Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will peppers keep/ and How to Keep

Posted by blazepepper Auburn, GA (7) (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 16:42

Am growing Jalapenos and Sweet Banana Peppers this year. Looks like I'm going to have an awful lot of thim. My question, once I harvest peppers, how long will they keep, and what is the best method to do so. refridgerate? or not.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will peppers keep/ and How to Keep

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers...

There's a lot of info around on the internet that tells you ways to store peppers. From what I hear, they'll only last a couple of weeks in the refridgerator if you don't preserve them somehow. The most preferred methods seem to be to pickle them (stick them in a jar of vinegar) or dry them out, but there are a couple of other options. I guess it just depends on how you want to use them in the future.

o

I'm just finishing the batch that I grew two summers ago (habaneros and cayenne). I had them in the freezer all this time and they're fine. Don't expect the crunch of a fresh one, but I've been using them in salsas and sauces and my family is still around exclaiming how hot they still are.

They're definitely a good storage commodity.

Love em.

Be well,
Elliot

o

I dry some, freeze some, and make a few pickles with the milder ones. As Elliot says the frozen ones get soft but are still great in recipes and easier to dice while aprtially frozen.

o

So, If i wanted to store some jalapenos and make poppers or something in the winter, I can simply place them in a zip lock back, fresh of the plant, and place them in the freezer until I need them? Also, if peppers are harvested and will be used within a week or 2, should they be placed in the fridge or would they do better out on the counter top? thanks

o

They will probably be too mush for something like poppers but you can get jalapenos all year at the grocery.

o

Store bought poppers are always frozen... though, maybe you'd want to deseed them before you freeze them, so you don't have to thaw them out to deseed and stuff them.

o

So, I guess my final question, If I want to take some fresh jalapenos with me to the beach, and might not use them until a week into my trip, is it ok to pick them at home and take along in a ziplock bag? if so, would this keep best in the fridge or in cooler?

o

Make chipotle powder...

First, clean your ripe jalapenos. True chipotle is red, but I like some green also.

Slice lengthwise and de-seed

I put mine on my Weber kettle and smoke for about an hour and a half and then finish in a dehydrator.

Grind in a coffee grinder.

o

Great pics and driections, Bob!

o

How long will poppers keep ?

o

I stuff with cream cheese and bacon and freeze mine and they keep for months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here