Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darylltx

Ghost peppers not producing

Darylltx
11 years ago

When ever I take off 10 jalepenos, 20 more come in its place. My Cayennes grow from the additional branching of the plant. I cut 4 cayennes off last week from one plant, and the plant grew 6 inches and branched in about 6 places; there are six new cayennes at those branches. The question is where are my Ghost peppers. Ive seen many flowers and no peppers. The plant is green and healthy, and has only produced 2 peppers, the original buds when the plant was 8 inches tall. Its 2 feet tall now. Its 95 degrees here in Texas with about 63% humidity, and all my plants are in the ground. Aren't the Bhut's from India? What is their ideal temperature requirements?

Daryll

Comments (24)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Too hot for fruit set. I find the Bhuts like to set fruit about 80-85 degrees and about 65-70 at night. Last season first spring fruits set about 5 then flower drop June-July then Aug-Nov nice harvest of Bhuts.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

habajolokia x 2. If they are in containers, get them some shade. When conditions improve, they will start setting fruit so fast you won't know what hit you.
    Bruce

• scotty66
    11 years ago

well that is disheartening news! Bhuts like to set fruit about 80-85 degrees???

I'm in central TX and we won't be seeing that kind of weather till october!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

You may be able to assist with some type of shade cloth to cool down the area the plants are growing in. Maybe create a device that you can put up shade on the hottest part of the day and when it cools remove it. Or just wait it out October? That's a long wait.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

scotty66: if they are in containers, move them to where they will get some shade, if not, shade cloth is the way to go.
    Don't complain too much, in October, my plants will be looking at the 30's.
    Bruce

• Darylltx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

scottie im in central texas too and my plants are in the ground. I may look into that shade cloth or just wait till oct

• steven1032
    11 years ago

i planted ghost peppers next to my bell peppers and habaneros across from them. they are producing here in central texas like crazy. the flowers on the bottom of the plant are producing the most, hence they are being shaded by the bells. we had a couple of days were the temps were in the low to high 80s. just two days and they took off. even if it is getting hot, the bell peppers are shading the flowers at the bottom of the plant cooling them down.
    i had some ghost peppers in pots and put them in between my bell peppers and now it is producing. looks like it may be cross pollinating with the bell peppers. that is okay because i am not going to save the seeds.
    i tried putting ghost peppers under shade during afternoon on the patio, flowers still fell. there is one ghost pepper by itself it is dropping blooms also. the ones next to the bell peppers are doing great.
    wish i could get my chocolate habanero to produce like the bhuts.

• Peppertime
    11 years ago

Wish I would have known that about my bhuts last year. Didn't get but a couple pods and not till real late in the season.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

steven, if you are in pots, be sure that the *pots* are shaded. Pots can get hot in a hurry and nobody likes hot roots.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

"dmforcier" the ghost peppers i have in pots are under a shade cloth that i built over my pepper patch.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Definitely temperature. In my area, I get best fruit set in May/June, and August. July is just too hot. I try to time my plants to get good flowering in the cooler months.

I may try shading the plants in July as others have suggested this year to see if I get more fruit set in July.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I am looking at 90's here the next two days. I hope it doesn't cause my peppers to stall out. THey just entered a nice blooming/fruit setting phase. After the next couple days, things should get back to a more normal pattern.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, my bhuts were doing nothing for ages due to the 95+ heat we had earlier in the year. Lots of blossom drop. Then we had about 2 weeks of rain move through, and now I've got dozens of pods growing on it.

Try putting up a shade cloth (couple layers of screen door mesh work great and are a heck of a lot cheaper than "real" shade cloth), but beyond that, nothing you can really do but cross your fingers for a cold front.

• lao
    11 years ago

wish i had those kind of temperatures here in Manchester U.K. I am growing Naga Morich, seeds came from Bangladesh. Some of you may call it Bhut Jolokia, but this is the name that Bangladeshis call it. My plants have not grown very tall, but are going into bud now, so i will see if i get a decent crop. I have 7 Naga Morich,after selling 28 plants, also have 3 Trinidad Scorpion Ix Scotch bonnet, about 30 mauritiun chillis (like small bullets!) some Chiltepins and coffe bean chillis, some thais and indian long varieties.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Lao, welcome!

Probably easier to deal with too hot than too cold when it comes to peppers, for sure!

Last year, I grew the Naga Morich, the Naga Dorset, the Bhut and the Bih Jolokia,
    and all four strains were slightly different from eachother. I wonder which pod-types
    you'll see on your Naga Morich - here's a pic of last year's Morich harvest.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

I don't know if this will be much help, but Jim Duffy (Refining Fire Chiles) says when they start setting flowers start feeding with a Bloom Booster, that it especially works well with the Bhuts. I've moved mine into the sunroom. With the temps in the triple digits or close to, for the last 4wks it's killing my peppers, I've moved all my super hots and habs inside. They seem MUCH happier.

• wynative
    11 years ago

I 'miracle grow' all my potted veggies once a week - do I need to give the ghost's more?

• capoman
    11 years ago

Miracle Grow 24-8-16 will work from start to finish, I've done it. I now switch to a lower nitrogen fertilizer once I figure the plants have grown enough and want them to concentrate on ripening fruit. I haven't really done a formal comparison of the difference it makes. It's not drastic or I would have noticed.

• wynative
    11 years ago

Thank you Capoman : )

• Elscorcho
    10 years ago

Hi, it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm in Melbourne, Australia and our summer can swing from 20-40 deg C (68-104 deg F). I had plenty of Habaneros, Jalapenos and others last year, but the Bhuts didn't produce at all. I'll follow the tips and hope I do better with the same plants that survived the winter. Thanks everyone!

• Elscorcho
    10 years ago

Hi, it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm in Melbourne, Australia and our summer can swing from 20-40 deg C (68-104 deg F). I had plenty of Habaneros, Jalapenos and others last year, but the Bhuts didn't produce at all. I'll follow the tips and hope I do better with the same plants that survived the winter. Thanks everyone!

• wynative
    10 years ago

Elscorcho - I moved mine to the shade of my garden/tool shed and had way more than I could use & I only had 2 plants : )
    Good luck!

• bobanderson6
    6 years ago

Hello I need tips for how to grow ghost peppers. I have seeds but don't know how to grow them. Umm, help?

Sponsored