Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Moruga Scorpion

Bill_Missy
10 years ago

Hello all,

I have several plants growing of many types, they all have pods on them (Bhuts, Tabasco, Dorset Naga, 7 Pot Yellows, Reapers, Butch T etc etc) But out of my 5 very healthy and awesome looking (IMO :) ) Moruga Scorpions, they are not pod'ing with very few flowers/buds.

Question is do they take longer than "normal" compared to other super hots? I have two that are pushing 2 feet tall and look great but do not want to produce. I have read this is a very hard pepper to grow. It is growing very easy for me just no pods.

Bill

Comments (2)

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Having no idea about your seed source there is no way to tell what you are growing.
    The original Morouga Blend(Scorpion) was stable but would either be Hotter than heck or the high end of hab hot.
    It either would defrost your freezer or just make a cool salsa.
    I see people now saying Morouga Blend is different than Morouga Scorpion.
    With ANY pod Variation being called a new strain these days everything is a crap shoot.
    I had a Chaguanas 7 pot #2 in a trade that I only spread seeds around for 2 seasons ago.
    It looked like a 7 pot X bhut type pod.
    It was from seeds from Chauguanas,no bhuts anywhere around.
    Now I see all kinds of variations of it that are from peoples grow outs of non isolated seeds.
    All called new strains in just 1-2 seasons,probabably from non isolated seeds.

I only grew it out a few seasons before I spread it around.
    Many people said their plants from my isolated seeds were as hot or hotter than bhuts.
    BUT that all depends on the taster...

I've grown a 7 pot that most consider as stable for about 4 yrs. in isolation before it decided to grow different pods.
    Anything is called whatever people want to call it at any given time.
    Nobody isolates stuff long enough to tell what they really have.
    Trades are from pod sales and traded seeds are who knows what these days.
    ANYTHING that looks cool or is hotter than whatever is declared a new strain.

I hope you got a burner from the seeds you are growing,if that is what you want.
    There is no way to tell what your seeds grew anymore,too much crossed stuff and unstable stuff around these days.
    Good luck with whatever you are growing.
    I don't see much difference in pod production between super hots and habaneros.
    I have A Surinam Hab ,Chocolate Scorpion,White Scorpion,Caribean Fire , cap 691, cumari and a few more budding right now that were all sprouted at the same time.
    I rarely see anything of the same variety budding different though once pods form different Chinense might take a little longer to ripen.
    Baccatums and Pubescense can be a problem at times...I've had either take forever to ripen.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Bill, I have Scropion Moruga too, one of the plants have about 20 pods so far so good for a first grower and many are on the way. Every knots has pods maximum 3 pods. Another Plant got only one pod and a few flowers not big like others. Another one is keep growing not yet podding. I am wondering about the possibility of fertilizing dose and timing. All the seeds were from one source the www.pepperlover.com.

From my own grow experiences Moruga is also one of the easiest to grow varieties they are almost same like 7 Pods, they have almost similar features. Most difficult one I have experienced are Ghost. My opinion might be wrong because the health of our plants start from the seeds :-).

I do not have any idea why they are not podding properly. I hope someone may have a good answer for you.

Good luck
    Caelian

Sponsored