Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperchuck

My fish

pepperchuck
9 years ago

Just wanted to post a pic. It's definitely one of my favorites in the garden. Can't wait to try it!

Comments (22)

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Great looking peppers, with quite the history...on my list for next year.

Jay

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'm going to try some crosses with this one. On another forum I troll through on occasion there is a thread about a pepper called the "pink tiger." It is an amazing looking pod. One of its parents look something like the fish. I think I'm going to try a cross with ghost, BT scorp, and brainstrain, then keep my fingers crossed to see if something fun comes out of it.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Never grew a Fish. Interesting. Are they supposed to be pretty hot?

Stoney

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Duplicate post removed.

This post was edited by stoneys_fatali on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 20:06

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, not supposed to be, they hang out around the serrano level. According to what I've read on them, they are delicious and pair really well with, well, fish!

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Pink Tiger? I never heard of it, gonna have to search. I grow purple tiger, pretty cool plant.
    Pam

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

That's a nice looking fish pepper.
    My hybrid fish look nothing like that. They seem to be a little smaller, more rounded and multicolored (green/black/red) as it changes to full red. They are very plentiful, lots of pods.

Maybe I will have to name this variety "Black Fish".

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 0:09

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I want to throw one on the end of my fly line and try it as a streamer..... wonder if anyone has ever caught a fish on a pepper fish. Sweet looking pepper pepperchuck!!

dj

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I grew one Fish Pepper this year and it is finally starting to display the veriagation in the leaves. Up until now, it has just displayed hints at the leaf veriagation but now most of the newer leaves show a lot of it. The pods are starting to show some of it as well. I was beginning to think I had something other than a true Fish Pepper.
    Bruce

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I am still waiting on my other fish to produce pods. It has the full white leaves too but it is really really slow to pod. It is still bushing out from when I topped it as a seedling.

The hybrid is making it look like it is not even growing, but it is.

• obchili
    9 years ago

Here fishy, fishy, fishy.... Great looking plants you all got going there. They look cool, and I will concur with djoy. Tie one on and see what happens.

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

Here is my Fish pepper. I think I started him from seed in January or February. A lot of the smaller leaves are a little deformed but I'm assuming that's just a trait of the fish pepper.

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

I can't for sure tell but do your guys leaves do the same thing? Mostly the half white ones curl or cup in the middle a bit

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

MorugaMan:
    Here is a close up of some of the newest growth with the most variegation from my plant.
    Bruce

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RonnyB123- Those are very cool looking pods, and many more than what I have going on with my plant. Definitely save some seeds!

MorugaMan- I don't have any pics at the moment but mine curl as well, it looks to be a normal trait.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Definitely looks like leaf curl on my regular fish. Its also gettting pretty bushy but has not budded yet.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Here is the hydrid that is finishing its turning. I pulled the first red one off. Nice taste. I have not had a chance to compare to a real fish since I have yet to taste it so I cant say they are simular. It was not really that hot, maybe Jalapeno hot.

Lots of seeds. I will save those pepperchuck and try to see what next years peppers look like. I can send you seeds if you want later on.

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Later in the season when I start harvesting we can most definitely compare lists and trade seeds!

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Sounds good to me. :)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Pepperchuck, RonnyB123, esox07 and MarugaMan your plants all look incredible! Being new to all of this and just learning about types of peppers I never knew existed like C. pubescens (First on my want list, just ahead of your fish), so many varieties, awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

I know nothing about these fish but I am off to go do some homework on them.

respect,
    dj

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Thanks Dj.
    Awww the C. pubescens, the Manzanos/ Rocotos.
    Nice choice. Tasty. Alot of different varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capsicum pubescens

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus