Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you seen this video!

Posted by stoneys_fatali 9b Duarte,CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 20:00

Wow!

Too bad they destroyed their plants ripping the peppers off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bm93RBvMfc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you seen this video!

That's insane, guess the bigger pot theory stands true, bigger the pot bigger the pepper plant, guess the controlled environment helps too. Next season I need to get a larger pot :-)

o

If I did my math correctly, that's a 26 gallon pot?

Stoney

o

Yeah, I've seen the videos...Don posted the address to the "picking" video a while ago - and I'll link it here for those who didn't have the opportunity to see it -

Picking 2,407 chillies off a Dorset naga plant

A representative from Seaspring Seeds also responded to the Thread :-) - check it out for more details -

GardenWeb Thread on the massive Dorset Naga

If I did my math correctly, that's actually a 42 Gallon pot.

Josh

o

Incredible plants. Wonder what they did with all the peppers?

Something I find really interesting is according to the video, they were grown in containers of municipal compost with lots of water. That's supposed to be a poor combination, as the roots can't breathe and peppers don't like wet feet.

Guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

o

They grew it (the one with 2407 pods) in greenhouse and at the time of harvest plant was 10.5 months old.
But regardless, that is amazing.

o

Yes, it was grown in a greenhouse, which mitigates the issues with heavy soils, and it was also grown in a very large container - closer to a mini raised bed - which also changes the dynamic of how moisture wicks/moves/drains from a container. It was watered and fertilized regularly. In England, potting mix is called "compost," I believe.

Much easier to skin a cat in a greenhouse ;-)

Josh

o

I'm about to put a Hungarian pumpkin pepper out. He's going in at least a 10 gallon. They are supposed to be quite prolific plus the fruits are heavy.

Stoney

o

She referred to it as "municipal compost". That implies it is compost from a local government that makes it out of the yard waste they collect, not potting soil.

Or did I hear her wrong?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here