Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Used coffee grounds

Posted by biggjoe 5, Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 19:07

Has anyone tried "used coffee grounds" as a fertilizer around their pepper plants? I know that used coffee grounds are very popular to use in composting and to spread around flowers. I think the UCG's are supposed to be high in Nitrogen. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Used coffee grounds

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 19:26

Not high enough to use as a fertilizer.

o

it is true they are low in value in and of themselves but they cant hurt either!!

the worms love them and actually promote them in your garden

more worms = more worm poop which = great free fertilizer

banana peals work great too the worm love um!!

tea bags and coffee grounds adds a little acid to the soil and keeps cutworms at bay
so really its win win

my hot peppers and tomatos do great with them around the root base

hope this helps your friend Joe

o

eh, the acidity isn't always changed by the coffee grounds. once you brew them, they are heavily buffered by the pH of your water, which I believe, is generally relatively alkaline (and safe for human consumption).

o

• Posted by ozzz 5 NE (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 15:51

I can tell you this, I put some used coffee grounds in a peach hab's container once (3 gallon) and that plant BLEW up that year, literally tripled in size and blooms. Unfortunately the millions of flowers dropped and dropped and dropped due to all the nitrogen. So I wouldnt say they are to weak to be used at all as it completely stopped the plant from producing fruits. As soon as I repotted it to fresh soil, vegetative growth stopped and it started fruiting again.

Coffee grounds can definately be used, but they do contain a large amount of nitrogen and dont seem to be of the correct proportions to use for fruit production. BTW I used about half a coffee filters worth in the pot.

o

Coffee grounds spread around each plant act as a very effective barrier to slugs and snails. Apparently they contain a toxin which is deadly to them. I have seen a snail that attempted to cross the line, in its death throes!

o

From what I've read about coffee grounds is that they are low in nutrients (almost everything nutrient wise) but are like using bark in a soil mix.
As they break down they lock up nitrogen from the soil they are in.
Once they reach a certain point they start releasing it back into the soil like bark does.
Natural time release ferts...

They also hold a lot of water which can be good...

By themselves,straight from Starbucks they are pretty nutrient deficient in general and depending on how much water was run through them to make coffee they really differ from each other , from source to source(resturaunt or coffee house) because different coffee brewers work differently-different temps and amounts of water were run through them etc..
All coffee grounds are not the same.
Even the coarseness of the grind makes a differeance.
Ask a coffee addict/connoisseur...
Worms eating them only makes whatever nutrients that are left in them more accessable to the plants.
So depending on how much nitrogen the coffee grounds obsorbed while breaking down is what becomes more easily available to the plants as worm casings along with whatever else the worm eats at the same time.
Bannana Peals are supposed to be high in Phosphorous and or Potasium.
Blossom drop isn't usually caused by too much nitrogen.
Nitrogen can prevent Blossoms from forming to a certain extent but doesn't cause drop.
Ferts high in Potasium and Phosphorous are better for blossom set and forming also root health.
A lack of Calcium causes blossom drop most of the time.
A lack of calcium can be caused by PH or just a lack of calcium in the soil.
Calcium insuficiantcey can also be tied to an overabundance of magnesium also.
Both need a slightly acid soil to be available to plants(same with iron).
There is more to nutrients etc. from organic additives in soil and compost but above is a generalisation about coffe grounds as far as I was able to find from gov. and college ag. site studies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here