this LOW pH level soil. That time I did not test the soil pH after I got the problem I did a soil test and found it was LOW. After re-potting I was waiting many days for her improvement and considered it could be re-potting stress but never getting better. She was not alone some of my healthy seedlings were also got the same fate.

It was not easy to investigate the problems for a beginner so re-potting in a better soil was an option.

{{gwi:1182441}}

Here she is:

{{gwi:1182442}}

The plant in the picture may not look bad but in fact it is pretty bad.

Pam, " And, BTW, my orange bhut doesn't have the flavor of a bhut, it tastes just like an annuum." I was thinking my Ghost Orange would be taste like original Ghost :-(

Thank you for the info.

Winter is back here, cloudy, cold and windy :-(

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 5:38

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one was in pH LOW soil, it is a Habanero Tree :

{{gwi:1182443}}

Caelian

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Caelian:

I guess 3.5 is TOO low, huh? Your others at 5.0 seem to look GREAT. Why don't you try to help out the low ones by adding some lime or wood ashes? Can't hurt at this point.

Kevin

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, they were in the LOW pH soil and I re-potted in soil pH level between 5.0 - 6.0 about 15 days ago. Still they are very weak but I see the sign of improvement. I do not have any clue how the soil pH level was so low, one of the forum members told me the possibility of soil contamination.

Some of my 7 Pod BS could be real :-)

{{gwi:1182444}}

{{gwi:1182445}}

What should I call this UGLY DUCKLING :-)

{{gwi:1182446}}

It looks like the Scary Movie's mask :-)

Thank you for the tips.
    Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 13:22

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Updates:

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend (pepperlover.com seeds)

{{gwi:1182447}}

{{gwi:1182448}}

Caelian

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I got my Peach Bhuts from Aji Joe(not isolated seeds).
    50% grew Peach-pinkish Bhut looking pods,the others were red.
    The Peach were SUPER PRODUCTIVE.
    Not any where near Bhut hot but a super hot on the low end of the scale.

There are also a lot of yellow Bhuts out there that were crosses that,At least for a few grow outs seem stable.

The actual mutation/yellow bhut didn't happen for a few seasons after Yellow Bhuts (CARDI?)were being sold as far as I know,
    Just like the White Bhut is now.

Most of the Chocolate Scorpions and 7 pots I've grown end up being just a little hotter,bumpier chocolate habs in general.
    Look nasty but don't deliver.

When they do deliver they grow different stuff in isolation most times.

I never saw much difference between Orange Bhut and Orange/red Naga,closer to Naga Morich a lot of times that can vary between red and orange red at times.
    One is just a lighter orange /red.

I think it is a sales name thing...

Same with a lot of the other supers.

The color they are sold as being does happen so people pick them at whatever color ,BUT if they left the pod on the plant another week it would change color.

Now there is a acceoted RED Douglah because people were picking the pods in the brown stage and not waiting for them to really mature.
    Douglah used to mean a brown pod when ripe.
    Ya Douglah means mixed raced people(Slang)in Trinidad but that isn't why the Douglah was called Douglah.
    Douglah meant a brown pod originally.
    With the crosses or whatever,now Douglah can be red or brown.Look for an orange and yellow next...

Couldn't be for sales purposes could it?

Seems,if it is hot and red it could still be sold as a 7 pot or scorpion(depending on pod shape or whatever).

Too much $ in seeds sales of NEW strains etc these days and too many Vendors selling crosses that are only a season or 2 old.
    New names rule along with looks of the one nasty looking pod from that plant that was posted.

The reputable Vendors are now selling stuff as F1 or whatever.
    So the buyer knows what to expect.
    A good thing in my opinion.

Takes a long time to see if something is really stable(hybrid or not),then you get into IF you really have a new strain.
    Most stuff these days is ,in the long run sell any seeds for big $ rules.

Add the guys selling or trading seeds from pod sales and you get a lot of crosses etc. to add to the super hot madness.

It just seems to me that I just want to know what I'm buying or trading.
    If it is seed from a pepper I like the looks of and the vendor says it's a new Hybrid or whatever I'll still probably buy it.
    If it doesn't grow true I'm OK with that.
    BUT if I buy something they advertise as whatever and I get Jalapenos I'm pissed.
    They should have advertised it as a Jalapeno X with a super or whatever-F!...Not as a new strain of whatever.

Guess I should get off my soapbox. LOL

Not all seed vendors suck,just enough of them to piss me off...I'm sure the same thing happens with other people too.
    I've bought about every seed all the U.S. vendors sell over the years(my collection is easily 5000 varieties,strains and crosses).
    MOST Vendors are great.
    Lately though a LOT of new Vendors are bunk.

• teyo
    10 years ago

interesting post smokemaster, i'd love to hear which vendors you dislike though i know here is not the place to write that. i have noticed many of the stuff you did too, and i agree on marketing hypes. it makes me angry that some sellers think of buyers as idiots, an honest approach and correct labeling would go further.

i order my seeds from a single european vendor, i don't even bother with american ones and their insane prices anymore. so i buy varieties that interest me (that vendor has most of the popular ones anyhow) and if they don't turn out exactly as expected i still have an option to select for taste and good growth, which is ultimately the most important part for me, not whether it fits the supposed image of a variety. luckily i've had just one surprise so far, even though i've been growing for a number of years.

lately i've decided to politely ask people for trades or a couple of seeds to buy when i see someone has an interesting plant that is first and foremost prolific and vigorous. then when i grow them i can select for taste, and looks will be on the last place. i'm a geneticist by profession, might as well use that and run my own breeding program.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smokemaster, you explained very well, thank you. $ makes so many bad things :-). 5000 varieties WOW ! you have a chili botanical garden it would be very nice to see all those plants. My friend's super hot roof top garden has been started visiting by many people.

Right now I have plants from only two seed sources. The 7 Pod seed packet would be F1. Three of them are seemed to be real, one is completely different and others are not yet podding. This season I will know the taste of what I have been growing and next season I will grow only the varieties I like. My favorite chinense hot chili is the Red Ghost. The time will tell what I have to decide for the next season.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The beginner's container garden :-) July 2013

{{gwi:1182449}}

Caelian

• tony469
    10 years ago

Even on morugas the first pods near the bottom of plant look funny..then plant puts out true to form..if its not a cross.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tony, very nice pods you have. One of my morugas' first pods look so funny and very small. I have been told moruga is not yet a stable variation.

Thanks, for sharing.
    Caelian

10 years ago

As far as I know, Moruga is an older strain (compared to the newcomers), and is stabilized.

However, many of the seeds being traded could be hybrids from who knows garden. Similarly, the Bhut Jolokia is very stable...and yet look at all the hybrids and Naga-esque pods that folks are growing. That contributes to the idea that the strain isn't stable.

Josh

• tony469
    10 years ago

Yellows now producing true to form

• tony469
    10 years ago

Reds too:)

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Remember I posted a pic (much higher up in the posts) of what was supposed to be an Orange Bhut? I contacted the vendor recently with photos, apparently they had a seed mixup last year, what I have is Trinidad Cherry pepper. Never heard of it before, they are hot, and taste good, guess I'll collect seeds from it. It's nice to get that mystery solved.
    Pam

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think so, Josh. In the forums there are so many different opinions, sometimes needs to be filtered to get the right one.

I had a question about the tail of scorpion and got some opinions, scorpion may not have tail/not stable.... I also have read Moruga is more stable than Butch T :-)

My opinion about pod size and shape should be very unreliable, first lack of knowledge, my opinions are based on my plants I have grown. I have one plant it has different shape and size of pods. Some of them have tails, some of them are very big with bumpy skin without tail and some of them are small/smooth skin. Are they real!

I think it could be my mistake, for example when the plant needs nutrients or sunlight or warmness I could not provide them so the plant might be adapted to the environment they have grown as a result the pod size/shape may be different even the taste. One of my friends have grown Ghost, he told me flavor is Ghost but no HEAT :-). Last year my Habanero taste like bell pepper but it looked like habanero.

T.Scorpion MB: Are they Real?

{{gwi:1182451}}

Tony very nice pods enjoy it. Could you please tell me the seed source? My seeds are from www.pepperlover.com.

Pam, you got a very reasonable explanation. You could be the first who has grown Trinidad Cherry Pepper here, enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Ghost Brown's progress:

{{gwi:1182452}}

Habanero Tree's progress:

{{gwi:1182453}}

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:1182454}}

My first colorful pod of this season :-)

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ghost Brown:
    {{gwi:1182455}}
    Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rocoto De Seda:

{{gwi:1182457}}

Are they real! They are getting bigger day by day but the shape are somewhat looks strange.

Caelian

Sponsored