Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottawapepper

A little late to the party� Ottawapeppers 2014 Grow

ottawapepper
9 years ago

Hi folks,

Yes, I know I'm late. the season is almost half over. My bad.

For those interested, here's a bit of a long winded description of my season so far.

My objective for 2014 was to:

- grow out some seeds in my inventory I haven't tried yet, some 5, 6 even 7 years old;
- grow out seeds for varieties I'm really low on to replenish my stock, and;
- grow some of my standards I use on a regular basis through out the year.

I ended up optimistically starting 44 varieties for myself but in the end had to cull them back to 31 varieties for space reasons.

As usual this season I started my long season super hots in January and my regular season ones too soon in mid to late February. Unlike previous seasons, I've had a few mostly self inflicted bone head stumbles this year.

I started off seeding 144 (2 x 72 cell trays) cells in dry mix with the intent of dropping the trays off with friends to start while I was out of town for a few weeks. The day before I was going to drop them off the heat pump went in their greenhouse grow area (they're farmers). I decided to dome the trays and keep them in my coolish basement and start them when I returned. I got home after 15 days to a bunch of extremely leggy half dead starts. I guess there was enough humidity to get a few growing. I salvaged most by sinking them deep in 3 inch pots, they are tougher than you think.

From there I managed, with a little help from my well intentioned GF, to screw up my watering regime. Yep, after many years growing I did the noob thing and overwatered. Yes I forgot the pepper growers version of the carpenters "measure twice and cut once" rule. I didn't check to see if they needed water, I just watered. Oh, the shame!

While getting the watering sorted out, knowing better, I decided to use up some old fertilizer for my first few feeds on some of the starts. Big mistake. I'm pretty sure concentrated salts in the old ferts caused a few plants to go into nutrient lock out. I'm still struggling with a few, mostly chinense, not taking up nutrients properly. I have a question on this later.

Fast forward to today, we've had a cool and wet start to the growing season up here. I didn't get my plants hardened off and potted up into 5 gallon pots until late May. Since then we've had our fair share of cool and wet days.

We had to do some work around our patio and walkways in the backyard so I took the opportunity to pull all my potted plants into one area for a family shot. They look like drowned rats due to two days of torrential downpours before I took the shot.

I'll start posting updates and more detailed pictures as the season progresses.

Now a question for you fish emulsion experts. My chinenses seem starved for Nitrogen more than anything else. I'm really hesitant to hit them with more salt based nutes. I found 5-1-1 Fish Emulsion Fertilizer at a local garden center. My question is; can I double or even triple the dose without causing problems. I figure since salts are non existent it shouldn't burn the root and the plants can take as much as the need.

Yes? No?

TIA,

Bill

Comments (129)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is one full and beautiful plate! I need a black plate....

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Bill,
    Your peach bhut looks different than mine... I'll have to post a pic. but mine is very bumpy.

I've got a question. did your scarlet lantern start out kinda light orangish then turn dark purple before turning red? I don't think mine ever turned red, or maybe I gave up too soon, but mine turned really dark purple and stayed that way. They never looked like the photos you see of them on the web.

Pam

p.s. hey, you didn't have to open the link. ;-)

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pam, my Scarlet Lanterns start out light green and transition through purple, orange and red. I think you could have let them go a little longer. It's still a nice orange though ;-)

Here's a shot of a few off om plant this morning at different stages.

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's that time of the year... been busy seeding, drying, powdering & flaking, freezing, smoking, stuffing and freezing, making sauces, etc.

Here's a shot of a small load in my lazy man Bradley.

Part of this past weekends harvest;

12:00 Clockwise: Bhut Jolokia - Peach, Carolina Reaper, Onza Roja, Seven Pot Douglah, Guajillo, Naga Jolokia PC1, Trinidad Scorpion ButchT, Jalapeno, Santaka, Piquillo, Brain Strain - Yellow, Cosa Arrugadade

Center Top: Numex Espanola then Peruvian Serlano

Center Bottom Left to Right: Scotch Bonnet MOA, Tequila Sunrise, Unknown, Peru Scarlet Lantern

Top Right going down: Red Ruffle, Pitanga Amarela, Aleppo (PI 315028), NuMex Mirasol

Here's a couple of peppers I haven't posted yet.

The Onza Roja is a medium heat pepper that clocks in around 100K - 140K SHU. Decent flavour with a kick. It's a decent producer as well. I'm using them frozen and dried for powders and spicing up soups and sauces.

The so called Piri Piri is in reality the African Bird's Eye chile. The African is both a bit larger and hotter than the traditional Bird's Eye. It clocks in at around 150+ SHU and produces very well on a 4 - 5 foot plant. My seed is from a descendant of a plant grown from seeds collected from pods purchased in a market in Evora Portugal where it is use extensively dried and in sauces. Did someone say Piri Piri chicken... YUM! ;-)

I've been harvesting some more Peach Bhut Jolokia pods as they ripen. I'm quite impressed with this variety. Great flavour and a real kick heat wise.

Pam, I'm interested in your comment that your Peach Bhuts are bumpier than mine appear. Here are a couple of shots that better illustrate my pod's skin. If yours are different I'd love to give them a try (wink).

Finally, a few shots of a couple of Cosa Arrugadade pods. After speaking with a person who's first language was Spanish, I now understand the peppers name. I knew it meant wrinkled but they described the name as wrinkled as in an old mans face. Ding Ding Ding... the seed I originally received was labeled Cosa Arrugada de Viejo. The wrinkled faced old man of Viego. I love this hobby!

That's all for now,

Bill

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Hey Bill... I don't know, I think mine are bumpier. I'll post a pic when I get home, I took a few. I thought mine were really weird looking cos they are just covered in little bumps. I'll post a pic and let you decide what you want to do.
    Pam

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

More awesome pics Bill! Love 'em!

Btw, viejo/vieja translates to old.

How's the weather?

Kevin

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Here's my peach bhut.
    Pam

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took an inventory of my dried pods, powdered pods and powder mixes tonight.

In addition to a load of frozen pods vac sealed in the basement freezer, my GF said she thinks I have enough. I don't think she understands me or is sensitive to my needs. OK, genetic defect that says never enough!

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting Pam. While I have a few that are close, the majority are not. How do they smell / taste? I'll be in touch, I'd like to borrow a couple of seeds from you.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

AHA! I suspected it - capsaicin causes genetic defects.

Just wait til George Noory gets a hint of this! Ii will go right up there with monkey genes causing the cancer epidemic.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Hey Bill... hmmm, I don't remember smell (I didn't have a great season with them, always fighting aphids and they've done damage this year, even with tons of ladybugs, ladybug larvae, and lacewings) I collected seeds from those two early in the season and they haven't produced anything since, and heck, no way in hell I'm eating one of those things. ;-) so, sorry, no report on that front.
    Pam

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kevin. Yes, stoodunder, viejo translates to old.

LOL @ Dennis.

Pam, aw come on, ya gotta taste them. If you're going to sell them you have to be able to inform / warn your customers of their attributes!

Bill

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Nice harvest Bill. I'm still waiting for mine to ripen (have a few more Hinkelhatz). The Tequila Sunrise are starting to cork (it's been dry past couple of weeks) but not turn. You didn't tell me when you sent seeds that there would be an occasional hot one! Thanks for the warning. Plants are loaded with pods, I'm just waiting for color! Alma are still yellow too.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Bill... not only no but HELL NO! ;-) anyway, I really don't like the flavor of the habs, so I assume it will be the same with the Indian peppers. I tell my customers that I grow them, I don't eat them. :-) I tell them they are hot, and people say they are fruity... nuff said.

I have tried and tried to force myself to like habs (I used to hate cilantro when I was young, now I love it so I figured it might be the same with habs). A few weeks ago I picked a few peppers, put a little cheese in them and baked them a short time, I included an Aji Dulce. When the smell wafted up from the plate, my first thought was... I will puke if I eat that. I did eat it, I didn't puke, but I did NOT enjoy it... so, as of now, I have given up trying to force myself to like and eat habs... oh well.. I gave it a good college try.

Pam

• rick_in_va
    9 years ago

Of course he's late! The dude lives in Ottawa. Their growing season is only 4 weeks long. After that it reverts to a barren wasteland with polar bears and flying hockey pucks!

9 years ago

Howdy!

Bill, your Peach Bhut pods are smoother than the ones on my plants, as well; however, I wonder if the climate and growing conditions have a considerable amount to do with that. I recall that your Chocolate Ghosts last year were much smoother than mine. I think I will have to grow the Chocolate Ghost seeds you sent me to do a little comparison next season.

Josh

9 years ago

I picked a few more pods this morning.....

Josh

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ajsmama. Sorry I didn't warn you about the very random zingers.

LOL @ Pam

Josh, not to sure about the climate affect on shape, I don't usually have problems producing gnarly pods. I did have watering and nutrient issues at the beginning of the season, maybe this had an impact?

It may be that my seed source's pods aren't as wrinkled as yours or Pam's. Hopefully kentishman sees this and chimes in. Regardless of the shape, your description of flavor was bang on. Maybe a trade is in order ;-)

rick_in_va, Thank you. Your post caused me to laugh loud enough that my GF in another room wanted to know what was so funny.

You forgot to add that the first week of the growing season is a short one because it's the same time we round up our elderly and send them off on ice floes to die alone ;-))

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 17:26

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Uggg, just heard the weather forecast. Risk of frost in the area tomorrow night. The season is finally coming to an end. I've already culled five plants that were basically spent. No chance of a second crop here. I'll probably cull another six or seven tomorrow.

It's now a race to the end for five plants that have not put out any ripe pods yet. My; Aji Lucento; Costeno; Gold Habanero; Seven Pot Jonah and Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion. My Piri Piri (African Bird's Eye) has only just started to put out a few ripe pods. Looks like I'll be covering and hoping for the best.

Took a few shots of a couple of pods while I've been twiddling my thumbs waiting for pods to ripen.

Here's a closer shot of one I've posted before, the Peruvian Serlano. If anyone has any experience growing these I'm curious how mine compare.

Here's a shot of one I haven't posted a picture yet this season, the Takanotsume (aka Hawk's Claw)

And a closer crop. not sure which shot I like better.

Please forgive the copyright notice on these shots. A little bird who's had some of their shots lifted and used without authorization sent me an email to remind me to include it. I have no problem sharing my better shots, I'd just like to be asked, approve and be given credit if they're used elsewhere.

Bill

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I know what you mean, I've had a few of my dog photos lifted... heck, I recently found one offered on a website as a downloadable wallpaper. I'm sorry your season is coming to such an abrupt end. :-(

Pam

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pam, I hope you got the lifted pictures taken down. If you'd like a sample of a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) take down letter to send to the offenders site hosting company, send me an email.

I dodged the frost warning for my area last night. I didn't want to take a chance so I harvested all the ripening and ripe peppers and covered seven plants I still want fruit from. I'll be sending spent plants to their final resting place this week. I've had to admit the 2014 season is ending.

I harvested my first 7 Pot Jonah of the year. Definitely a different pepper than the crossed pods I thought were Jonahs a couple of years ago. I got my seeds for this year's grow from rdback (a source I trust) so I'm confident they're the real deal.

And now for something a little different...

I recently commented in another post that pepper twins (two pods from one stalk) was not too rare and this was the first year in the past 3 or 4 I haven't had one.

I was wrong. Doing my before a possible frost harvest I found these guys hiding on my Mirasol.

While I've had two distinct pods on one stem before this is the first time I've seen one wrapping around the other. I thought it was neat. If you don't, sorry or wasting your time ;-))

That's all for now,

Bill

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Thanks Bill, but I figured so long as they aren't making money off of it (I don't think they are) I don't care. It was upsetting a few years ago as one of my pics was showing up all over the place, and the pic was of my favorite bred by boy that died tragically at the age of 3. That one bothered me, but apparently his photo isn't as interesting anymore.
    Pam

9 years ago

Nice! A Nautilus pod!

Josh

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I'm pretty much in the last gasps of my 2014 season. Unlike the frost warning I dodged a few days ago, tonight I'm in for our first freeze... low of 32°F / 0°C / 273.15°K

Even thought there are a few warmer days ahead, I'm at the point in my chile growing life where I'm not lugging 30+ 5 gallon pots in and out of the garage.

Did my last medium pull of ripening and almost ripe pods for 2014 and selected four (maybe five depending on any input to my earlier post) plants for overnight in the garage. The rest will meet their maker ;-)

On a positive note, I harvested the first Gold Hab that hadn't been ruined by earwigs this year. I was really stoked earlier this year when my last seven year old seed sprouted. I'm equally stoked now that I have fresh seeds!

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 18:11

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Hey Bill:
    Just wanted to send condolences regarding the shooting at the War Memorial in your great country. Since I know you are from Ottawa, I immediately thought of you when the news started breaking. Know that your southern brothers are with you in fighting against this scourge and I hope you didn't have any personal affiliation with the deceased and injured.
    I will say a special prayer for your country, its military members and veterans.
    Bruce

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Bill,

What would you like to know about Pam's Bhut? lol. I grew both Pam's and kentishman's . Pam's is a rougher, Hers had more aroma and a slightly stronger taste. His was a little bigger and had better shape. heat wise i didn't notice a difference but, i didn't try them together to compare them. i will check and see if i have any ripe ones left to compare. i just filled up my dehydrator with them. so i may have to wait a few days. . John

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Bill were the NuMex Mirisol you were growing from me from last year's seed swap.

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bruce, thank you sir.

John, Thanks for the info. Pam has set me up with some of her seeds so I can compare this coming season.

LexxLuthor, my Mirisol was grow from saved seeds from a plant I grew from NMSU CPI seed.

Bill

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

I never asked her , but if you go look at the pics. I would guess she got them from Junglerain. Very thin wall and i got lots of odd shaped pods, but a definate Bhut smell and taste to it.I lwill grow it again next year and try and get seed from a few more sources to compare. thanks again for the seed you srnt me Bill, the Moruga you sent me turned picture perfect. i had been chasing that one a couple years and ending up with questionable strains. My trade list is updated. let me know if there is anything you want on there. John

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to hear the moruga grew out true for you. Thanks for letting me know.

Did you grow out any of the others I sent?

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

John, I think yours are orange bhuts from Judy. I got orange accidentally, the ones I grew this year are peach, they look completely different... can't remember where I got them, but I didn't get any of my bhuts from Grant.
    Pam

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Bill,

everything you sent me did good. i found 1 cross in the chocolate bhuts. no big deal. I have gotten lots of crosses this year, and i am sure i probally passed out a bunch too cause i found 5 in my own seed. between trades and my own seed, last couple years i have had around 750 plants per year. the previous year i had 1/4 percent crosses. this year it jumped up to 3 percent.

Pam,

Thats interesting, i checked out Judys site. The orange she has looks like the yellow you sent me. They got a really dark shade almost orange. the peach you sent me i would never consider orange.they got a really nice dark peach color and put out tons of peppers. i don't know, i grew Morugas, Chocolate Bhuts, and Brain Strain from multiple seed sources to compare this year. maybe next year i'll try peach and yellow bhuts from as many sources as i can find. I might have to hit up "the bhutman" Josh for some seed.

Bill, btw you should be a photographer, your pics are amazing as always. i tell myself every year i am gonna do like you do... but i never end up making the time to do it. You should publish a book for identification purposes, i would buy it. I wish you guys would get rid of that stupid metric system though.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Oh John (shaking head), considering the US is only one of a few (I think 3) countries in the world that doesn't use the metric system I think it is we that needs to evolve. :-) The metric system is much more logical than our system.

Honestly I don't remember, but I know you didn't get peach from me last year and I didn't get peach seeds until fall 2013, not sure where I got the peach seeds, and I didn't go look to see where I got the orange ones the year before, but I'm almost positive it was Judy. The peach are not a dark peach but very light peach colored, very distinctive. Mine look like the photograph that I put further up the posts. It's wavy and bumpy, doesn't look like yours at all.
    Pam

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 12:42

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Pam,

i don't know, i can't remember. i will check tonight after work. i still have all the packaging from this year in a storage box. in your case, i probally still have seeds, i planted alot but i don't think i planted all of them. it was late in the fall when we traded, are you sure you didn't send me some you didn't plant? It possible i might have screwed up, but i can't imagine labeling all those plants peach if the seed package said orange. I am really curious now. I can't wait to get off work to find out. If its my mistake, i am gonna be very upset. i still have one of them in a 5 gallon pot in my basement labele Peach Bhut/ Pam. Orange wouldn't have even been a color i would have considered growing. Maybe they came from someone else? thanks alot Pam, this is gonna drive me nuts thinking about this till i get off work. Either way, i am happy with it and will grow it again. name may be change to " Not Pams Bhut" we'll see. In the mean time, you are probally planting. if there is anything on my list you want just let me know . John

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John, thank you. I'm glad you enjoy my shots.

LOL at the metric comment. Pam was right with 3. You sir, and all my great friends south of the border are in the illustrious company of Liberia and Myanmar hanging on to the Imperial System.

Seriously, I'm an old fogie who grew up through the Imperial to Metric transition in Canada. After all the years that have past, I still revert to Imperial when I visualize size, volume, etc.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I guess I should be more accurate, I am sure I labeled them as Peach bhuts, I mislabeled, they were orange bhuts. Sorry about that. I doubt that I sent you any out of the ones I just purchased as I usually buy enough to barely grow what I need. It's usually year two that I give away seeds.
    Pam

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Pam,

No big deal... i liked it and like i said, i probally wouldn't have asked for an orange variety, but it turned out good and i would disagree with Judy calling it orange. they got a really pretty dark shade of peach. I wiil put it into inventory for personal use. Just glad to hear i didn't miss-label them. Its fine that you did, but i am pretty anal about keeping stuff labeled and would be upset if i screwed that one up. email me a list of what you want and i will get them in the mail. John

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Ugh... try working on cars these days (mec in my username stands for mechanic). They used to be all Imperial (SAE) nuts and bolts except for on the occasional European and Japanese car.

Then they started mixing in metric nuts and bolts in some of the parts on American cars. Is that a 5/8" or 15mm? A 5/16" or 8mm? 9/32" or 7mm? 1/2" or 12mm?

Now most cars are all metric, which helps tremendously, but just yesterday I worked on a 2007 Dodge 3500 rear end. The axle bolts were 9/16" and the differential cover bolts were 13mm. That kind of stuff will drive ya nuts! ;-)

PS Yes, excellent grow log. :thumbsup:

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Thanks Bill...

• rdback
    9 years ago

"I harvested my first 7 Pot Jonah of the year."

Did you taste it yet? *smile*

Nice grow this year Bill!

Rick

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I apologize, it wasn't so much as that I mislabeled, but I thought they were Peach bhuts, sorry.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "Now most cars are all metric, which helps tremendously,"

Well maybe. But it leaves me with a whole chest full of shiny tools that don't fit anything... [bleh]

Dennis

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

I know Pam was right, everyone likes the metricsystem except those of us that aren't used to it. lol

Dennis, Those S.A.E. tools are still used on most lawnmowers and bicycles. Cars now are getting terrible. i hate working on them

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

"Cars now are getting terrible. i hate working on them"

Welcome to my nightmare. And wait until you get the bill on some these newer cars. What used to be a simple bad fuse or relay, or even a headlight that won't light up, may instead mean the whole underhood or underdash fuse box needs to be replaced to the tune of $1200 or more.

I'm keeping my older, simpler car for as long as possible.

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, hey guys, I had to suck it up years (decades) ago and buy both Imperial and Metric socket sets. Actually, they sell combined sets up here.

Don't get me started on "modern" vehicles.

Rick, the Jonah lit me up (to put it mildly).

We discussed (a year or two ago) how my Morugas looked like your original Jonahs and after seeing and tasting both I wouldn't be surprised if it was genetically proved they were one and the same. Just different names.

Just my crazy opinion ;-)

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Mecdave, i said i hate it, but i still do it. I just finished rebuilding the transmission in my wifes Trailblazer a couple weeks ago. Just wanted to clear that up so you don't think i'm some kind geek that can't do anything i still do it.. i just hate it...lol

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "Dennis, Those S.A.E. tools are still used on most lawnmowers and bicycles."

Negative. My lawn mower has a Wisconsin Robins (ostensibly U.S.) engine. My bicycle is made by Raleigh U.S. Both are totally metric. (Except for one (1) engine mounting bolt on the mower.)

- Dennis, who knows his height and weight, but not in metric measures

Besides, the Metric System is a product of France.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

P.S. I do neither plumbing nor automatic transmission.

Or is that a redundant statement?

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Yeah, I don't do transmissions either. I bow to Sir John's expertise and determination... or is it desperation? Either way, I feel for ya man. ;-)

(sorry for dragging the thread off-topic Ottawa)

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Yeah, I sure miss the old days when you could do all the work on your car yourself. I had a 240Z as a college student and changed the transmission with my boyfriend. I always did as much work as I could on my car (mom once said to a friend, "My little girl has turned into a boy." ;-)) They make it so difficult to do it yourself anymore. Husband threw a fit the first time he tried to check the oil in an ex car we had, there was no way to check it, only way was the idiot light, it was sealed. Husband being a race car driver we have a full set of metric and imperial, so we're set for anything.
    Pam

Sponsored