Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Blossom Drop but in a good way

Today I went out to visit my peppers after a long slow rain that lasted from early this morning and is still raining off and on now at 6pm. It has been a slow light rain of 1/2 inch in that time. No wind to speak of either. When I got out to my plants, I noticed a whole bunch of blooms laying on the ground around the plants. At first I was horrified but after looking a bit closer, I realized that they were just the flowers and not the stem too. It seems a whole bunch of pods suddenly became fertilized over night and pushed off their blooms. Prior to this, the blooms were browning up and drying up before the pod pushed them off or in the case of a significant percentage, the bloom (with stem) just browned up and fell off. These blooms still looked quite fresh in most cases.

Is it the rain that caused this? I had put a bit of bloom booster fert on them yesterday in prep for this rain. Might that have something to do with it? We have not had much rain in the last two weeks or so but I had been watering them. Maybe the water in the blooms themselves was key? I dont know. Does anyone else have any thoughts or knowledge as to whey so many bloom became viable over night like that? Never-the-less, I expect to see a bunch of fruits pushing out over the coming days. Up until today, my fertilization rate was less than exciting.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!