Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskaman67

New here...showing of my small pepper collection so far

muskaman67
11 years ago

Hey guys, just signed up today. Happy to be here to learn how to really grow my peppers the right way. Anyways, I just started growing peppers about 6 weeks ago from seed. Right now I have 12 scotch bonnet plants growing. 7 of them are inside my house under (4) 200 watt cfl bulbs right now along with a very small fan blowing on them to help improve their ridigidy and these 5 are what I just moved outside on my patio today. These seem to be my best growing plants at this time.

Also, have a question..I noticed my leaves are starting to curl just a little bit on a few and all the leaves are "pruny/wilting". I provided pictures. What can I do to fix this issue with the leaves? I'm thinking calcium deficiency. But if you can provide some answers how I can improve this I would appreciate it greatly.

On to the pics of my best 5 pepper plants... For 6 weeks they seem to be growing pretty good.

Comments (14)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Plants look good but I think you are making the same mistake nearly every new pepper grower makes.

I am assuming you were growing these plants in the house under lights until today. Then, you simply move them out side to the glorious sun and wind. Good intention, but bad idea. You need to harden the little fellas off first. This basically means you have to introduce them to the harsh outside a little at a time. Living in Florida, you probably went from 70's to 90's for temps and no real sun to tons of sun and little fan wind to 20+ mph breezes. Your plants are not ready. You need to put them out in full shade (indirect sun) for a couple days, then move them to a spot where they will get an hour or two morning or evening sun a day. Do this for a couple days. Then move them to where they a bit more sun every day or two until they are ready for their permanent summer homes. Be careful of windy days for a while. Even 10-15 mph can wreck havoc on new plants.

You probably sunburned your plants on their first day. It will show in the leaves after a day or two as greyish colorings, typically on the lower/older leaves. It won't kill or seriously hinder your plants as long as you don't keep doing it.

I made that same mistake my first year. Seems like nearly everyone does. So don't sweat it. It looks like you did an excellent job of getting them to this point already. They are nice looking plants. You should get lots of peppers off them with your lengthy growing season.

Bruce

• muskaman67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

its inside my patio which has special screen that blocks out some sun and helps with the heat..and the way the house is no wind really gets inside there for some reason. thank you for the advice.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Oh, one more thing. I am not sure of your intentions but you will probably be wanting to pot those plants up at least one more time this year. It looks like you are using about a 1 gallon pot. Your peppers will become root bound in a month or so. You should pot them up to 3-7 gallon pots before that happens.
    Bruce

• muskaman67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so you think leave them in the black pots for another 2 weeks and then move them to 5 gallon pot? Also, what can i do to improve my leaves condition and make them flat/smooth again? thanks.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I dont really see a problem with your leaves at this point.
    Here is a picture of some of my plants from last year. The three in the middle of the picture are Nagas. They have similar leaves to yours. Hots and super hots seem to be that way. They are short and wide like your's too. Notice the plants on the left, they are flatter but that is just the difference in the type of plant. As long as yours are not curling up, turning unusual colors, then I wouldn't worry about that.

Your plants are probably good for another 3-4 weeks or so in the pots they are in. But they can be potted up anytime before then.

Bruce

• muskaman67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

really nice bruce. How long did it take for them to get that size? the growing and waiting game is killing me.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Planted 1-22-11. The photo above is 4-6-11. The really fast growth was from about June through August. That is Summer here. Yours should take off once they get into their final container and they get a steady dose of S. Florida sun. But I think the sun can be overdone too. If temps are over about 90, it can be as bad as temps down in the 40's and 50's. Containers will allow you to move them to some shade if necessary.
    Bruce

• frank1es
    11 years ago

Bone meal will help the leaves that are curling, takes a while to work into the plant though.

• muskaman67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I planted my peppers with those jiffy pods still on the plant. Should I remove them or just leave it? It seems that a bunch of roots are still moving past it.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

The plants look pretty darned nice to me! I don't know that it is optimal, but, that wrinkling / puckering on the leaves is very common on the chinese varieties.

re: bonemeal - I have heard many recommendations to use it, and just as many saying it takes so long to break down / be available to the plant that you are wasting your time and any anecdotal evidence is more likely attributed to time for it to grow out of it or some other environmental factor and not really the bonemeal.

Jiffy pods - are you talking about the peat pellets and their netting? I would and always do remove that netting. But, if they're already growing into their new home, it might not be worth the potential damage digging it up to remove it. Same thing with the peat pots that you can just bury - I always remove that thing. Probably personal preference more than anything, but, I have seen where they had problems growing through either, so, I just get them out of the way.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I agree with Tsheets. Although I haven't used the peat pots or the netting thingys for peppers, I have purchased some already in them and I always remove them. They will restrict your plant roots for weeks before they truly break down.

If you do have them on your plants now, it might be a good time to put them into their upsized summer containers and in the process, you could examine the roots and see if they are being restricted at all by any left over peat pots. But like Tsheets says, they look fine now and I wouldn't dig them up simply to remove the pots now unless you are upsizing containers at the same time.
    Bruce

• muskaman67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I plan on putting them in bigger pots coming up. But I'm afraid if I mess with mesh part and try to remove it then most of the roots will be damaged. I think a lot of the roots have came through the mesh despite having it wrapped around the root pod. So maybe I should just leave it and hope it doesn't effect the plants growth.

Also, I'm in the process of hardening them off. Right now I just leave the plants on my patio like you see in the pic all day and night. In the night it's prob 80 and daytime like 90. But my patio only receives a few hours of direct sun light each day as the sun sets. Between 5pm and 8pm is when it gets sun. Do you think leaving them where they are is the correct process for hardening them up? The patio blocks a lot of wind so I'll turn the fan on for a hour or so at a time to get the plants just to sway a little bit to try to help the hardening process.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Sounds like a good starting point for hardening them off. But, you will still need to ease them in to more and more direct light. But, as they say...too much of a good thing...As Summer kicks in, you may have to temper the full sun a bit during the mid-day hours.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Tsheets X 2. It is a good start but you will have to give them some unfiltered sun at some point in the process. Maybe just stick them outside the porch after a while if they are only getting a couple hours of direct sun there a day. But living in S. Florida, you might have to keep them away from the alligators from the looks of your picture.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths