Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 19:11

I found this under one of the leaves on a Bhut Jolokia plant. Does anyone know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

looks like it might be a cocoon of somekind! not 100% but thats what i am putting my money on!

o

I think it is from outer space; spores brought on a meteor from some far off planetoid.

o

If It was on a rock by a stream I'd say an empty Caddis Fly nymph case.

The nymphs glue small sticks and rocks together to make their case/home until they turn into adults.

http://web.flycraftangling.com/images/1/img_caddisflies_cased_caddis.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Caddis fly nymph case pics

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 20:47

There is a pond about 3 or 400 yards away. No stream. My only other choice is some alien being from the planet Peppertron????
Do I squash the invasion now to save my pepper and the planet Earth or should I let them be and hope they have come in peace?

o

Maybe early stage of a bagworm bag/cuccoon I would def get rid of it.

o

Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 22:01

I will be excising it tomorrow morning.

o

I'd go with the bagworm guess.

Scroll down the pic link below there is a pic thats very similare to your pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bagworm

o

I think Smoke nailed it. Looks like bagworm to me. Good Job.

o

OK, so I am gonna guess that this is a bad thing and I should get rid of it right away?

o

Yup.No mercy.
Actually Habjolokia guessed it , I just found pics of it.

o

Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 12:28

OK, I will be getting rid of it. Are they normal pests to Peppers? I dont see that mentioned anywhere.

o

I ain't ever seen one on my peppers ;-)

I only have experience with aphids, slugs, earwigs, tomato worms, and deer eating my peppers/plants.

Josh

o

Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 16:50

Well, I pulled it off the leaf today. It almost seemed to be burrowed into the leaf like a Tick or something. I didnt see any reason to pull the entire leaf since the leaf looked fine and healthy. I am still debating whether or not to do something about the ants. There are two or three species at least. One is big black ones at least a 1/4 inch long. Then I have smaller black ones and some small red ones. The red ones are not fire ants....too far north. I am thinking about putting some ant poison down on the dirt. I dont really want to kill everything but I tired of the ants and I dont want them farming any Aphids. I think one of the dust or granual types would just affect the soil and not bother good insects trying to pollinate my blooms.

o

Before laying down any poison, if the ants are not harming anything or farming aphids, leave them be. If they become a burden and multiplying out of control then I would sprinkle a pile of Equal or NutraSweet, I learned this is posinous to ants.

o

Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 23:10

Yah, I have been going back and forth on whether or not to lay down some poison for the ants. I dont think they are doing any harm to my plants and I dont see any aphids. But there are just a lot of them. We have a lot of ants around our area. The soil is almost all sand. That may be why. I just get tired of them being all over the place. Maybe I will try some of the nutra sweet to slow them down a bit.

o

Bag worms for my money. Although most of those Google pics look different These look exactly like yours to me.

http://www.hainaultforest.co.uk/BagWorm on oakleaf.JPG
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2388263495_e1029dee65.jpg

Happy Planting,
Pic-z

P.S. My apologies for the links. I don't know how to make live links like Habjolokia did, yet.

o

Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 19:17

Bag Worms is it. I am sure. That is the only one I found on my plants so far.

o

I raised pine and fir trees and bagworms were a constant. I never saw one with twigs quite that big attached, but other than that it's verrrry similar. Looks like you already figured it out, though ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here