Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoneys_fatali

Root bound Fatali?

stoneys_fatali
9 years ago

When checking soil for watering with my finger, I notice just under the surface (all around the container) I'm touching roots just under the surface.
I planted it in a 3 gallon pot which looking back now, was probably a mistake. It is dropping flowers, and some leaves are slightly yellow.
Does that sound like what this is?
If so, I will transplant into a 10 gallon container.
Thoughts.

Stoney

Comments (9)

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

It should be fine in there still, but repotting will be beneficial. All mine in 5gals are one giant root ball at this point.

Jay

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jay. I'm off tomorrow. I'll put it in a larger pot. I read another post where members were advising to do it when it's cooler.

Is it okay to water it before transplanting? It needs water but I did not water yet until I know for sure.

I just bought a bag of pro-mix HP. Been wanting to try it..see what all the hype is about :-)

Stoney

This post was edited by stoneys_fatali on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 22:21

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

I water after the repotting. When I've tried it before, the roots get all soggy and try to get unruly on me. If severely root bound tease the bottom and side roots loose before the repot. Give them a healthy soak once they hit the new home too.

Jay

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

Yellowing leaves indicate you might be overwatering. If you are sure you are not overwatering then they need some fertilizer. If your roots are rootbound this may be why they are not taking up nutrients or even water properly. I am sure all my plants' roots are crowded but they are still growing well.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I see in photos that Jay and Judo (both in central Florida) have 2 year old plants in 5 gal. buckets and they are doing fine. Root bound plants, if fertilized won't get yellow and drop leave. As Jay said, probably your plant is over watered and under fed (Nitrogen).
    For your climate (SoCal, 8+ months of growing season), 3gal pot sounds too small. The next upgrade to 10 gals. is probably a wide jump. I would do 5-6. But obviously bigger pot won't hurt. The only thing is the cost (pot +potting mix)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

So, if you have a 5 gallon container and it is totally rootbound, can you cut the roots by half and re-pot with new soil.

Would not the plant continue to re-root in the new soil or will cutting some roots off kill them?

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 18:18

• seysonn
    9 years ago

So, if you have a 5 gallon container and it is totally rootbound, can you cut the roots by half and re-pot with new soil.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I think that is what they do that with house plants often. Trimming and cutting roots also keeps the plant growth/size down. That is a BONSAI practice to some extent.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Superficial (surface) roots are normal.

Cutting off roots won't hurt the plant if you don't get too crazy about it. Too few roots and they won't be able to keep up with the water demand of the foliage, but that (generally) just results in some wilting.

But I don't see that cutting roots will help. If you're going back into the same size pot the plant will just get root bound again. So you have to decide: either being root bound is okay, or you have to move up to a bigger pot.

Water *after* re-pot, not before. A dryer soil is less heavy, thus easier to handle, and will be much more coherent, meaning it won't fall to pieces before you can got it into it's new home. Don't be afraid of re-potting, just go slow and easy and all will be fine. It's one of those garden tasks that I enjoy because it puts me in contact with that hidden half of the plant. Much one can learn from what's going on under the dirt...

Bon chance,
    Dennis

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I put him in a 16" (across top) pot..what is that? 5 gallon?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES