Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Pepper names

I have come to the realization that Pepper names are dependent heavily on location. This is very similar to a situation I have been familiar with much longer than Pepper names. That is fish names. What we call a certain species of fish up here in the north has a completely different name down south. Up here, we have Sunfish or Bluegills. Down south, they are Brim. Up north we have Sheapshead, down south they are Drum. We have Crappie, other places have Papermouths, Specs, etc.. Then, there are the closely related but different species that are often confused such as the Walleye and Sand Pike or Sauger. The average person couldn't tell them apart to the point that they are generally considered the same species for bag limit purposes. It is all well and good when you are simply talking fish locally, but the first time I dipped a line down south, I though I was in some fantasy land with the names they were using.

I have come to realize the same thing with Peppers and the fact that we are globalized here, not just all of the US but wold wide, makes the whole name thing very confusing. Throw in a bunch of hybrids and it is a total free for all.

Oh, and then I am growing a Fish Pepper this year. I haven't decided if I should slice it or filet it.
Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 17:11

Comments (33)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

That's funny. The 1st few you mentioned, we call them the same thing YOU do, out here.

How about stuffing a crappie with some fish peppers?

Kevin

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

We tend to lump sunfish, bluegill, and brim all together and call them perch. Whereas a perch up in Michigan is more elongated like a black bass.

Fond memories of perch fishing as a kid with my grandfather in Michigan. I once caught 13 perch on one worm... or what was left of the worm by then. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

In the south we called them blue gill also shell crackers. Now I'm in the Pacific Northwest so I don't know what they are called. ; )

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

toolstack, just make up a name. That's what people seem to do with peppers.

Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

One more thing : "aji" is just another name for "Chili" (=hot pepper).

One More:
    Bhut: In Indian mythology means "ghost or demon" and "Jolokia" just means chili pepper in Indian language. Naga Jolokia is the same thing grown in the Naga land, Aswan. There might be some inter hybridization ( per Wikipedia)

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

FL here, I still use bluegill - crappie - and sheepshead... All of which are delicious!

Jay

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very few people up here eat Sheepshead. They are very plentiful and very easy to catch too, but no one wants them. Too bad, I guess. If nothing else, they make great pepper fertilizer.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

We call 'em Bluegill, too, so I guess that one works.

Seysonn, just to add, I think Naga is a reference to the Cobra (or a powerful deity taking a serpent form) in Hindi. So the Naga Jolokia are "Cobra" peppers.

Other confusing terms are "Paprika," which we typically associate with the powder made from a variety of eastern European peppers - but really just means "pepper" in general. The other is "Pimento/Pimiento," which we think of as a specific pepper, but also means "Pepper" more generally.

Josh

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Sheephead and Drum are saltwater fish here. We have red and black Drum and sheephead is a different fish. We have Bluegill and Pumpkin seed [ Both Sunfish] Crappy is a larger sunny and Perch is Perch. Is there a fresh water Sheephead? How about fresh water Drum? I know Black Drum here can run 100 lbs and are good eating catch them on clam

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I Never fish. But I bought one Sheephead once years ago. Never again. I have tried Drum too but never liked it .

On the pepper name:

Pepperon, peperoncini, peperoncino, .. are all derivatives of "pepper"

Another :
    Aci (pronounced aji) Biber: In Turkish it simply means "Chili pepper". Now the seeds are sold as a variety. haha.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn: Perfect example of what I mean. Sheepshead and Drum are one in the same.

From the Minnesota DNR web site: Freshwater Drum (Sheepshead)
    Also known as sheepshead, the freshwater drum is known for the rumbling and grunting sounds the males make to attract mates. It is a large, round-profiled, silver humpbacked fish.
    They are the same fish, with two different names. Just like Bhut Jolokia and Ghost Pepper. Some, would think they are actually different peppers. Just as you think the Drum and Sheepshead are different.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Good lookin' fish!

Josh

• GatorDave
    9 years ago

And the water behind Jay's picture is salt, not fresh. Our red and black drum (which are nothing like Sheepshead) also live in salt water.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Yeah. Interesting Bruce, how we have different impressions of the same thing. I never knew that sheephead and drum are the same. How about silver fish, anchovy and herring ? I am 90% sure that Anchovy and Silver Fish is the same. In asian market fresh/frozen are sold as "Silver Fish" and dried ones are called "anchovy". I think Flounders also go by different names

Jay ,that fish looks nice. How doe it come out of oven, cooked whole ?

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Here is a link to a picture of what we call a sheephead in northeast Ohio (lake Erie). Their teeth look like people teeth. I was taught at a young age that they are disgusting "trash" fish. Even had people tell me to kill them before your throw them back. I never did that but I never could get up the nerve to try them. Now I find that some people eat them and I even seen them on a menu once.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1182975}}

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Scott, the freshwater sheepshead there bears quite the resebelence to our saltwater versions (the head and especially mouth shape) - eg; redfish (or red drum).

As for the pic I posted up top, that wasn't my catch - just a google photo of our saltwater sheepshead which I was referring to. I do catch quite a few of them here, mainly around the pillars of docks and bridges (they love to hang around there and pick off the barnacles). As for cooking, I tend to just filet and pan fry for these. A side of fresh sliced white onion is the way to go as well.

Jay

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Here is one of my fish... I think north or south we all call em bass - or lunkers :D

Jay

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lunkers????

This is through the ice.
    Northern, Pickerel, Slimer, etc

And this guy was while fishing for Walleyes/Sand Pike/Saugers.

Catfish, Flathead, Mudcat, Channel Cat, etc...

Bruce

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Very nice indeed Bruce!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

O! Guys , have mercy. I am craving some fish now. hehe

But I will have clams on half shell with my own fresh horseradish sauce.

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

above, mudfish. yankees call them bowfin. fun fight, like a bass on cocaine.

blue catfish.

longnose gar. amazing fight

been on vacation this week,,,,, yea, all i do is fish. caught many different fish those are just the only pics i have on my laptop. caught a few largemouth bass and red breast today. lost a huge black crappie as well

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

alligator gar, longnose gar, largemouth bass, black crappie, stripper, channel cat, blue cat, flathead cat, eel, brim, redbreast, blue gill, carp..... normally whats caught in the river i live by, big pee dee river.

by far my favorite fish to eat tho is spot tail bass. aka red drum. i go to myrtle beach for that tho. also catch a lot of black sea bass, sheeps head, bluefish, flounder,...... catch an octopus often too lol. funny when they try to come in the boat. all i can hear in my head is "UNLEASH THE KRACKEN" lmao

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

and here I expected to read a page about pepper names.

I lived with the indian river in my backyard for many years. we fished all day. but my favorite is freshly caught snook from sebastian inlet, cubed breaded and fried. with lots of hot sauce.

• scott123456
    9 years ago

SCgreenthumb - mudfish/ bowfin looks like what we call dog fish. Nice catch

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

scgreenthumb1987: Yep those are "Dogfish" up north..
    I like your style though. You seem to realize that even though a lot of those fish are not good to eat, they are great fun to catch. The Gar are hard to hook, but once you do, they are crazy fighters. Just watch out for the teeth in both the Dogfish and Gar.

Here is a Lake Sturgeon and a Gar.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another good thing about these "rough fish" is they make great fertilizer......for peppers. hehehe
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Somewhere nearby is a thread about an avid fisherman that wanted to use fish guts to fertilize his peppers. Many suggestions were offered, but ultimately he didn't want to dig six feet deep...

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Bruce, nice fish, and yea man I'm all about the fight. That's where the fun is. Sure it's nice to catch eatable fish but when the bass just won't Bite and I can see gar and mudfish all around me.....

Wish I had a pic but about 9 years ago I caught a 8 ft gator gar. It was like hooking into the back bumper of a mack truck.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yah, hooking and landing them are two different things. I hooked a lake sturgeon in the Mississippi river several years ago on 8# test line. I battled it for over half an hour and after if completely jumped out of the water three or four times, I finally got it close enough to land. They guy trying to net it for me could not get the net under it as it was too long. He would scoop, but the fish either slid out backways or front ways. Finally, on the last attempt, the sinker caught in the net and the fish broke the line. It was well over 50 lbs. It would have been my biggest fish ever. Which is pretty good up north here in fresh water. I caught some bigger fish in the ocean though....200# Blue marline for one. I still have fonder memories of the fresh water fish.
    Bruce

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

I need to get out fishing again!

Jay

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

We need to add a like button to the forums lol.

Losing a fish like that is heart breaking. Happened to me more times than I'd care to think about.

2 years ago I hooked something at myrtle beach, at the jetties, (maybe 25 ft of water) that I couldn't even turn. 180# line, Penn setup, and couldn't even slow it down. Pulled 400 yards of line off then went out to sea. Never changed speed or tried to shake the hook.

Lost a 12 plus pound largemouth last year due to a dry rotted net. Completely boiled my blood.

Worst feeling is when you set a hook, the immediate realization hits of "I do not have the gear to tangle with whatever just hit" like fishing for pan fish with ultra light tackle and a huge bass grabbing the beetle spin.

• fred_d
    9 years ago

That fish is caller Sheephead in Galveston.The fins are different from the black drum,and they taste different..They are good tasting fish.The black,red,and white drum fish are eaiser to catch.

Sponsored