Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjohansen_gw

Plants are out, and they're NOT happy. Help!

cjohansen
10 years ago

When I planted out 12 days ago, several of my plants where quite root bound and stunted. Some of them, particularly some Jalapeños and Hot Hungarian Wax, had even started turning pale and/or yellow. As expected, these plants have shed quite a bit of foliage, but I've been waiting for them to perk up, especially since we've had some good sun lately. However, it looks to get worse. Even more worrying; I'm seeing similar issues with more and more plants, and now I'm really worried.

The raised bed is filled with 50/50 top soil and garden compost. I sprinkled a little bone meal in each hole before planting. I loosened the root balls quite a bit on all plants, as most of them were a little or very root bound.

Weather since planting out has been all over the place: We've had quite a lot of rain. Luckily, the bed drains well, and dries up in less than a day after heavy rain. We've had mild winds, and also quite a bit of sun. When the sun is up, it does tend to get a little intense, but this is rarely for long periods at a time. Most of all, it's been cloudy and pretty low temperatures, from 50, up to 80 (full sun). Nights, we have around 50, sometimes a little lower, but no lower than ~40 for the past couple of weeks.

Here's the healthiest end of my bed right now. There are some Habaneros on the side here, and a Serrano and Aji Limon in the middle (the big ones).

{{gwi:1182781}}

Even though the top of the Habanero looks good, its lower foliage is slowly deteriorating. It may be for too much shadow down there?

{{gwi:1182782}}

I found one leaf that had fallen off that I suspect has been sunburned. The picture is a little out of focus, but it had a cloudy almost white part near the tip.

{{gwi:1182784}}

Here's more sad looking Habanero foliage.

{{gwi:1182786}}

Even the Serrano, which up until now have been looking quite good, is starting to show worrying symptoms. Notice how the back of the leaf is stained somehow. I'm wondering if this could be sunburn.

{{gwi:1182787}}

The Aji Limon already lost several good leaves, and it looks like it'll loose more still.

{{gwi:1182788}}

I suspected I may have overwatered the plants, or that they got too much rain, but the bed seems to drain really well. To be absolutely sure I waited long enough with the watering, I waited for slight drooping, like this Poblano:

{{gwi:1182790}}

The soft leafs is my signal to issue more water. Leafs...

Comments (32)

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Hmm, yellowing is usually a sign of over-watering. The ground may have been saturated when you transplanted and you weren't aware.

Have you done a pH test? What is the raised bed soil made up of?

I wouldn't worry too much about speckled leaves and sunburn (yes, that is sunburn in the picture above). I subjected my superhots to a wicked sunburn recently (I posted about it in the veggie forum) which eviscerated a lush fatali. It has since sprouted all new leaves.

The speckling and loss of lower leaves is completely normal, the plant discards the leaves it doesn't require as it grows upwards.

Just my 1.5 cents.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The soil is 50/50 top soil and compost. I don't know the PH, but will see if I can measure it somehow.

I guess I can try holding off water too, but it's hard when some plants are drooping from thirst...

Any other possibilities?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yep, sunburn, transplant shock (exacerbated by the condition some were in when transplanted), and possible excess moisture. I'd honestly just give them time to adjust, and perhaps create a bit of shade for them.

Josh

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Maybe you can try some fertilizer or plant food, but it does look like over watering. You can always water one plant and not another, use a cup and fill it with water targeting plants that need it and plants that don't. Also, I've read that watering at nighttime really helps plants because its when the most photosynthesis occurs, give it a whirl.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

To determine if too wet, stick a finger into the soil. Is it wet, moist or dry? (Looks dry to me.)

After they are thoroughly moistened, follow-up the next day w/ another irrigation but with soluble (dissolved-in-water) nitrogen. They look like they're starved.

This post was edited by jean001a on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:52

• mbellot
    10 years ago

I'm going to second Jean001a's suggestion for nitrogen.

It looks like there is a good bit of wood in that compost, as the wood decays it robs nitrogen from the soil.

I know first hand, I had a very similar problem last year with everything in the garden (tomatoes, peppers, corn, etc). I ended up doubling down on the nitrogen by putting chicken poop in the soil around the plants and also watering with one of those Miracle Grow hose attachments.

Things eventually rebounded, but it took time.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. When I took these pictures, at least the top four inches or so of soil was dry as sand. I'm going to dig all the way down in a corner to investigate whether it's very wet further down.

As the plants are in compost I didn't think I needed to keep fertilizing them, especially since I sprinkled in bone meal. Maybe I added too little, and maybe it's too slow releasing. I have no idea.

Will pick up some nitrogen and try that tomorrow.

• robeb
    10 years ago

50% top soil could be a problem. It compacts over time. Probably too late this season to change that.

If I were you, I'd put down a thick layer of mulch around each plant. That will help keep moisture levels consistent, help keep out weeds, prevent soil splashback, etc.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked around and can't seem to find pure nitrogen fertilizer. Is it ok to add some 2.7-0.4-2.7 tomato feed, or do I risk fertilizer burn that way?

• don555
    10 years ago

12 days is nothing for plants to acclimatize to outside, particularly in a northern climate (since peppers prefer hot, southern climates). My outdoor transplants are stunted too, and they've been outdoors for about 3 weeks. Give them time and a bit of fertilzer.

And 2.7-0.4-2.7 fertilzer won't risk fertilizer burn -- I've been using 20-20-20 on mine, so about 10X stronger than what you have.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

don555: The plants started being outside on May 16th, but didn't move into the bed until 13 days ago.

I was thinking of risk of fertilizer burn not only because of the fertilizer, but the combination of what I thought was very nutritious compost and fertilizer. I will try the tomato feed, and consider getting something stronger if it doesn't work.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Also, if you can, just water the soil, try not soaking the leaves, moisture can invite different diseases and insects.

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

I would void fertilizing them for the time being. I find that is a good way to finish of a weak plant. a 50/50 mix has more than enough nutrients for them to repair and you should not risk overfertiliziing, IMO.

Some pictures look like leaves are just low to the ground and the plant us naturally dropping them, either because of direct contact with hot ground or too much moisture.

I agree to avoid watering the leaves. I only wet the leaves on extremely hot days (97F+) when the soil is saturated already. Also when they get dusty or covered with the annoying pollen that a tree craps all over my backyard (a tree that I should actually ID because it could be allelopathic).

This post was edited by Phildeez on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 10:15

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

use fish fertilizer. it's almost all nitrogen (5-0-0)

it smells like death, and your plants will carry that smell for a day or two, but it's totally worth it.

I hit my plants with a little bit of that stuff every 10 days or so, and if it weren't for my bug problems I'd have perfect plants right now (they were gorgeous before the whiteflies got serious).

also, epsom salt. mix a teaspoon per gallon (which is less than the suggested dose to keep things gentle). I do that at the same time that I use the fish stuff.

and they say to mix the bonemeal in with the soil as you're prepping it, and/or sprinkle it on the top so it gets watered in. when you put it below the plants then water them, unless I'm mistaken you're more or less just washing it out.

full disclosure: I'm a first year gardener. but I read a lot. and my plants are looking great.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your input. I see there are some opposing views on fertilizer. Not sure what to do now.

Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate MgSO4, right? I can get that at my brewer supply store :)

The plants are pretty close to the ground, since I did intentionally bury them a little in an attempt to get them as well rooted as possible. I guess I overdid it.

I have also been getting too much water on the leaves. First of all, we've had quite some rain like I mentioned, but I have also been showering the plants a little on each watering to get rid of some pollen, splash-back and so forth.

Here's my current plan of action:

• Sprinkle more bone meal on top of the soil

• Irrigate with a little bit of MgSO4 in the water

• Mulch plants with top bark

• Wait, hope for the best

As far as I understand, the bone meal is heavy on nitrogen as well. I couldn't find fish fertilizer in any of my regular shops.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

they have fish fertilizer in home depot, and I'm pretty sure they have it at lowes. I have no idea where you're located, but I'm certain it can be ordered online. it's a great investment for your plants. I've been calling it my "pepper-roids"

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

judo_and_peppers: I'll have an extra look then. I'm in Oslo, Norway by the way :)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Blood meal or fish ferts will contain low enough doses of Nitrogen as to not harm the plants and they're fast acting. At the very least, you could mix up a couple batches of Miracle Gro All Purpose a week or so apart at half strength.

Was the compost "hot" when you picked it up? Did you leach it a couple times before planting?

In any case, it's going to take some time for the compost to break down usable nutrients. I always supplement a new bed or large container with bone meal at time of compost tilling(usually a good couple months prior to planting) and then come back with some cottonseed, bone(smaller dose), and kelp meals at planting time.

As far as bone meal, typically they are LOW in N, high in P. I did, however, pick up some from Home Depot that has 6% N (Lily Miller).

Good Luck.

Kevin

10 years ago

I agree with Kevin.
    Bone meal takes a good long time before it becomes available, and it won't contain Nitrogen unless the product has it added specifically. Up in Norway, there ought to be plenty of fish emulsion / fertilizer.

I use Fish Emulsion by watering, fertilizing, then watering again. The second watering carries the emulsion into the soil and really cuts down on the odor.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

Josh,
    you don't mix yours with the water? I just mix mine into the watering can before watering.

10 years ago

Of course I mix it ;-)
    I water the soil, then apply the fertigating solution, then I water the soil again to carry the fertigating solution down into the root-zone (and to reduce the odor which, otherwise, draws raccoons and skunks).

Josh

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I vote try feeding them. It sure doesn't sound like they are being overwatered. Also, watch the new growth in addition to the old growth. If the new growth looks good, I wouldn't get too worried about the old leaves.

I use whatever miracle grow formula I have around which is closer to Don's 20-20-20 than the others mentioned above.

The compost is basically food for the little micro-beasties in the soil and the by-product is plant food. At least that's how I think of it. :-)

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Fish fertilizer should be easy enough to find in Norway, I'd think! :)

10 years ago

Cjohansen: You can always make your own fish emulsion. ;) Google homemade fish emulsion. it will take a while though.

So, for now, a regular soluble synthetic All Purpose like Miracle Gro or Foliage Pro or blood meal are probably your best bet.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

How 'bout this: Leave half alone just being sure that they are watered correctly; fertilize the other half. Wait. Compare.

I suspect a combination of things: Low nitrogen and transplantation shock. If the nitrogen isn't low, the plant just won't take up the excess unless the levels get toxic...

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone pitching in!

To make my luck worse, yesterday and today it's been raining tons. Not helping if over-watering is indeed the problem. I'm having a hoop house/roof constructed for the bed, but it's been delayed for various reasons, and I won't have it up until Saturday.

I have looked for fish fertilizers, and believe it or not - even in Norway I'm having some problems locating it. Maybe we export all our fish :) I know I can get blood meal though, so I will try that, but it looks like the plants will have to do another two days until I get to it.

On the positive side, I see some leaves lying around, but the situation hasn't significantly degraded, so it seems not to be an urgent issue. On the other hand, I'm not seeing much growth either, so something must be done before my short growing season is already over...

Christian

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Shade......

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked over stuff today, and to my pleasant surprise, things are looking both worse, and better, but totaling "better" :) There's still foliage drop and yellow plants, but I also noticed the first growth sprint since I planted out. Many plants have taken up a lot, and I saw lots of small pods - one of my thai plants currently has more than 20 pods on it, even if it's a small plant.

Current theory: "sunburn, transplant shock (exacerbated by the condition some were in when transplanted)" as pinned by Josh. This theory has been strengthened by the fact that some of the most severely root bound plants are still the ones doing the worse, while plants that were not root bound are doing pretty great.

I sprinkled blood meal on all plants today and watered in, just in case nitrogen deficiency is actually a problem. I also learned that in Norway, we use almost all fish byproducts in feed for farmed fish, and to some extent chicken...

One thing's for sure, I keep learning. Thanks so much for your input.

I'll leave you with a photo of the new detachable green house my father and I built today.

10 years ago

Good to hear things are looking up.

You need to vent that house though. Even in Norway, I imagine it's "cooking" in that thing.

Kevin

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, the green house can slide off very easily. I plan to use it during bad rain, cloudy/cold days, and during nights, but not really during days with adequate weather.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Unless it gets pretty darn cool at night (like 40's), I don't think you really need the greenhouse at this point, but, it will sure come in handy in the Fall and next Spring!

I would think the bed would drain well enough. Refresh my memory, you put a weed barrier below it, but, it drains through, right?

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

That's a lovely looking little greenhouse, and very cool that it is removable. Interesting to hear about the use of the fish... Bloodmeal is good stuff too.

Sponsored