Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little late to the party� Ottawapeppers 2014 Grow

Posted by ottawapepper 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 18:35

Hi folks,

Yes, I know I'm late. the season is almost half over. My bad.

For those interested, here's a bit of a long winded description of my season so far.

My objective for 2014 was to:

- grow out some seeds in my inventory I haven't tried yet, some 5, 6 even 7 years old;
- grow out seeds for varieties I'm really low on to replenish my stock, and;
- grow some of my standards I use on a regular basis through out the year.

I ended up optimistically starting 44 varieties for myself but in the end had to cull them back to 31 varieties for space reasons.

As usual this season I started my long season super hots in January and my regular season ones too soon in mid to late February. Unlike previous seasons, I've had a few mostly self inflicted bone head stumbles this year.

I started off seeding 144 (2 x 72 cell trays) cells in dry mix with the intent of dropping the trays off with friends to start while I was out of town for a few weeks. The day before I was going to drop them off the heat pump went in their greenhouse grow area (they're farmers). I decided to dome the trays and keep them in my coolish basement and start them when I returned. I got home after 15 days to a bunch of extremely leggy half dead starts. I guess there was enough humidity to get a few growing. I salvaged most by sinking them deep in 3 inch pots, they are tougher than you think.

From there I managed, with a little help from my well intentioned GF, to screw up my watering regime. Yep, after many years growing I did the noob thing and overwatered. Yes I forgot the pepper growers version of the carpenters "measure twice and cut once" rule. I didn't check to see if they needed water, I just watered. Oh, the shame!

While getting the watering sorted out, knowing better, I decided to use up some old fertilizer for my first few feeds on some of the starts. Big mistake. I'm pretty sure concentrated salts in the old ferts caused a few plants to go into nutrient lock out. I'm still struggling with a few, mostly chinense, not taking up nutrients properly. I have a question on this later.

Fast forward to today, we've had a cool and wet start to the growing season up here. I didn't get my plants hardened off and potted up into 5 gallon pots until late May. Since then we've had our fair share of cool and wet days.

We had to do some work around our patio and walkways in the backyard so I took the opportunity to pull all my potted plants into one area for a family shot. They look like drowned rats due to two days of torrential downpours before I took the shot.

I'll start posting updates and more detailed pictures as the season progresses.

Now a question for you fish emulsion experts. My chinenses seem starved for Nitrogen more than anything else. I'm really hesitant to hit them with more salt based nutes. I found 5-1-1 Fish Emulsion Fertilizer at a local garden center. My question is; can I double or even triple the dose without causing problems. I figure since salts are non existent it shouldn't burn the root and the plants can take as much as the need.

Yes? No?

TIA,

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little late to the party� Ottawapeppers 2014 Grow

They look pretty darn good for all that, Bill!
I was expecting a lot worse from the initial description! Now, about that Fish Emulsion....I've never used it at high strength. I would personally cut the dose to 1/2 strength and fertilize twice as often.

Josh

o

Hi Bill,

Plants are looking good even with the issues they faced. The way I see it you are not late to the party, always on time! I used the fish fert and never measured just poured into my watering container as I saw fit and mix the water and poured. On the bottle it states will not burn and my plants never suffered from my generous estimates. But giving a higher concentration you may be waisting your money as it will most likely not all be used and since in pots could be washing out that extra dose on the next time you water. So stick with Josh's suggestion 1/2 more often feedings.

o

I'm with Josh Bill. I use Fish Emulsion every 15 days or so and at half strength. I used a full strength dose once and it seemed to cause some fert burn on my leaves.

BTW, your plants are looking good! Keep us posted :p

Stoney

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 19:14

Ottawa:
Glad to see your early problems are resolving themselves. Looks like some nice plants right now. I just started using the fish emulsion this year. I don't recommend it for your plants while they are in the house. Even outside it makes you think you live on the banks of a river. I have been adding it to a 5 gallon pail of water at the prescribed rate and first watering my plants with tap (well) water until the soil is thoroughly wet, then I dump about a gallon of the fish emulsion mixture in on top of each container. Seems to be working good except that we are getting so much rain that I have only added the fish emulsion twice so far this summer. I think my plants could use another shot but we have gotten over 4" of rain in the last two days with more predicted over the next 5 days.
As far as giving them a heavy or double dose, I guess I would consider that if I really thought my plants needed it. I have read that it is hard to over fertilize with the fish emulsion to the point that you would harm your plants.
Bruce

o

Fish Emulsion takes about a week to become available to the plants, which is why I like to fertilize once a week (to keep the nutrients available). The directions say to apply every 2 weeks....so I cut the dose and apply once a week. The half-strength dose also cuts down on the odor. Pre-water, fertilize, then a light post-watering to drive it into the mix/soil.

Josh

o

Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:12

Hmmm, that is about how I do it Josh, except I don't do the post watering. Sounds like a good idea though. I really would like to give my plants another shot of fish emulsion but we keep getting rain night after night. We have had 4.5" in the last three days with more on the way today and good chances each of the next five days. I haven't fertilized in about three weeks. They really need to dry out a bit at this point but as long as it is going to keep raining, maybe I will just go ahead and dump some fish emulsion mix into the plants and let the rain do the pre and post watering. They can't get much more saturated right now anyway. Then, when the rain stops and they start to dry out, maybe the fish emulsion will be ready for the plants to use. What do you think???
Bruce

o

If the rain won't stop, fertilize anyway. Sounds like a good idea, Bruce. The rain will be flushing nutrients, so they need to be replaced.

Josh

o

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll heed to the collective wisdom and go with half strength twice as often. So that's N-P-K of 2.5 - 0.5 - 0.5 right?

Overall I'm getting good bud and flower formation, although a little earlier than I like, so I guess they're doing OK. Just low on Nitrogen.

Here's a shot of a Reaper that looks a little more green than in real life. It's not the deep green I'm used to getting from my plants.

Here's a shot of a TS Butch T that just hasn't hasn't responded to anything. Since I'm probably going to loose it, I'm going to double dose it to see the effects.

Here's a shot of a Piri Piri, Naga Jolokia PC1 and Guajillo that are doing just fine nute wise. Yep I know, they're pretty close together. Due to the number of pots and limited space I'll be doing a lot of bagging this year to collect true seed.

To finish on a high note, I caught the the SOB that was going to wreak havoc on my non-pepper veg garden. Got him in a human trap (GF's insistence) and relocated him to a nice lush field a few miles away. Amazing how lush fields grow at military rifle ranges ;-))

Bill

o

They sell human traps that small? What are they for, naughty toddlers?

o

Wow, for a rough start your plants look really good. Heck, I have had a great season and I don't think mine look as good as yours.
You know there are very few things in this world I hate more than looking stupid, but WTF is that? I can't figure it out, is it a groundhog, marmot, prairie dog?
Pam

o

Its an ROUS.

o

hahaha, I had never heard of that before... but yeah, that's obvious. We ought to be able to narrow it down from that. ;-)
Pam

o

LOL Ohiofem. Damd splle ckher!

Pam, that's there was a really pissed off groundhog (aka woodchuck). A small one actually.

o

Looks more like a beaver.

I only wish my plants were so big they would interest a beaver...

o

Nice plants Bill! Glad to finally see some pics from one of my favorite posters! They look great except for the minor paleness.

I'd do as Josh suggested also. I do tend to save my fish ferts for the ground though, but will give my potted ones a dose or 3 throughout.

Why not FP or MG?? The synthetics will work faster. A full dose of either with a bit of epsoms will green them up in no time, IMO.

Look forward to more pics later.

Kevin

o

Good catch, Bill!
Reminds me of the Summer when I warred with the Raccoon people...trapped 8 of them, two in one day on one occasion. I also caught 2 skunks....and caught one of my cats, twice.

I do favor a synthetic fertilizer, but I assumed you wanted to keep it organic (with the Fish Emulsion). If you're willing to go the chemical route, the results will be much sooner realized. Either way, I think weekly doses will get those plants going.

For the pale plant in particular, I would recommend an Epsom Salt watering. 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon mixed in a gallon of water, and then thoroughly saturate the container. The cool thing about Magnesium deficiency is that the issue can be corrected visibly within a week (3 - 5 days).

Josh

o

ah, ok, groundhog, we don't have them around here, I know what skunks, possums, moles, raccoons, and armadillos look like, but haven't seen many groundhogs.

hahaha Josh, I bet your cat was happy with you. Wow, how did you deal with a trapped skunk? We had to throw away a couch a few years ago when one of our Kuvs came running in from outdoors and immediately jumped on the dog couch and started rubbing his face all over it. By the time we realized what was going on it was too late for the couch. ;-) Up close and personal those things STINK!

Pam

o

DMForcier, Beavers are a lot cuter ;-)

Thanks for the kind words Kevin.

Josh and Kevin, I had been using synthetic ferts in varying strengths until I recently became concerned about salt build up. I'm using Pro-Mix as my grow medium so it doesn't drain / dry as fast as say a 5-1-1 mix. I'm was thinking all the feeding, flushing and drying out was probably compounding any possible nutrient lock out problem.

In hindsight, if I had only taken my own advice on most plant problems... don't over care for them and they'll usualy take care of themselves , both the plants and I would be happier now ;-)) I'm going to start backing off on trying to make things 100%. I don't want any cure to kill the patients!

Oh well, live and learn and re-learn. On with 2014.

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 16:24

o

I wouldn't worry about salt build up with all that rain/water. Besides, organic ferts have salts too. I agree with the latest advice to yourself --- you know what you're doing!

Kevin

o

...on trapping a skunk.

You approach the cage with a large plastic sheet held out in front of you, which you then lay over the cage. Then, carefully, you open the door and walk away :-) The second skunk that I trapped was fast asleep in the cage, and actually stayed there all day, even though I opened the door. He left around four in the afternoon.

My cat was a good sport about it :-)

Josh

o

Kevin my friend, where were you months ago when I needed a slap to bring me to my senses ;-)

I'm just going with half strength watering for the next few weeks and let them do their thing.

Bill

o

Kevin my friend, where were you months ago when I needed a slap to bring me to my senses ;-)

I'm just going with half strength watering for the next few weeks and let them do their thing.

Bill

o

Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 17:44

Bill: I agree with woohooman. We as pepper growers tend to overthink and overdue just about every aspect in our pepper growing. I find that less ferts, less watering, less of human intervention is best. Sure, we have to keep them watered, but even a lot of veterans can't stand to see a plant leaf wilt a little bit. And every time we see a yellow spot on a leaf, we want to throw fertilizers or epsom salts or lime or some thing on them. Every time we see some U/I bug on a pepper leaf, we run for the 12 gauge shotgun, at least I tend to do that. Less is best.
Bruce

o

Bill and Bruce, considering the entire Butch T plant in the pic is pale yellow, I think the Epsom Salt is a must. Very little work with potentially fast return. At the least, it will help rule out Magnesium deficiency.

Josh

o

For those contemplating war with the raccoon people, I recommend the film Pom Poko from Studio Ghibli.

Hint: There may be side effects...

o

Hey Josh, thanks for the tip (on skunks) that's a good idea, I hadn't thought about that.
Pa

o

Pam, a caveat....
....the plastic sheet isn't 100 percent!
You'd be amazed at how much that skunk spray "splashes" off a plastic sheet, hehehe ;-)

Josh

o

Off to the rifle range again...

This is a small one. Got it in a squirrel trap, not the full sized one. I saw what is probably the mother this morning. I'm going to need a bigger cage, she was huge. I think I'd rather be dealing with Josh's Raccoon and Skunk friends!

o

Ha! I'd rather deal with Raccoons that Groundhogs, too! At least the Raccoons don't actually eat the plants...they just dig around the roots or bump them over.

Josh

o

What the H is that?

Stoney

o

Stoney,
that's a Groundhog, aka Woodchuck, aka Marmot, aka the largest member of the Squirrel family :-)

Josh

o

My wife really likes him. She didn't like the rifle range part..lol!

If that thing ate my peppers down to the soil, I'd be pretty p'd!

We don't get them out here but we have squirrels, skunk, racoon, opossum, and rabbits similar in size.

Stoney

o

Double post.

This post was edited by stoneys_fatali on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 16:07

o

Stoney,

They don't really bother with peppers or tomatoes. They do however wipe out just about any other plants in our veg garden.

Tell you wife they are humanely trapped if that makes her feel better ;-)

Bill

o

Ha!

She knows that ;-)

Yeah, my onions and tomatoes would be toast. My artichoke is spiny..wonder if he'd eat that?

Stoney

o

Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 17:52

I don't know how they deal with pepper plants, but I would not want to tangle with one. THey can get real nasty.
What are you baiting the live traps with to catch them???
Bruce

o
RE: A little late to the party... Ottawapeppers 2014 Grow

Bruce, I'm just using plain old lettuce. I am however guiding them from their entry point into the trap by blocking off the sides.

I don't think I posted my final 2014 grow list anywhere. Here it is, 32 varieties. I'm growing two Reapers, seeds from different sources.

Have any of you ever grown a variety you really liked but for some unexplainable reason neglected to grow it again for years?

I'm making up for my omission by growing both the Cosa Arrugada de Viejo and Onza Roja. Both are low on the heat scale, 500 and 40,000 SHU respectively, but their flavour is great.

The Cosa Arrugada was the first plant to put out pods this year. Too soon I think. The plant should be twice the size plus before it puts out pods.

There is absolutely no info out there on the Cosa Arrugada. Maybe it's mis-named or maybe it just hasn't caught the attention of growers. The name as far as I can determine means Spanish adj. wrinkled, lined; wizened. The pods fit the description. The last time I grew it I didn't take pictures. Click the link below to see my seed source's picture of the ripe pod.

Anyhow, I'm taking my own pictures this year. Here's the plant today, half its normal size:

Here's a pod shot. It still has and inch and a half to go before it's normal size. It's 1.25 inches now.

It's putting out buds really well so if the pods grow full size I should have a good harvest.

Since the plant was the first one to put out developed pods (before any of the others flowered) I figure it's safe to save seeds from the initial ripe ones. Just in case I bagged a branch to be sure.

I'll post a few shots of my Onza Roja in the next day or so.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: John Fiedler's PBase Cosa Arrugada photo

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 5:05

o

Bill, Remember awhile back I was searching on it and asked you, you said then it might be a mis-spelling. I don't remember how but somehow I got another spelling and actually found information on it. BUT, and it's a BIG BUT, I don't remember anymore than that, including the dang spelling. I'd love to find out more on it, you sent me my original seeds, just wish I could remember more than the mere basics.
Pam

Dang it Bill! I decided to go looking to see if I could jog my memory, when my search pulled up this link:
http://elatelierdelapiel.blogspot.com/search/label/Arrugas
Now I'm going to have to find a hot poker and poke my eyes out!

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 16:09

o

Pam,

Find an extra poker and heat it up for me ;-))

Thanks for sharing???

o

hahaha, I busted out laughing when I read your response and hear from above, "what cha laughing at?" He thought it was funny too, I showed him the photo. GOD, that image is burned in my brain, I'll never get it out. Actually, it's your fault Bill, cos you were having troubles I went out searching to try to help. Just shows, no good dead goes unpunished.
Pam

o

Bill's Calendar for June 24, 2014

8:45 - 10:00 Traumatic Eye injury Specialist

10:15 - 12:00 Memory erasing specialist.

12:01 - 12:15 Butch T Cornbread Muffin & coffee

12:16 - 12:50 Mickey of Tequila with Lime and Salt

1:00 - 1:30 Watering plants

1:31 - ? Sucking thumb in a fetal position.

Pam, THANKS for the Memories.

LMAO,

Bill

o

Bill.....Plants look great as always. On the fertilizer issue, I alternate between synthetic and natural. Fish emulsion one time, MG the next. It works pretty good for me.

Do I even want to consider clicking on that link?

Tim

o

"Do I even want to consider clicking on that link?

Tim"

Only if you want to see what the original Coppertone girl would look like today... 100 years later. (cringe)

o

OH GOD Bill! You are killing me!

mecdave! Good one! Actually, she's probably 35. Dang, I will never get that image out of my head.

Pam

o

Of course I now have to Wiki it...

"It dates to 1944, when pharmacist Benjamin Green invented a lotion to darken tans. The company became famous in 1953 when it introduced the Coppertone girl, "

Ok, so she's only 61 plus what, about 3 or 4 y/o? See what tanning does to your skin? Adds 40 years and makes you look 100! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Coppertone girl

This post was edited by mecdave on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 10:24

o

Bill the pretty much absent member here.
Sorry, it's been a crazy summer and I haven't had time to post / contribute as often as I'd like.

I harvested my first real crop this past weekend (see poor quality picture below). I still have another 18 varieties starting to ripen now plus a load of these. I'm in the process of sampling and saving seeds from this batch. I'll post better shots of pods and observations in the coming days.

Clockwise starting from the 12:00 position:

Peruvian Serlano, Chervena Chujska, Santaka, Brain Strain - Yellow, Cosa Arrugadade, Pitanga Amarela, Numex Espanola, Seven Pot Douglah, Scotch Bonnet - Jamaican MOA, Carolina Reaper, Guajillo, Unknown

Center:

Red Ruffle

o

That is a nice -n- hot plate there, Bill.

Ready to make some sauce or what ?

o

I agree with Seysonn, a nice looking HOT plate.

Sandy

o

Just a quick post of my harvest today. Earwigs have launched a major counter offensive attack so some pods were picked before they were ripe / fully ripe.

Clockwise starting at 12:00: Piquillo, Naga Jolokia (PC-1), PI 181864 (aka Aleppo), Seven Pot Douglah, Santaka, Chervena Chujska, Jalapeno, Carolina Reaper, Brain Strain - Yellow, Cosa Arrugadade

Center: Guajillo

o

Hey Bill, what is Red Ruffle? Looks cool, never heard of it.
Pam

o

Hi Pam,

I don't have any info on its background except that it was classified as an heirloom variety. It has a similar but less tangy flavour profile as your standard red Bell. I'd even go out on a limb and say it has a more complex (don't ask me to elaborate) flavour than red Bells. It does have a little thicker flesh than Bells.

I'll be posting more shots of them shortly. I have lots of seeds drying now. Drop me a line if you'd like to try them.

Bill

o

That's a nice looking plate of peppers. You plan on eating all of those?

Tim

o

Great pics Bill! Always love the names of your varieties -- you definitely fly a less ventured path than most of us.

I'm curious about that bell-like one also. I'm currently searching for some type of sweet that delivers in the flavor of a red bell, but is more productive and ripens quicker. I'm tired of growing a half dozen bells in order to get the production I want and then they all come in at the same time, leaving me with TOO many to use in a short period.

Kevin

o

Late to the party maybe, but when you showed up, you showed up with a huge "bang"!

o

Thanks everyone.

Tim, as usual with my harvests, I'm going to eat some, freeze some, dry some, powder some and this year I'm going to try my hand at making hot sauce.

Kevin, I hear you regarding Bells. I never get enough harvest to justify the garden space. The Red Ruffles definitely produce better than any bells I've grown. This year the one plant, which is about a foot and a half shorter than the last one I grew, is on track to put out 20+ pods. They've been ripening over the past 2 1/2 weeks. Probably have another 1 - 2 weeks to go for the remainder. Drop me a note if you want some seed.

Don, LOL, thanks. I'm not sure about the bang. It hasn't been the best season here this year and I haven't been posting as often as I'd like.

At the risk of boring some and angering the "hot" pepper gods, here are some Red Ruffle shots.

And just for fun, here are a few stuffed ones ready for Hickory smoked baking on my BGE.

Bill

o

Getting back to peppers with heat, here are a couple of shots of some Pitanga Amarela pods. I've had the seeds for years but this year is the first time I've grown it out.

It's quite the producer, I'll probably get 250+ round 2 cm pods by end of season. Heat level is in the 50k SHU range. Compared to other small pod plants, it's not too seedy, great for munching on when you're harvesting your other pods ;-)

o

A few more pod shots for tonight.

I'm a big Mole fan. As such I've been accumulating seed for the "classic" Mole peppers. This year I grew out some Guajillo seeds I received last year. Love them! Mild heat with great deep rich earthy flavours... love the raisin undertones.

Strictly out of curiosity I grew out Carolina Reaper seeds from two trusted sources. Well, one basically sits and does nothing the other is putting out pods that don't match the "true" phenotype. Seems par for the course for these things. Heat and taste wise I don't see how they surpass Butch T's or Moruga. Regardless, they come anywhere close to the lethal Douglah.

Another variety that I've had seeds for for years and never grew out, this year I grew out some Aleppo (PI 181864). I now understand why they are popular. Great producers, nice warm heat and nice flavour profile. After drying and powdering my first few harvests I can see why chefs love them. I'll be growing it again.

A new one for me, the Brain Strain - Yellow. I had expectations that it would be a scorcher but despite the mean looking pod it clocked in around the high Habanero range. Flavour wise it's OK but not really remarkable. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not writing off Brain Strains. Maybe it was the seed I got, maybe it was the season. If I get my hands on some Red seeds I'll grow them out.

That's about it for tonight. The opinions expressed are those of the author, not the pepper gods ;-)

I'll try to post more updates tomorrow.

Bill

o

OK, time for one more set tonight.

I grew a NuMex Espanola this year to replenish old seed stock. It's a nice mild pepper with thin skin that I have used for seeding and slicing into salads, stir frys etc. Am I missing a more traditional use? If so, please chime in!

First time growing the Scotch Bonnet MOA. Nice Bonnet heat and nice looking pods but, I was disappointed it didn't produce pods with the classic Tam O' Shanter shape. Regardless, the earwigs loved it. The three pods you see are all I've harvested so far. Tossed 14 others.

This year is the first year I've grown the Peruvian Scarlet Lantern. I like it. Lower end of the Hab heat range with a nice flavour. Great producer as well. I'll grow it again.

Next, the spawn of Satan, the Seven Pot Douglah. First time I grew it and sliced a ripe pod open I knew I opened up a real can of pain, capsaicin was dripping down the inside walls. I really don't care care who has the current record, until I meet a pepper that hurt me like this one, Douglah's rule! I only use it powdered now to mix sparingly in my blends.

Again to refresh my seed stock, I'm growing the Tequila Sunrise this year. Normally the plan will hit four feet but this year it only managed a foot or so. It's one of those fooled you varieties, most pods are mild an tangy but now and then you get a 70k SHU surprise. Nice looking plan I think.

This concludes our broadcasting day. Good night.

Bill

o

More great pics, Bill.

My thoughts? 1st time for Guajillos? Aren't they awesome? One of my yearly workhorses. They look so much like Anaheims, but have the heat of Japs. And dried, there's not too many other chiles out there that are synonymous with good Mexican food!

The espanola -- never grown it, but when i think Anaheim/numex, I think rellenos, typical roasting and peeling green and adding to a multitude of dishes such as chili, nacho cheese, green chili burgers, taco meat. I even used to get tamales down in the barrio here where they used them inside the tamales. I was doing a remodel there(old drywall days) and this Mexican grandma used to send the kids out around dinner time and sell a half dozen for 5 bucks. I would tell the homeowner I was working late... just so i could be there around dinner time.

Now you got my curiosity going with the Aleppo. Do you see it being used much like Japs?

Time to send that email. ;)

Thanks.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 1:03

o

Wow, you even made those ruffled Bells look good ;-)

I agree about the Yellow Brains - I was expecting much more heat and flavor. It wasn't bad, though, but a bit more Hab tasting than I like. I love the shape, though.

I had my first Carolina Reaper yesterday and it was horrifying. Definitely the hottest I've had, but that bitter aftertaste was disgusting. Literally nauseating, and that bitterness just lasted and lasted.

Josh

o

Email sent, Bill.

Thanks.

Kevin

o

Thanks guys.

Kevin, the Aleppo is primarily used in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dishes. From what I've read, since the dried and coarsely ground flakes made their way to Europe and North America Chefs have used it in place of standard pepper flakes due to its enhanced flavour and oily consistency. It's said that it goes well with fish, poultry and beef. After tasting it for the first time this year, I can understand why.

One interesting current development regarding this pepper is that there is a global shortage of authentic Aleppo due to the conflict in Syria. See link below.

If you'd like some seed for the Ruffle and / or Aleppo (or anything else I've posted) let me know. Heck, if I'm willing to send Pam seeds after she posted that link earlier in this thread I'd be willing to send them to anyone :-)) [I kill me]

LOL Josh... "even made those ruffled Bells look good". Ya, I know, we don't need no stinking sweet peppers ;-) I've already commented on your Reaper experience in your grow log.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Geographic article

o

:-) Hehehe, yeah, them Bells....what was the stuffing, and how did they turn out?

Josh

o

Josh, no comment.

o

Chervena Chujska is a sweet red Bulgarian heirloom with a mild bell flavour. It averages 2x6 inch long. It can be eaten fresh but it's best roasted and skinned. Roasting seems to bring out more flavour.

Call me crazy, I'm usually called a lot worse by 9:00 each morning, but the Spanish Cosa Arrugadade is one of my favorite non hot peppers. I like the way it looks. Its name loosley translated means wrinkled. One Spanish person I met translated the name as wrinkled as in an old mans face.

It's a prolific plant that produces loads of 3 - 4 inch by 1/2 inch pods with a somewhat tough skin. Strictly from a subjective personal description, I find the flavour starts out with a tangy zing and ends with a candy lipstick aftertaste (in a good way). Call me weird to, I like it. I can't find any info on this variety on the web so I have no idea how it is traditionally eaten / prepared. I just like munching on the fresh pods and seeing how far I can spit the skin afterwards ;-))

Peruvian Serlano. I can't really say too much about this pepper I received in a trade. On a small plant it's putting out a decent amount of 20K - 30k SHU pods. Nothing to remarkable about the flavour, similar to a Thai I'd say. I'm drying them to use in soups this winter. I insist on my soup hot temperature wise and enjoy it more with some heat pepper wise ;-)

And now the infamous Naga Jolokia (PC-1). When news broke of the Assam Naga "Bhut Jolokia" being crowned as the newest world's hottest, crooked vendors started selling seeds from the Indian frutescens PC-1 as the record holder. Truth told, it only clocks in at 100k SHU. Aside from its tainted past, it's a decent pepper in its own right. When I sliced one open today the first thing that struck me was I had forgotten how fruity these things were. Great for adding hot flavour to any dish or for flaking, I'd recommend people try them at least once.

o

Alot of nice peppers there Ottawa.

Interesting article on the Aleppo. I do like the flavor of those. Growing more next year too.

o

Bill: did you get my email?

Who's Robin Suits? All I've gotten was an email from Robin Suits--- Automatic reply: A little late to the party Ottawapeppers 2014

Should I send again?

Kevin

o

Wow, I disappear for a few days only to come back and find you dissing me Bill. ;-) The photo was your fault, your post got me to searching and thus pulled up that nasty photo. Figured, you caused me to view it, you should have to view it too!

I'm growing Aleppo next year too, now I can't wait. Email in the mail soon.
Pam

o
RE: A little late to the party Ottawapeppers 2014 Grow

Kevin:
Sorry about that. I'm Robin Suits. I suspect you got an automatic reply from me because I've been on vacation and set that up at work. Stupid Microsoft Outlook shouldn't be sending that through GardenWeb. Weird that you would get that when I haven't posted in a long time. But I have been having a blast following this thread and especially Josh's adventures with the Reaper. You guys are either very brave or very crazy. BTW, I'd love to have a few Aleppo seeds, if they're available. Ohiofem@gmail.com won't send an automatic reply.

Robin

o

Bill - I was so delighted that 3 of the 7 old Sandia seeds you sent me germinated. They were doing great in the garden. Now they're gone - consumed by a deer-:( If anyone else has Sandia seed, please let me know and I'll try again next year.
John A

o

Robin: That is odd. Why would I get an auto-reply from you when I sent Bill an email? Are you, in some way, connected to GW's mail servers?

Kevin

o

RonnyB123, thanks. It's my first, but not the last time I'll grow the Aleppo.

Kevin, I got your email and you should have a reply now. GW's mail servers have been known to do strange things now and then. Robin is a forum member who hasn't posted recently.

Pam, nice attempt to lob the ball back in my court BUT everyone knows who posted that link! You have mail.

Robin (Ohiofem), great to see you're still following the forum. You have mail as well.

John A, wow, that's a bummer. I started one this year but didn't have any more room to grow it. I passed it along to a friend. I'll see if they managed to keep it alive amongst all their other pepper plants. If it's producing, I'll salvage some seeds for you. I won't be able to gauge the odds of a cross so if you can source seeds elsewhere go for it.

Bill

o

Bill, that Arrugadade (let's call it "rugged dad," eh? ;-) ) looks a lot like a ripe Pepperoncini, which is also a great mild pepper.

Josh

o

On to the next batch of varieties growing this season.

Santaka is an Asian type chile. It has a decent heat in the 70k +/- SHU range. I use it for powders and freeze it for use in stir frys. The plant typically produces 30 - 40 decent sized pods.

The Hungarian Sorok Sari is typically classified as a sweet paprika variety. I'm not really into sweet paprika so I grow it as a Bell pepper. In its unripe form, creamy white, I like to use it in salads with red, orange, green and yellow bells. A nice colour combination. It also ripens to a nice medium size red Bell. I picked this red one a little too early.

The Piquillo (little beak translated) is a Spanish pepper that from what I've read is somewhat of a staple in Tapas. Authentic “Pimiento de Piquillo de Lodosa” is grown in the surroundings of the town of Lodosa in Spain. Only Piquillo's grown in the area are deemed to be authentic. Like Chimayo, Hatch, etc.

Eaten raw (at the risk of offending any Spanish readers) it's pretty non-nondescript. Now, roasting it brings out it true sweet pepper flavour. Definitely worth a try if you enjoy roasted peppers. My current harvest is destined to be roasted, skinned and stuffed with a Queso Fresco / Chorizo / Black Olive mixture. Yum!

Sorry for the underexposed shots to follow. Snacking on too many hot peppers and drinking wine = poor photography ;-))

My NuMex Mirasol is starting to ripen up nicely. Aside from having a nice medium low heat that is more front of the mouth, the plants look ornamental when they ripen in clusters. I'll be drying some for moles this fall and freezing others for general use spicing up stir frys etc.

Tequila Sunrise. Besides looking nice, these buggers have a way of lulling you into thinking they all have a mild flavour and then hitting you with a random bazooka shell in the mouth. Flavour wise they're fairly unremarkable, Bell like but only mildly. I use them for adding crunch and colour to salads and stir frys.

Peach Bhut Jolokia. I've grown red Bhuts for years and in the past couple of years grown the Chocolate and Yellow Bhuts. This year was the first time growing the Peach. Regarding its flavour, Greenman28 / Josh's description in his grow log sums it up really well; ”truly fruity up front, even 'peachy' if you're creative. But the heat was more than I expected, and it kept creeping and creeping and creeping as Bhut's do. Wow, what a flavor”.

Out of the four coloured Bhuts, these are the closest to the original red (my favourite super hot) but with a nicer aroma and fruity flavour.

You can't see it in the following shot but the inside walls had drops of capsaicin oil. Next time I cut one open I'll try to remember to pull out my macro lens.

I would be remiss if if I didn't send out a big Thank You to kentishman for sharing his seeds with me! This one is a keeper!

I'm still waiting for my Aji Lucento, Gold Habanero, Manzano, Seven Pot Jonah, Trinidad Scorpion ButchT and Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion to ripen.

Bill

o

Nice Bill! The Piquillo -- is that a sweet?

Also-- the Mirasol...I've heard many times it's the fresh counterpart to Guajillo. But, I've been growing Guajillos for a few years and not one pod has ever "looked to the sun." Maybe it's a case that if one doesn't have Guajillos, dried Mirasols are a decent substitute?

Kevin

o

Hey Kevin,

Yes, the Piquillo is a sweet but as I said, needs to be roasted to really bring the flavour out.

Now that you mentioned it, I do recall reading something about the Mirasol being the fresh form of ?.

My seed source was NMSU CPI so I'm pretty confident I received true Mirasol seed. Its growth pattern is totally different from Guajillo As for a substitute, fresh or dried it's nowhere like the Guajillo. A great pepper in its own right, just not a fresh name for any dried variety I'm aware of.

Bill

o

Bill: I'm not doubting whether you have Mirasol... pretty evident with the growth pattern I'm glad you cleared it up.

Note to self and wherever I heard it---- Mirasol does not equal Guajillo.

Kevin

o
RE: A little late to the party - Ottawapeppers 2014 Grow

Kevin,

Your Mirasol question was nagging at me so I did a little poking around. Sure enough, there are a number of references to dried Mirasol's being called Guaillo. I don't get it? For me, side by side they're nothing alike. Flavour wise they're both in the same heat range but the fresh Guajillo has a more earthy taste with raisin and tobacco undertones.

I'll emphasize my experience is with growing the "NuMex" Mirasol, a hybridized version that appears to be more compact than a straight Mirasol. Regardless, my Guajillo may start out with small pods facing up but once they get an larger than 1/2 - 3/4 inch they grow downward. My Mirasols max out at around 4 inches in length while the Guajillos clock in at 6 - 8 inches.

Maybe others can add some clarification. If Willard3 sees this post he may add his perspective, he's pretty well versed in the Mexican varieties. I'll add a separate post later on the Mirasol / Guajillo question.

Bill

Update: Willard3's response in a separate thread Response

"Guajillo is a guajillo, either dried or fresh. Both are labeled guajillo in the mercados in the Bajío of Méjico..

Mirasol is not a chile seen in the mercados much. "

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 9:46

o

Today's harvest.

I managed to get a ripe Poblano before the earwigs yahoo!

Still waiting on the trailing hots. Should be soon.

Starting at 12:00 going clockwise: Piquillo, Santaka, Carolina Reaper, Seven Pot Douglah, Brain Strain - Yellow, Chervena Chujska, Medium sized Red Ruffle, Cosa Arrugadade, Poblano, Naga Jolokia (PC-1), Aleppo, Peruvian Serlano and Peru Scarlet Lantern.

Center: Tequila Sunrise.

o

That is one full and beautiful plate! I need a black plate....

Josh

o

Bill,
Your peach bhut looks different than mine... I'll have to post a pic. but mine is very bumpy.

I've got a question. did your scarlet lantern start out kinda light orangish then turn dark purple before turning red? I don't think mine ever turned red, or maybe I gave up too soon, but mine turned really dark purple and stayed that way. They never looked like the photos you see of them on the web.

Pam

p.s. hey, you didn't have to open the link. ;-)

o

Pam, my Scarlet Lanterns start out light green and transition through purple, orange and red. I think you could have let them go a little longer. It's still a nice orange though ;-)

Here's a shot of a few off om plant this morning at different stages.

o

It's that time of the year... been busy seeding, drying, powdering & flaking, freezing, smoking, stuffing and freezing, making sauces, etc.

Here's a shot of a small load in my lazy man Bradley.

Part of this past weekends harvest;

12:00 Clockwise: Bhut Jolokia - Peach, Carolina Reaper, Onza Roja, Seven Pot Douglah, Guajillo, Naga Jolokia PC1, Trinidad Scorpion ButchT, Jalapeno, Santaka, Piquillo, Brain Strain - Yellow, Cosa Arrugadade

Center Top: Numex Espanola then Peruvian Serlano

Center Bottom Left to Right: Scotch Bonnet MOA, Tequila Sunrise, Unknown, Peru Scarlet Lantern

Top Right going down: Red Ruffle, Pitanga Amarela, Aleppo (PI 315028), NuMex Mirasol

Here's a couple of peppers I haven't posted yet.

The Onza Roja is a medium heat pepper that clocks in around 100K - 140K SHU. Decent flavour with a kick. It's a decent producer as well. I'm using them frozen and dried for powders and spicing up soups and sauces.

The so called Piri Piri is in reality the African Bird's Eye chile. The African is both a bit larger and hotter than the traditional Bird's Eye. It clocks in at around 150+ SHU and produces very well on a 4 - 5 foot plant. My seed is from a descendant of a plant grown from seeds collected from pods purchased in a market in Evora Portugal where it is use extensively dried and in sauces. Did someone say Piri Piri chicken... YUM! ;-)

I've been harvesting some more Peach Bhut Jolokia pods as they ripen. I'm quite impressed with this variety. Great flavour and a real kick heat wise.

Pam, I'm interested in your comment that your Peach Bhuts are bumpier than mine appear. Here are a couple of shots that better illustrate my pod's skin. If yours are different I'd love to give them a try (wink).

Finally, a few shots of a couple of Cosa Arrugadade pods. After speaking with a person who's first language was Spanish, I now understand the peppers name. I knew it meant wrinkled but they described the name as wrinkled as in an old mans face. Ding Ding Ding... the seed I originally received was labeled Cosa Arrugada de Viejo. The wrinkled faced old man of Viego. I love this hobby!

That's all for now,

Bill

o

Hey Bill... I don't know, I think mine are bumpier. I'll post a pic when I get home, I took a few. I thought mine were really weird looking cos they are just covered in little bumps. I'll post a pic and let you decide what you want to do.
Pam

o

More awesome pics Bill! Love 'em!

Btw, viejo/vieja translates to old.

How's the weather?

Kevin

o

Here's my peach bhut.
Pam

o

I took an inventory of my dried pods, powdered pods and powder mixes tonight.

In addition to a load of frozen pods vac sealed in the basement freezer, my GF said she thinks I have enough. I don't think she understands me or is sensitive to my needs. OK, genetic defect that says never enough!

o

Interesting Pam. While I have a few that are close, the majority are not. How do they smell / taste? I'll be in touch, I'd like to borrow a couple of seeds from you.

o

AHA! I suspected it - capsaicin causes genetic defects.

Just wait til George Noory gets a hint of this! Ii will go right up there with monkey genes causing the cancer epidemic.

o

Hey Bill... hmmm, I don't remember smell (I didn't have a great season with them, always fighting aphids and they've done damage this year, even with tons of ladybugs, ladybug larvae, and lacewings) I collected seeds from those two early in the season and they haven't produced anything since, and heck, no way in hell I'm eating one of those things. ;-) so, sorry, no report on that front.
Pam

o

Thanks Kevin. Yes, stoodunder, viejo translates to old.

LOL @ Dennis.

Pam, aw come on, ya gotta taste them. If you're going to sell them you have to be able to inform / warn your customers of their attributes!

Bill

o

Nice harvest Bill. I'm still waiting for mine to ripen (have a few more Hinkelhatz). The Tequila Sunrise are starting to cork (it's been dry past couple of weeks) but not turn. You didn't tell me when you sent seeds that there would be an occasional hot one! Thanks for the warning. Plants are loaded with pods, I'm just waiting for color! Alma are still yellow too.

o

Bill... not only no but HELL NO! ;-) anyway, I really don't like the flavor of the habs, so I assume it will be the same with the Indian peppers. I tell my customers that I grow them, I don't eat them. :-) I tell them they are hot, and people say they are fruity... nuff said.

I have tried and tried to force myself to like habs (I used to hate cilantro when I was young, now I love it so I figured it might be the same with habs). A few weeks ago I picked a few peppers, put a little cheese in them and baked them a short time, I included an Aji Dulce. When the smell wafted up from the plate, my first thought was... I will puke if I eat that. I did eat it, I didn't puke, but I did NOT enjoy it... so, as of now, I have given up trying to force myself to like and eat habs... oh well.. I gave it a good college try.

Pam

o

Of course he's late! The dude lives in Ottawa. Their growing season is only 4 weeks long. After that it reverts to a barren wasteland with polar bears and flying hockey pucks!

o

Howdy!

Bill, your Peach Bhut pods are smoother than the ones on my plants, as well; however, I wonder if the climate and growing conditions have a considerable amount to do with that. I recall that your Chocolate Ghosts last year were much smoother than mine. I think I will have to grow the Chocolate Ghost seeds you sent me to do a little comparison next season.

Josh

o

I picked a few more pods this morning.....

Josh

o

Thanks ajsmama. Sorry I didn't warn you about the very random zingers.

LOL @ Pam

Josh, not to sure about the climate affect on shape, I don't usually have problems producing gnarly pods. I did have watering and nutrient issues at the beginning of the season, maybe this had an impact?

It may be that my seed source's pods aren't as wrinkled as yours or Pam's. Hopefully kentishman sees this and chimes in. Regardless of the shape, your description of flavor was bang on. Maybe a trade is in order ;-)

rick_in_va, Thank you. Your post caused me to laugh loud enough that my GF in another room wanted to know what was so funny.

You forgot to add that the first week of the growing season is a short one because it's the same time we round up our elderly and send them off on ice floes to die alone ;-))

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 17:26

o

Uggg, just heard the weather forecast. Risk of frost in the area tomorrow night. The season is finally coming to an end. I've already culled five plants that were basically spent. No chance of a second crop here. I'll probably cull another six or seven tomorrow.

It's now a race to the end for five plants that have not put out any ripe pods yet. My; Aji Lucento; Costeno; Gold Habanero; Seven Pot Jonah and Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion. My Piri Piri (African Bird's Eye) has only just started to put out a few ripe pods. Looks like I'll be covering and hoping for the best.

Took a few shots of a couple of pods while I've been twiddling my thumbs waiting for pods to ripen.

Here's a closer shot of one I've posted before, the Peruvian Serlano. If anyone has any experience growing these I'm curious how mine compare.

Here's a shot of one I haven't posted a picture yet this season, the Takanotsume (aka Hawk's Claw)

And a closer crop. not sure which shot I like better.

Please forgive the copyright notice on these shots. A little bird who's had some of their shots lifted and used without authorization sent me an email to remind me to include it. I have no problem sharing my better shots, I'd just like to be asked, approve and be given credit if they're used elsewhere.

Bill

o

I know what you mean, I've had a few of my dog photos lifted... heck, I recently found one offered on a website as a downloadable wallpaper. I'm sorry your season is coming to such an abrupt end. :-(

Pam

o

Pam, I hope you got the lifted pictures taken down. If you'd like a sample of a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) take down letter to send to the offenders site hosting company, send me an email.

I dodged the frost warning for my area last night. I didn't want to take a chance so I harvested all the ripening and ripe peppers and covered seven plants I still want fruit from. I'll be sending spent plants to their final resting place this week. I've had to admit the 2014 season is ending.

I harvested my first 7 Pot Jonah of the year. Definitely a different pepper than the crossed pods I thought were Jonahs a couple of years ago. I got my seeds for this year's grow from rdback (a source I trust) so I'm confident they're the real deal.

And now for something a little different...

I recently commented in another post that pepper twins (two pods from one stalk) was not too rare and this was the first year in the past 3 or 4 I haven't had one.

I was wrong. Doing my before a possible frost harvest I found these guys hiding on my Mirasol.

While I've had two distinct pods on one stem before this is the first time I've seen one wrapping around the other. I thought it was neat. If you don't, sorry or wasting your time ;-))

That's all for now,

Bill

o

Thanks Bill, but I figured so long as they aren't making money off of it (I don't think they are) I don't care. It was upsetting a few years ago as one of my pics was showing up all over the place, and the pic was of my favorite bred by boy that died tragically at the age of 3. That one bothered me, but apparently his photo isn't as interesting anymore.
Pam

o

Nice! A Nautilus pod!

Josh

o

Well, I'm pretty much in the last gasps of my 2014 season. Unlike the frost warning I dodged a few days ago, tonight I'm in for our first freeze... low of 32°F / 0°C / 273.15°K

Even thought there are a few warmer days ahead, I'm at the point in my chile growing life where I'm not lugging 30+ 5 gallon pots in and out of the garage.

Did my last medium pull of ripening and almost ripe pods for 2014 and selected four (maybe five depending on any input to my earlier post) plants for overnight in the garage. The rest will meet their maker ;-)

On a positive note, I harvested the first Gold Hab that hadn't been ruined by earwigs this year. I was really stoked earlier this year when my last seven year old seed sprouted. I'm equally stoked now that I have fresh seeds!

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 18:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here