Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Death match?

Posted by alynne 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 19:12

So today I come home and find these 2 on a pepper leaf fallen into the pot. I know one is a ladybug larvae and the other looks like a potato bug but I've never seen one here before. Each barely moves when I poke with a stick and the larvae seems to be stuck to the leaf by it's rear end.

Was there a battle? Any thoughts? I'm really curious.

Alison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Death match?

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 20:11

Those are Godzilla's next two opponents. Due out later this summer.
Bruce

o

Oh No! Poor larva is about to get eaten. What is that other thing?!

o

At this point, it doesn't matter. It's dead.

Stoney

o

Now I'm not sure who is eating whom...

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 20:49

This is way more fun than it should be :D

...my money's on the lady bug larvae!

Jay

o

If I wasn't at work right now, I'd be cracking open a beer :p

Stoney

o

I'm checking every 30 min or so. I'm routing for the larvae but the other monster has an exoskeleton and those wolverine things. Again, what is it?

Stoney, I'll have a beer for you.

o

Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 21:09

OK, we should be in round 4 right now, how about an update? Has anyone gotten an 8 count yet?
Bruce

o

Not sure what it says about me, but this is the most interesting good thing I've been dealing with for 3 weeks. They are still nose to tail. no one eating the other. Any chance they are different stages of the same bug? Mating?

o

Lady bug larva. GOOD THING people buy them for aphid control.

o

"Stoney, I'll have a beer for you."

LOL! 3 more hours to go so I can crack one and go out and check my plants for mayhem!

Stoney

o

Pepperdave,

I know, I have been babying them for 2 years. That is why I want to know what the other thing is. I've never had something attack them before.

Stoney, I'm sorry, I'm drinking Irish Whiskey. will what work?

Al

o

"Stoney, I'm sorry, I'm drinking Irish Whiskey."

I hate you :-)

Stoney

o

Sheesh!

Two different life stages of lady beetles. A larva and a pupa.

o

they are 2 stages of ladybug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmfzHLiGh4

Here is a link that might be useful: life cycle video

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 0:39

Oh, crap, I thought we were going to witness some natural carnage. Now we find it is probably just bug sex.
Bruce

o

Interesting, but I think Jean already said so much, to me it looks like a ladybug larva and a ladybug pupa.
Pam

o

Not sure if one will eat the other. As opposed to lacewing larvae.. which ARE canabilistic.

Kevin

o

Smokemaster - thank you for the video. I have never seen the pupa stage before. The larva did not survive. Was all shriveled up tonight when I got home. I tucked the pupa back in the plant in a shady spot. A little anticlimactic, but I learned and was entertained.

Is the pupa dormant or did it suck the guts out of the larva?

o

The pupa doesn't eat nor does it attack.
It is the intermediate stage between a larva and the adult.
If the pupa wasn't damaged, it will split down the back and an adult lady beetle will step out.

See this
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/NE/convergent_lady_beetle.html

Here is a link that might be useful: lady beetle life cycle in photos

o

the pupa looks kinda translucent, are you sure it hasn't left? When I find them I will brush them lightly to see if they are empty. I wonder what killed the larvae, poor baby.
Pam

o

I don't think(correct me if I'm wrong jean001) the larva died. I think it's just ready to move onto pupal stage.

Kevin

o

Well, these are the combatants Thurs. evening. The larva is totally desiccated. If that is it changing into a pupa I will be amazed. I don't think the pupa has "hatched" yet. No splits on the back and seems solid.

If you look at the first 3 pics, the larva moved to the pupa. I didn't touch them. Just watched. Curious...

o

The big question is: Are ladybugs, at any stage, cannibalistic !?

o

DM,
from what I've read they are very cannibalistic. Will eat anything available. The pupa hasn't changed. I pull it out of the pot to water and then put it back. We will see.

o

The full cycle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here