Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Leaf's dropping off

Bill_Missy
10 years ago

Hello all,

I am having some major leaf dropping from all of my plants. With or without pods. They have been perfect until this morning.

No yellowing, no bugs, no wilting, no holes, no pod droppings. They are just perfect leaves and they are falling off "just because" why?????

I gave them a dose of fert's 2 nights ago. The fert is MG water soluble 24-8-16. Just gave a normal dose of ferts. This was only the second time feeding since they have been potted in their final containers. They get water every 3-4 days when they show signs of thirst. This is happening to all plants. Bhuts, Dorset Naga, Reaper, Butch T etc.

Temps have been in the mid to high 90's during the day and mid to low 70's at night. About 90-100% humidity. No full sun as I moved them under the covered patio because of the heat/sun. They may get 2-3 hours of direct sun (East facing) in the morning 9-11 a.m.

The first picture is a Dorset Naga. (Don't mind the wilted/dried up leaves. They have wilted like that since this morning before I was able to take pictures)

I don't understand..... All advice and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Bill

This post was edited by Bill_Missy on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 17:12

Comments (14)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't mind the damp soil as they where just given a mild dose of water.

This is a Reaper

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red Devils Tongue

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, no bugs. No Aphids, no hornworms, no spiders nothing... An Ant here or there but no infestation of them.

A very concerned and pissed off first year grower.

Bill

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I had one plant do the same thing about a week ago. I also had water/fertilized it about 2 days prior to it dropping leaves. I had some others drop a few leaves, but 1 bhut dropped over half of it's leaves. It was just like you said, healthy, green leaves. I'm still not sure what caused it. The good news is that the plant is doing fine and starting to put out new leaves. The pods are still growing also, so I believe you will b ok. Good Luck, and keep us posted.

Tim

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

Some plants are sensitive to drafts and will drop their leaves. Has it been windy?

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No wind. They have survived 30-50mph winds with no problems over the past few months. Have had no wind in the past 3 days to speak of. It is effecting ALL my plants (over 100)

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Wow Bill that first picture was not a 'feel good' picture! I haven't had leaf drop like that before, but I am far from an experienced pepper grower.

The fertilizing sure does sound suspicious, it seems to be the only variable that has changed.

I use foliage pro, so am not too familiar with the miracle gro product. What is a normal dose for you? Maybe someone can help address that.

I am sure they will bounce back, but hoping some other more experienced growers can chime in.

Good luck!

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so far.... Really worried and concerned here as I literally can just sit there and watch leaves fall off for no apparent reason. To much N in the N-P-K? This would not be a cause for repotting I hope....?

I used MG water soluble 24-8-16 at normal strength. 1 Tablespoon per Gal of cool water.

Bill

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

That could have been the problem. You said you had only fertilized twice up to that point. And then you went FULL strength.

Well, most people fertilize their container plants weekly or bi-weekly with 1/4 or 1/2 strength MG or other water soluble ferts. Add in the stress of the really warm temps and I don't know.

I'll let other, more experienced, container growers weigh in here, but you may want to give the pots some good flushes of just plain water before resuming ferts. Rain water even better

Good luck. Hope you recover. Your plants were looking awesome.

Kevin.

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Hmmm. I know I feed 1 tsp. Foliage pro per gallon, aiming for once a week. With the rain my fertilizer routine is about every 1 1/2- 2 weeks. Foliage pro is 9-3-6. So 1 T. of a 24-8-16 sounds kind of much to me, but I don't know the exact ratio or specifics of miracle go.

Need some miracle gro users to pipe in here. But I think too much ferts might have done the damage. Flushing should help, but careful on letting them sit in waterlogged soil.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I have used Miracle Gro for years on my jalapenos and ring of fire and never had any issues.. so far.

I am a hefty measurer so if anything I might have dosed a little too much.

The difference may be that I use really cheap garden soil. No fancy mixes for these guys. The plants might be just panting for fertilizer because of this?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, this is interesting. I don't know what is causing it but this issue still intrigues me since I just fertilzed my plants for the first time since the first week that I put them in their summer pots way back in mid May. And, I gave them a double strength dose of FP 9-3-6 since they hadn't had any. The reason that I had not fertilized was that we have been getting so much rain that it didn't seem wise to dump more water with fertilizer on them. I finally got to the point where I figured it might start to become a problem with my 5-1-1 free draining mix so I dumped a quart of water with a double strength dose of FP in it into each plant (which was still quite wet). I was hoping the subsequent rain would dilute and distribute it well. We got the rain and the plants seem to be doing just fine. But I guess you would say it was a "Sudden" and Heavy dose. They were doing pretty well before I fertilized and I probably should have gone with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule but I was worried that with my plants blooming and setting fruit that they might start dropping blooms or having other problems if they couldn't find the nutrients they need. It has been a couple days, but I will keep an eye on them to see if anything negative happens and if so, I will report back here.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I use MG and FP (back and forth) full strength almost every time I water. I am using a 5-1-1 mix. It may be that they didn't have the tolerance, but, I really don't know. If you think that's the issue, you could flush them good. I'd say it's either that, or wait it out.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

I do not have any idea. I am very curious how it was happening and how it is going to fix it. Regular soil pH testing would be helpful to diagnose problems of a plant sometimes.

Best of luck to find a solution soon.

Caelian