Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prolific Poblanos

Posted by mecdave 8 Tx/HZ 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 19:45

I know, they're not exactly hot, but I like it here. ;)

Brag alert: I've never gotten more than a half dozen poblanos off a plant, until now. These have at least 2 dozen on each plant and are still blossoming. Is that unusual (it is for me)?

photo poblanos.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prolific Poblanos

What kind are they? I get a bunch off of my Tiburons and Caballeros, but not a whole lot off of my Lg. Mexican, San Luis, or Mulato Isleno. Lucky you, I'm jealous. I love poblanos. I just picked a nice big San Luis this weekend and skinned and chopped it and scattered it over my dinner. Yep, not hot, but flavorful, great in eggs.
Pam

o

There are different varieties? These are labeled "Hot Pepper Poblano - Grown in Texas" and have a label showing red poblanos (which I plan on waiting for).

We have a San Luis Pass down at the coast, so yeah, San Luis Poblanos... that's the ticket! ;)

o

Super prolific!
I've never gotten more than a few off my plants, either.

Josh

o

Nice plants!

Stoney

o

Thanks guys. Every time I turn around there will suddenly be a branch hanging low due to it being loaded with 5 or 6 pods. Check out the branch on the upper far right. That will need to be tied up in the morning before the wind blows or it's a goner... not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

This post was edited by mecdave on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 22:42

o

I grow them every year in the garden . They have been very productive every year for me. To see plants in pots like that is impressive.

o

I get a good couple dozen or more off each plant. All depends on whether I'm using green or ripening and drying for Anchos.

Kevin

o

Wow Josh, looks like you and I just don't know how to grow poblanos. :-(

hahahaha, mecdave, yep, there are different varieties, different heats, slightly different flavors. I think Tiburons are my favorite.

Pam

o

Update: Nothing much has changed, other than some ripening. The pods are basically the same size they were nearly a month ago. The small ones stayed small and the larger ones are still around 4". None even close to the size you find in stores.

Is this due to lack of feed, too many pods per plant, the heat, or just the variety?

We're having a cool down this week and expect the plants to flower again, so I'm thinking about clipping most of the pods, at least on one plant, to see if they'll produce a larger sized batch next time.

What do you think?

o

Is traditional dried Poblanos called Ancho ?

I have grown them in the past but nothing close to what I see. Wow.

I am not growing any this year but I buy them from Asian/Mexican markets. Good to grill and stoff.
I have something else : Chilaca. That one has a lot of character. I think dried ones are called pasilla.

o

Great plants.

In my experience pod size has mostly to do with genetics and temps during fruit-set. Other potential factors can be pot size and nutrition. Chances are if your plants were meant to grow large pods, they would have put out a few already.

I wouldn't experiment mid-season too much. I'd keep the ferts slow and steady and beware of too much nitrogen at this point (flower drop etc).

Steve.

o

I have found, for me, that the ones that consistently put out the really big pods (like what you find in the store) are the Caballero and Tiburon.

I shouldn't have spoken too soon earlier, I am shocked to find that my Ancho San Luis, Ancho Large Mex, and Mulato Isleno are all covered in fruit, this may be my best harvest ever. They are also producing bigger fruit than usual... yea!

Pam

o

I've grown them (unknown variety) a couple of years. They seem to start off slow, then set a bunch of pods not long before they need to come in for the winter. I suspect that a second year plant might keep up with my poblano appetite...

Dennis

o

or grow more and start them earlier. I start mine around the first of Jan. I have ... I think 7 plants, 6 varieties. I can't wait to start comparing the varieties. Gonna stuff some this weekend. Hope I can be good and not eat them all over the next few months so I have some left for drying once the season is over.
Pam

o

Pam,

I'd love to get seeds for Tiburon. I'm having a great Poblano harvest as well, but my pods aren't very large. Any chance that you can make some Tiburon seeds available?

Thanks, Tom

o

Honestly, I would love to, but Tiburon is a hybrid. :-( and you gotta be careful where you get it, apparently some don't realize it's a hybrid. I bought seeds 2 yrs ago from a place I usually trust, the fruit was poblano shaped, but very small. Park is the only place I trust to buy Tiburon seeds. Sorry. I can send you some if you want to take a risk.
Pam

o

Thanks Pam, but if it's a hybrid I'll stick with the ones I'm growing.

o

Thanks for the input guys and gal. I'm going with Genetics and Heat. They started out like gangbusters a month ago when it was cooler, but have languished since.

DMForcier jogged my memory. Last time I grew poblanos they started slow with just a few pods, then came on strong at the end of the season, though still fairly small.

There's plenty of time for a second grow before first frost, so instead of waiting for them to "ancho" I'm going to go ahead and pick all the ripe ones (virtually all of them) now.

Then start looking for some better seeds for next year. Thanks again.

o

1 large bowl + 2 plants = 86 Poblanos... all about the same size as they were in the photo above. Oh well, I know they still taste good. Looking forward to whatever may come next.

o

if you need something to do with them all...
bacon n chese ontop

o

Or, sorry no pics, hamburger cooked with onion, green pepper, a bit of rotel and a bunch of spices, spooned into the 1/2's then topped with cheese and bake. Been planning for at least one dinner this weekend since I'm about to be buried in poblanos.... what a way to be buried. ;-) Must admit, the bacon and cheese looks good too.
Pam

o

Thanks for the recipes OK, Pam, and Kent. Keep them coming.

About every other weekend I take red bells, poblanos, onions, tomatoes, and canned peaches or pineapples and marinate with soy sauce and ginger (fresh or ground). Then throw them on the grill then use them for fajitas and pizza toppings all week.

This post was edited by mecdave on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 10:34

o

It's been 7 weeks since picking all the pods and they did set new ones just a couple weeks later, thanks to a couple cool fronts. Unfortunately they're even smaller and much more numerous than before. I should have trimmed those plants right after picking the first round, I guess. They still taste good though!

Popcorn Poblanos

photo poblano.jpg

photo poblano2.jpg

o

Yep. After years of growing large fruited annuums such as Poblanos, Anaheims, etc., I'm pretty convinced that those 3rd and later flushes just produce to many flowers/fruit that the plants can't support all of them(no matter how fertile the soil) and those generations just have smaller pods. I tend to save these ones for DRYING Anchos.

Kevin

o

I also had a couple prolific poblano pepper plants last year. They grew to over 6 feet and produced lots n lots of peppers. The first frost was mid-October and I had to scurry outside to harvest peppers. I recall harvesting 2 5-gallon buckets of poblanos from 4 plants. To me, that was a bunch.

The 2 larger plants are poblano and the shorter plant is black cuban (i think).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here