Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peps22

Is anyone else in Northeast having a lousy June for peppers?

peps22
10 years ago

My peppers are so far behind past years in terms of size. In Boston it's been raining every other day for a month. We had one heatwave for 3 days and thats the only real good pepper growing weather we've had.

Now.... Aphids. I feel if its not one thing, its something else.

Not a good year for me. Anyone else?

Comments (14)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Hang in there peps22. We were in the same boat a couple weeks ago. I'm in NC and the weather has finally warmed up. We had that same system that dumped rain for about a week straight. It's cleared now and we've had a week of good weather. You'll be amazed how fast they'll catch up after it warms up! Good Luck!

Tim

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks pepnovice. I do know they're resilient - a few years ago aphids decimated my plants and I thought all was lost in June.. and then a hot July turned everything around real quick. The difference is this year is the plants just dont look as robust as years past.

Patience I guess!

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I just looked back at pictures and things do seem to be a little behind. Last year's plants were much taller, but, seemed too leggy. Two years ago, things were definitely further along.

Some of mine are looking a bit sad, one was attacked by something, but, they're hanging in there! No fruit yet, but, a couple have blooms and more on the way.

• cheezdoodle12
    10 years ago

Yep.. add me to the NE lousy weather list.. I'm in NY and my peppers have been at a stand-still. I grow in containers.

I have two Alma Paprikas, one Cayenne, one Jalapeno and two Czech Black. Out of those though, only one Czech Black is blooming like crazy.. the other one lost almost all of the leaves but it has one big fat pepper.. so I keep it. One of my Alma Paprika plants also lost leaves but the new leaves are small.. My Jalapeno & Cayenne were both overwintered from last year.. both have small leaves. ...and I think it's supposed to rain again tomorrow :(

• don555
    10 years ago

I'm not in the NE, but here in central Alberta, Canada, the weather is giving me serious issues too. We had a couple hot 90F days in mid-May, while my peps were hardening. I planted them in pots on May 19, since then it's been showery, windy, and mostly cool Today was windy with frequent showers and 64F (18C). Warm days reach low 70s F (low 20s C). Coolest days have seen highs of only 10C (50F).

My peps are basically just sitting there. The buds that were on them when I transplanted are flowering, and peppers are setting, but the plants themselves aren't getting bigger or putting out any new vegetative growth, despite heavy fertilization on my part.

I know it's still early, but I am now thinking those pots could be put to better use next year. My cherry tomatoes in pots aren't exactly on fire either, but at least they have grown significantly since I planted them in pots, and are not only setting tomatoes but are also much taller than when I moved them outside.

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of my store-bought jalapeno plants foliage is light green from all the rain. It's the only one of my plants even close to setting fruit, but even it doesn't look 100%.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Yea, i'd say a good portion of North America is 2 or 3 weeks behind this year, but at least plants seem to react better to excess rainwater than hosewater.

I'm glad i built a makeshift tent to cover my main plot this year. I only allowed a couple of hours of rain before i'd cover them for the rest of the day and evening. I probably won't be covering them anymore though...

I'm still betting that there will be a late summer + early autumn harvest bonanza. And if i'm right, then everyone better get their pickling jars and dehydrators ready, cause you'll never eat it all in time ;)

• weirdflowers
    10 years ago

NE Ohio. It feels like if it's not raining, it's just plain cloudy. It's my first time growing peppers from seed, but they do seem pretty small and slow. All of my other plants (deciduous aroids) are a few weeks behind this year. If only I had a greenhouse...

• MadCat1118
    10 years ago

Not great for my peppers but my Father-in-laws hots are looking better than mine. Luck I guess. But the weather has been great for my fig, it has been growing like a weed!

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Upstate South Carolina - all the rain has given my peppers some sort of fungus. Leaves spotted, yellowing, falling off. There is new growth and I will spray a fungicide when I can be sure there will be no rain but I am seriously toying with pulling all 15 and starting over...

• michelliot
    10 years ago

yup.
    Yellowing from the bottom up then developing small brown spots before falling off at which point i promptly discard. Maybe there's a half dozen leaves left on each plant including new growth. I'm sure less when I return home this evening. I'm going to dust with fungicide and hope that this weather will sustain a lengthy period of dry days or all of the plants will fail for sure.

Good luck all...................elliot

Checking the forecast, looks like a week of partly cloudy. I'll take it gladly!

This post was edited by michelliot on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 10:26

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update - The past 10 days of heat and humidity have literally doubled/tripled the size of my plants. Back on track!

• mswiggi
    10 years ago

That white stuff.... that's hail. Most of my hot peppers were destroyed. Hopefully better luck next year!

• ab2008
    10 years ago

Wow that's crazy mswiggy.... Think any of your plants will pull through that much?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths