Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hieron

How best to pick both green and red jalapenos?

Hieron
10 years ago

Hello All,

I always plant several jalapeno plants to pickle for salsa/guac/etc., but this year I want to also let some fully ripen for smoking (chipotle!). What's the best way to divvy this up? Should I have designated green and red plants, or leave some peppers to go red on every plant while picking others green? Thanks for any thoughts! Have a good one.

Mike

Comments (4)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I would suggest taking green and red from all plants. If you only pull red from one plant, it may slow production on that plant. Plants spend a lot of energy ripening pods. Also you can have different levels of heat/flavor from different plants. If you take from all plants, you get the best it has to offer. That's just my 2 cents. I'm in no way an expert, so you might want to wait till a few professionals weigh in. Good Luck!

Tim

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'm no expert either, but if you have several plants, I would pick a few green ones from that very first flush of pods and leave the rest on the plant. This way, you tell the plant to start producing more by picking some green ones and... since it takes soooo damn long for Jalapenos to ripen red, you'll have a few off each plant to harvest at the end of the season. Kinda like what Tim just said.

:)

JMO

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I agree. I would simply let the plants go until there were enough red ones spread out among all the plants and then pick all the red ones and as many green ones as you need all at once. I would not designate plants as red and green and then be forced to wait for them individually.
    Bruce

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I'd go for tasting some green pods from all plants.
    Taste them and see what ones taste best off what plant/plants.
    Then pick red ones from each plant.
    The ones that taste best between green and red will let you know what plant is best for red or green pods.

If all are similar in taste-red or green,then just let X amount go red and let the others be green when picked.

IF they all taste similar then go for red with the plants that ripen faster than the others.

Kind of an elimination test to see what ripens first to red and what tastes best green AND then you get into production.
    Do you want more reds(since you are smoking them)...will you use more Chipotle than pickled green peppers.
    Depends on your use in general.
    For me I use more chipotle than pickled peppers.
    I pickle stuff with other veggies etc though-Onion,Garlic,Mushrooms,Carrots,eggs,sausage chunks,mini weenies and whatever.
    Be careful with Mushrooms,THEY SUCK up all the heat more than other stuff does.
    I like them but others think they are fire bombs.
    Fresh mushrooms are more obsorbant than canned ones.
    Either way,ESPECIALLY with mushrooms,use proper temps. while canning stuff.Mushrooms are a Fungus...

I do 1 Gal jars,nothing smaller.
    I add everything but the kitchen sink to my jugs. LOL

Sponsored