Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sampera_gw

Newbie Pepper Plants

sampera
9 years ago

Hi! Hoping someone can help me here...
I have a small balcony in Miami, FL that has tons of direct (West facing) sunlight. I planted three peppers (location in photo): cayenne (left), habanero (middle), and pepperoncini (right). I have never grown anything before but thought that I'd give it a try knowing how much sun we get here.

So I should probably have read some tips before starting them. I literally dropped like 10 seeds into each pot and did nothing...but they grew! The problem is that I didn't know you're only supposed to plant one per pot. Now I have two cayenne, three habanero, and two peppercini in their respective pots. Is this ok? They seem to be pretty intertwined so I don't want to rip them apart at the root.

Also, the flowers are blooming but keep drying up and falling off. I think I gave them too much fertilizer? I have them Epsom salt the other day because I read that it helps. I've noticed a couple tiny little peppers growing. I've also been pulling off a few leaves that I have found with white mold on them.

Let me know what you think, thanks!!

Comments (5)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Well, for that size of pot that you are using, I would say that you shouldn't grow more than one per pot. I use 5 gallon pails and for some, I do grow two per bucket. Mostly just one though. It looks like yours are not much bigger than a couple gallons, maybe three.
    If you do grow more than one in that small of a container, they will be very cramped and will probably suffer stunted growth and much lower production. I figure if I grow two plants in one 5 gallon pail, I will probably get a bit less than if I grew them in two separate pails, but not enough to make it a big deal. It is a little late to cull out the extra plants now, but you could. The better solution would be to pot them up to at least 5 gallon pots and let them go. They are way to big and their roots are probably one big mass now which would prevent your from separating them without major trauma. So pot them up, in my opinion.
    Regarding the blossom drop; it might be caused by the crowding, but peppers experience it quite often. Heat usually is factor. But it is nearly always temporary and when the pepper is ready, it will start setting pods quickly. I don't worry about blossom drop any more unless it continues for extended periods. I have had plants drop literally 100's of blossoms before they finally started to set.
    The plants look good otherwise.
    Bruce

• obchili
    9 years ago

Your plants are looking good there. I too had flowers drop a lot earlier, then one day, they stopped dropping then started producing. Just be patient. As well, I would agree with Bruce and pot-up.

• obchili
    9 years ago

And also, don't forget, this stuff is addicting as well as there is a LOT to learn. Do a lot of reading as there are many very knowledgeable folks here, and are always willing to help if needed.

• sampera
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very much appreciate the help!

Soooo I couldn't wait and saw another post online telling me to cull the others and leave one plant in each pot...and I did. Are the ones I left gonna die now?!?! I cut the others off right where they came out of the soul at the bottom. Hope I didn't ruin it.

• obchili
    9 years ago

Should not be a problem whatsoever.

Sponsored