Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flame747

1st time growing hot peppers

FLAME747
9 years ago

Hi All,

I started a few Ghost, Habanero, & Green Chilli, seeds back on 01-16-14, initially in 5oz cups, grown under a florescent shop light for 3 months in my garage, for this period the plants did not grow much, however over the last 3 months they have taken off, since they have been repotted in larger containers.

They are almost 6 months old, about 12" tall, and have all started to set fruit, take a look at the pics and let me know what up think.

I plan on moving these to 5 Gal containers later on this months.

Thanks,

FCA

This post was edited by flame747 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 18:15

Comments (15)

• FLAME747
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic of pepper pods

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Nice looking plants and buds :-)

Keep us updated!

Stoney

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Looking good! You are well on your way to an incurable addiction. Welcome to the family.

Tim

• pepper_rancher
    9 years ago

they look great, and i agree (from what i can tell from the picture) they are ready to be transplanted into larger containers.

Nice work so far!

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Congrats, they do look great.

But they also need to be transplanted asap, not a few weeks from now ;-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I agree with sjetski. It is a little hard to tell from those photos but it looks like those plants are still in seedling trays. They should be in at least 4" pots by now. And if you are in Z10, then your climate should enable you to transplant them to 5 gallon buckets now which I would do. They are good looking plants though.
    Bruce

• MEG_MN
    9 years ago

I am also a 1st timer...

Do Carolina Reapers grow better in the ground or in containers?

Any/all suggestions or tips welcome!!!

• FLAME747
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All, thanks for all of the feedback, sorry I was not able to reply sooner, but the demands of life, has been demanding.

I have not posted on this site for over the past 8 years :(, and have since moved from Miami, FL, and relocated to Katy, TX. so that would be zone 8

esox07 - Good catch, yes they are currently in 4" growing trays.

Earlier today I was only able to repot 2 of my Ghost peppers, hopefully I will get to the rest, later on this week.

Meg_MN - Welcome, the quality of your soil will determine how well your plant will grow.

This post was edited by flame747 on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 13:23

• FLAME747
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update - Since repotting my Ghost Pepper in 5 Gal HD buckets, I,ve seen tremendous growth, and now that the temps is a bit cooler in Houston, I am finally getting some nice looking peppers on all 4 of my plants, here are a few pics taken earlier today.

Can someone please advise whats the lowest nighttime temp these GP can survive

Thanks,

FCA

• FLAME747
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of a few of the pods - Looks like one is ready

• FLAME747
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and lets not forget the hab's that I also started from seed back on Jan of this year.

Huge pods, don't find this size an any of the local markets

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Well, it looks like you have pepper growing down to a science now. Nice job.
    You plants will likely survive any thing above freezing but if you want them to keep producing, you should never let them go below 40 and preferably 50 degrees. If they get down into the 40's they will slow down in growth. If they start seeing temps in the thirties, they will probably shut down altogether and go into a semi dormant state, lose foliage and peppers and if they get into the lower 30's you could kill or permanently damage portions of the plants. Since you have them in buckets, you should be able to get them into a garage at night if your temps dip too far.. But in zone 10, I expect that will be pretty uncommon.

Bruce

• FLAME747
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got a nice batch of GP turning red

• FLAME747
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I assume since this is still a young plant, next year I should get bigger pods

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Very nice looking pods there. Those habs are nice and big.

Which variety?

Did you join the swap so you can try out some new chilis for next year.

Ronny

Sponsored