Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Hot Peppper variety that needs less light.

thebutcher
10 years ago

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of the best variety that withstand less light. (Maybe 4-5 hours). My Aunt wants to grow something... (an edible vegetable) off her 2nd story balcony. She is handicap with MS and all but loves plants and especially Hot Peppers and she just saw mine that are growing under my indoor lights and the ones hardening off.

My Varieties that are ready are listed below, along with the environment condition.

-She faces East to slight South-east in Zone 7a (I think it is and she lives 5 miles west to Trenton, NJ and about 25 miles from Downtown Philadelphia).

-She is on the 2nd floor with about a 5x10 foot deck with another deck above her so the plant will not get direct sun after it passes over her apartment probably around 1-2pm.

-She is able enough to water them but uses a walker.

The varieties of Peppers that I have almost ready to harden off and are more in abundance are:

- Large Red Cherry Pepper
- Hungarian Hot Wax
- Beaver Dam
- Long slim red cayene
- Yellow Pequin

The smaller the container size without risking issues would be the best. I will probably throw in there the 5-1-1 mix as well unless if something required less watering. But I also visit her every few days.

Thanks all and i know I got to add more information and if anyone knows of another variety that can hold a small contianer up to 5 Gallons with the direct light that would be great.

- Mr Beno

Comments (7)

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

If you like C Pubescens,Ecuador red is small for a Pubescens and grows easily in a 5 gal. pot.

Egg shaped pods about 2 1/2 in. X 1 1/2in.
    Mine was very prolific.
    I know people who have them as house plants in front of a sliding glass door.

I have seeds if you want to trade or?

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of ecuador red

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Frankly, the way I read your description she could grow anything. She gets what, 6 hours of sun on the balcony? More than enough. My older plants get dawn light and are shaded out about 1-2pm. Much podage has already ensued.

Dennis (or some other guy)

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both of you, very helpful. I think I will plant one of the one's to occupy her and incase if it does not work out, I will also try that Ecuador so she can look forward to something that can grow in her sliding glass door if that is ok with the trade.

Do you want me to email you Smoke?

Many thanks again both of you, and both as well as the rest of GW has helped me out many times.

- Mr Beno

This post was edited by thebutcher on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 18:09

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Capsicum pubescens/"rocoto" peppers are great for limited light pepper production.

They do take a long time time to mature, though.

Very tasty peppers...thick-ish flesh.

If you can't give your peppers full to near-full sun they're pretty much the best option going.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Yup,E mail away...

The Ecuador Red is probably the fastest ripening of the C.Pubescens that I've ever grown.
    I grow a LOT of Manzanos.
    I also have 2 1/2 Lbs. of unsorted Manzano seeds from last winter...They need a couple thousand new homes.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 20:21

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

I'm further south but my peppers are under a large white oak and only get about 2 to 2 and a quarter hours of late morning sun after the sun rises over the house. My plants are healthy but leggy and not as bushy and prolific as the ones I see in photos on this forum, but they produce more peppers than the 2 of us need.

The only pepper I've grown from your list is cayenne. One year they were prolific in a 1 gallon pot and one year they weren't. The difference was probably soil or water. Good luck to your aunt.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks,

I will use all this advice. As far as the Cayenne's I have plenty that are ready and put it in 1-3 gallon container. The point of this is that she wants something to take care of and she love's vegetables (Hot peppers mainly) I will also try possibly the Hotwax in a similar container. Rocoto seems nice as well and will try to get my hands on them. For Smoke M, I will put one inside the house with the sliding door.

Thanks again all and I will update the progress,

- Mr Beno

Sponsored