Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

Peppers for sale or rent / rooms to let 50c .. oh wait

DMForcier
10 years ago

Well it looks like I'll be moving in about a month and I can't take all these plants with me. So they are free to pepper lovers that can come get them.

What follows is an excerpt of my ad on craigslist: There are from one to 8 of each variety - quite a few BJs and Scorpions.
7 Pot Jonah F2 cross (7 Pot is a very hot SE Asian. Not sure what these will be like)
Alma (Paprika)
Anaheim (medium cooking pepper)
Bhut Jolokia (the infamous Ghost Pepper, from India)
Black Pearl (gorgeous black ornamental)
Chocolate Habanero (extra hot, brown habanero)
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet (very hot, brown habanero)
Devil's Tongue (very hot, like fatalii but deep yellow)
Fatalii, Red (very hot and prolific, from Africa - red variety)
Fresno (medium cooking pepper)
Hungarian Hot Wax (hot cooking pepper)
Jalapeno, Mammoth (like what you get in the store, but let them ripen to red - they taste better)
Japone (medium hot, used in Thai dishes)
Korean Dark Green (medium hot heirloom variety from Korea)
a Mystery pepper ? Thai ?
Naga Morich (a true superhot from India, close cousin to the Ghost)
Peter Pepper (obscene pods, guaranteed to make the church ladies uncomfortable)
Poblano (large mild stuffing pepper (think chiles relleno))
Thai, Orange (fierce little orange pods from SE Asia - tasty)
Trinidad Congo (very large, very hot pumpkin-shaped, from the Caribbean)
Trinidad Douglah ("douglah" means "brown" in the islands, so a chocolate superhot)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (currently Worlds Hottest, depending on who you ask)
Twilight, Numex (small upright ornamental that looks like a Christmas light bush - beautiful - see pic)

These are potted in 5:1:1 mix so you can keep them watered without over-watering - perfect for those hot summer days. Most are in 1 Gal. pots and need up-potting.

Pics are several weeks old.

Comments (11)

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Oh no, where are you moving to that they can't go? :-( DM, they look absolutely awesome. If I were within two states' driving distance, I'd be typing this from the road, haha, especially some Trinidad ones. Alas, CA is too far!

Best of luck with the move!

Grace

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Showing your age?

Great of you to try and spread the heat.

U haul won't fit them all,or no space for those cute little babies?
    Lots of work getting those beauties started.
    Hope they find a good home.

Sorry about the heartbreak your going through leaving them behind.
    I feel for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: King of the road

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that your move is going to derail your pepper growing season. Those are some great varieties and some great plants. I am sure you won't have much trouble getting them adopted.
    Bruce

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

Hey king of the road. Keep us posted. I imagine they will all be snapped up from craigslist, but if there are any left July 4th weekend, particularly the koreans, I may be able to meet up with you in Atlanta.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Dennis,

What part of Atlanta? I have two kids that live in Atlanta (30350) that are coming to visit in a couple weeks. I could bribe them to come get some for me.

So sorry to hear that you can not take them all. Best of luck in your future endeavor.....

Bill

This post was edited by Bill_Missy on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 10:39

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Hey DMF... not to be mean, but Douglah doesn't mean "brown", it means "mixed" that's from my Trinidadian friend.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, "mixed" == "brown" in this case, doesn't it? ;)

I will be taking plants, but there are about 60 that won't make the trip. Excess germinants that I just don't have the heart to kill.

I have gotten ZERO response from craigslist. Same for the woman down near Macon that is trying to sell her superhot pods there too.

I'm just east of town past Stone Mountain. Have them call me or email for address.

Dennis

• clee22
    10 years ago

I live in CA can I get some PLEASE!!!!

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Douglah means-slang mixed race in Trinidad as far as people goes.
    But Douglah was a name for a brown podded super hot.
    Was reffered to as a 7 pot or Scorpion.
    But back then there was little difference between a scorpion and 7 pot.
    A lot of conversation was directed as to if they were just variations of the same thing.
    With current breeding etc. there is a definate difference between the 2.

See Cardi site for the original 7 pots and scorpions.

What people consider Scorpions and or 7 pots has been bread into the peppers these days.
    Tails are common for Scorpions where they weren't common back then.
    Now nasty looking pods are called whatever the vendor wants.
    Stability means little or nothing these days.
    Peppers are bread for looks as well as heat though either doesn't have to coenside with each other.

Now that people are selling Red Douglah they call whatever they want a douglah.
    Look for a yellow and orange next....
    Crosses and unstable stuff is just named for whatever it grows at the time.
    To me a red Douglah isn't a Douglah.
    It;s a Douglah cross or red scorpion or 7 pot,whatever these days.
    Boils down to what the grower wants at the time and what they will pay for the seed.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: My move got delayed so the craigslist ad has now been running for two months and I do actually get the occasional response. My 80 original plants are now down to 35. Average buyer leaves with 4.9 plants and 21 fewer $$.

At the moving sale a month ago the sales manager listed the garden plants as an item in the sale description. Hoards of ladies arrived with shovels and turned my pleasant garden into a cratered scape reminiscent of the Somme. But only one pepper plant sold - the 3 year old serrano loaded with red pods. People were actually scared of the gnarly pods on the other plants, mothers warning their children not to touch.

Of nine I have only one BJ left, "little" Immortal Beloved, and could have sold more. The gorgeous Chocolate Scotch Bonnet with its hundred pods went early to a Jamaican lady who left me with a jar of her commercial jerk sauce. Orange marzano went immediately, too, as did the one year-old jalapeno tree. Never seen a pepper so productive so early. One guy wanted all my Red Fatalii but I kept one runt. I like RFs a lot - will grow more.

All buyers were directed here, so we may all benefit.

P.S. I can't give Japone's or small jalapenos away.

Dennis

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Good deal Dennis. Glad the season wasn't a total loss for you.

My guess is with Japones, people don't know what to do with them. Do you tell them that Japones means Japanese? And that they're great green, red, AND dried.

With the small Jalapenos, it's all about penis envy. People want LARGE Jalapenos. I like the smaller varieties myself. They're much more productive and usually hotter.

Anyhow. Glad to hear your plants found homes.

Kevin