Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajijoe

is anyone growing 'AJI' peppers this season??

ajijoe
13 years ago

hello all

IS ANYONE GROWING "AJI' PEPPERS" IM JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE BESIDE FOR HABANEROS THERE MY FAVORITE

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE? AND WHAT ARE YOU GROWING?

I AM GROWING

AJI OMNI-COLOR = FAVORITE

AJI LEMON DROP

AJI LIMON

AJI COLORADO

AJI AMARILLO = FAVORITE

AJI PERU

THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

PS sorry for shouting i have a habit of hitting the cap lock

Comments (23)

• chilifanatic
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Joe,

Well as far as favorites go I would have to say I haven't tried or grown that many types (even though I'm a hot food freak).

This is my first season growing anything other then Jalapenos (as far as peppers go).

I'm growing:

Jalapeno
    Tepin
    Caribbean Red Habanero
    Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet
    Chocolate Habanero
    Bhut Jolokia (hopefully, bought from seedfrack)

As far a favorites, well I guess I will have one at the end of the season, lol...

Next year I am going to increase my variety trying new peppers and probably will try an Aji. How hot are they? Do you know the scoville rating?

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I have a Aji Habanero , and I think I also have a Aji Amarillo.

• ihategazingballs
    13 years ago

Hi Joe,

I am growing Aji Amarillo, Aji Lemon Drop, and Aji Dulce de Venezuela. Those are the only Aji Seeds that I currently have. As far as peppers that I really like, there are too many to mention right now, but one that was new to me last year that I really like is red rocoto.

Best Wishes,

Lyle

• dirtdaddy
    13 years ago

Hi Joe! Aji Lemon drop is one of my top five favorite peppers ever! Overwintered one in the living room last year, now it's got a few peppers and is about 3 ft. tall. started a few more from seed, which seemed to be really tough with all peppers this year. Aji Limon should be the same pepper.
    Put in a few Piquin, a few more thai bird, a couple tabassco, and a couple fish. It was 93 today, I hope it cools off some so they can do better. david.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I didn't know there was a Aji Lemon Drop. I have Lemon Drop full of
    peppers(very hot one). Does Aji Lemon Drop taste the same as Lemon
    Drop. Will have to try that one next year.

• megachili
    13 years ago

I'm growing the Limon and the Amarillo. The Limon is a.k.a. Lemon Drop - they're the same thing. I grew the omnicolor last year but didn't get great results, so I'm not growing it this year. Personally, the Aji Limon is one of my all-around favorite peppers. I love how they grow so prolifically - busting out with yellow pods all over the place in July.

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

There is an Aji Limon , a Limon , and a Lemon or Lemon Drop.
    2 are C.Baccatums and 1 Chinense.
    You'll notice below there are also 3 varieties of Aji Panca too-Annuum,Chinense and Baccatum.
    Most of the time C. Baccatums are refered to as Aji peppers ,though Aji means pepper.

A few of the Aji I've grown or have growing:

C.Annuum

Aji Amarillo, Aji Cereza, Aji Crystal, Aji Panca, Aji Rojo

C.Baccatum

Aji #6, Aji Amarillo-Peru, Aji Amarillo Mirasol, Aji Angelo, Aji Benito, Aji Blanco, cgn 21470, Aji Chinchi Amarillo, Aji Cito, Aji Cochabamba cap 829, Aji Colorado, Aji de la Tierra, Aji Escabeche PI 260580, Aji Habanero, Aji Hot, Aji Limon, Aji Lemon, Aji Linto-Peru, Aji Norteno, Aji Omnicolor, Aji Panca, Aji Picante, Aji Pineapple, Aji Red, Aji Santa Cruz, Aji Umba Red, Aji Verde PI 290983, Aji Yellow, Albertos, Atomic Starfish, Bacato da orto, Baccatum Pea, Banana Aji-Peru, Bigit Locoto, Bishops Cap, Bishops Crown, Brazil Red Olive, Brazilian Pumpkin, Brazilian White, Brazillian Starfish, Brazillion Arbolito, Bulgaria P???I 439380, Bulgarian Teardrop PI 439370, Cambuci, cap 220, cap 832, Capsicum Praetermissum Var. Baccatum, cgn 17028, cgn 22871, Champion, Chayusa Ruso, Chinchu Uchu, Criola Sella, Dedo de Moca Red, DongXaun Market, Earbob PI 159272, El Oro de Equador PI594244, Exploding Fire, Fire Fox, Grif 9207, Grif 9221, Guyana PI 199506, Heart Throb PI 260574, Inca Berry, Inca Red Drop, Joker Hat, Kaleidoscope, Kellu Uchu, Lami Spiral, Lemon Drop, Mayan Cobanero Love, Napalese Bell, Peito de Moca, Peruvian Creole PI 594605, Peruvian Orange-Naranga-PI 446900, PI 260579-2 varieties, PI 315741, Polumbo PI 439411, Praetermissun var Baccatum, Queen Laurie PI 281405, Rain Forrest, Yellow Russian.

C.Chinense

Aji Chombo
    Aji Chumbo
    Aji Dulce#2
    Aji Dulce De Venezuela
    Aji Dulce Yellow
    Aji Limo
    Aji Limo Rojo
    Aji Panca
    Aji Umba
    Aji Yuquitania

C.Frutescens

Aji Chilco Calentana
    Aji Pajarito
    Aji Pajarito de baleares

• ajijoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hey smoke

i noticed you grew Mayan Cobanero love peppers, i tried getting seeds on a trade over the winter but could not find any
    do you have any for trade

i have a very limited selection right now for trade
    if your interested email me i will let you know what i have

thanks your friend joe

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

http://www.nativeseeds.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=1080

Could this be the Coban you are looking for ???

Here is a link that might be useful: Coban Pepper

• ajijoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hello gardendawgie

im not sure but i think the Mayan Cobanero Love is smaller about the size of a nickel at best

thanks for the thought though

your friend joe

• met365784
    13 years ago

I'm only growing a couple of Aji peppers this year. Aji Limon, Aji Panca and a Aji Norteno which may be a cross.

Smokemaster - you have a nice list going there, I've been thinking about adding more Aji peppers to my grow list next year. Which of those varieties do you think have the best flavor? I've been focusing on growing peppers for the best flavor. I have been growing some varieties that people recommend along with a few that I've just blindly jumped into.

• ajijoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

im defiantly doing more aji next year!!

i love them

SORRY HONEY GOTTA DIG UP MORE OF THE YARD!!
    (shes gonna kill me!!) LOL

thanks your friend joe

• sambo725
    13 years ago

This is my first year growing AJI peppers...And I love them. Great flavor and heat ranging from mild to HOT. I plan on growing more next year.

Aji brown-
    mild; Andean Aji Type; 4 to 6 inches long by 0.5 to 1 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to deep brown; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Very Late Season; Uses: Drying; sweet rich flavor with very little heat; C.chinense.

AJI CITO - medium; Andean Aji Type; 2.5 to 3.5 inches long by 0.75 to 1 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from green to gold; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Late Season; Uses: Prolific; C.baccatuum.

AJI CEREZA - hot; 0.75 to 1 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from green to red; upright pods; dark green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Mid Season; from Peru; pods are round or slightly pointed; C.annuum.

AJI COLORADO - hot; Andean Aji Type; 3 to 5 inches long by 0.75 to 1 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from green to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Late Season; Uses: Prolific; from Andes; slightly wrinkled, shiny pods; C.baccatuum.

AJI CRISTAL - medium; Andean Aji Type; 3 to 3.5 inches long by 0.75 to 1.25 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from pale green to yellow to orange-red; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Mid Season; from Chile; flavor best when immature; C.baccatuum.

AJI DULCE 1 - mild; Habanero Type; 1 to 2 inches long by 1 to 1.25 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from pale green to orange to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Late Season; Uses: Prolific, Seasoning Pepper; flavor and aroma similar to habanero but without the heat; C.chinense.

AJI OMNICOLOR - hot; Andean Aji Type; 2 to 2.5 inches long by 0.5 to 0.625 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from pale yellow to purple splotched to yellow to orange to red; upright pods; green leaves; 12 to 18 inches tall; Mid Season; Uses: Prolific, Ornamental; from Peru; a real beauty in the garden with excellent flavor; C.baccatuum.

AJI PANCA - mild; Andean Aji Type; 4 to 6 inches long by 0.5 to 1 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from green to deep brown; pendant pods; green leaves; 18 to 24 inches tall; Very Late Season; fruits have rich sweet flavor with little heat; C.chinense.

AJI ROJO - hot; Andean Aji Type; 4 to 6 inches long by 0.75 to 1 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to deep orange; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Late Season; Uses: Prolific; from Peru; also known as Aji Amarillo; C.baccatuum.

AJI RURRENABAQUE - hot; Habanero Type; 1.5 to 2 inches long by 1 to 1.5 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to orange to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Late Season; from Bolivia; C.chinense.

AJI YELLOW - hot; Andean Aji Type; 2 to 4 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from pale yellow to orange; pendant pods; green leaves; 18 to 24 inches tall; Mid Season; Uses: Prolific; from Peru; C.baccatuum.

AJI YELLOW 2 - hot; Habanero Elongated Type; 2.5 to 3.5 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from green to bright yellow; pendant pods; green leaves; 18 to 24 inches tall; Late Season; Uses: Prolific; from Peru; C.chinense.

Sam

• chelefae
    13 years ago

I received an Aji Brazilian Red Pumpkin pepper from a co-worker today. Going to dry the seeds to plant next year.

We grew in our garden this year:
    Lemon pepper
    Tobasco
    Red Chilies
    Serrano
    Jalapeno
    Habanero
    Garden salsa
    Cherry hot
    Peppercini (sp?)

And we grew in pots:
    Biker Billy
    Carribean Red
    Chocolate Habanero
    Ghost Chile
    (We are going to keep the potted plants indoors during the winter, so we can keep them going year round.)

• catwhisperer2009
    13 years ago

Baccatums I grew this year were Lemon Drop, Aji Amarillo, Birgit's Locoto, Aji Santa Cruz, Bulgarian Teardrop, Brazilian Starfish and Aji Habanero.

BRAZILIAN STARFISH I'll probably photograph today, and then taste it for the first time. Real real late the pods started ripening a lot at once. LEMON DROP and BIRGIT'S LOCOTO are my favorites for looks and flavor. Birgit's is the most productive variety I've seen. In fact, I'm no longer gonna' grow Serranos as my workhorse (eat 'em unripe) pepper, because the unripe Birgit's tastes better and is much more plentiful. And when they ripen, they taste just as great as Lemon Drops, or better. AJI HABANERO has a really beautiful pod, slightly larger and oranger than Lemon Drop. There's practically zero heat, repeat: practically zero heat. I'll grow it again next year because I'd miss not having it around. BULGARIAN TEARDROP was the very first pepper plant to start looking nice in my garden. The pods developed a nice pumpkin shape early, and were an off-white color for a long time before turning orange. When I gave little bags of peppers to friends, the Bulgarian Teardrops were the most elegant in the bunch. AJI AMARILLO I grew a different strain from last year, and the new ones have humongous pods that still haven't ripened. AJI SANTA CRUZ I grew at a location far from my house, where I never managed to commute to often enough. None of the peppers I grew there came out well, but I did harvest some Aji Santa Cruz's and one thing I'll say is the pods do grow big, with grooves like an Asian cucumber.

Several people traded or gave me seeds for most of these, and I thank them and hope they read this.

• catwhisperer2009
    13 years ago

The sun's too bright to take pictures of my Brazilian Starfish, so I picked peppers, and this time of season most ripe ones are baccatums. Today I got 5 whole ripe Lemon Drops, a couple mostly-ripe Bulgarian Teardrops and the usual bounty of wonderful Birgit's Locotos.

Sally likes 'em.

• deebo82
    13 years ago

I am! I started the aji amarillo seeds *really* late (midsummer), but they are workin' on it... Have about 4 1-inch long fruit, lots of flowers and buds too. How much longer do I have to wait 'til harvest?? (plant is inside, getting as much sun as i can manage) thanks!

shane.

• ajijoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

my aji yellows are going crazy, im harvesting 4 to 5 everyday its as if they know time is short
    got a few lemon drop too but not enough, im defiantly starting my lemon drop earlier for the next season.
    most aji species can handle some colder temps and can overwinter if sheltered were temps dont fall lower than the high 30"s

hey cat-whisperer are the red ones in the bowl "Aji Omni-Color" they sure look just like um there yummy!! i have 5 plants in that one species alone
    totally forgot about this one

SO HOW DID EVERYONE DO THIS YEAR WITH THERE AJI PEPPERS??

OTHER SPECIES WELCOME TOO!!!

LET ME KNOW YOU JUST RE-SPARKED MY INTEREST AND WANT TO FOLLOW THIS THREAD

THANKS YOU FRIEND AJIJOE

• catwhisperer2009
    13 years ago

Forgive me, AjiJoe. I just tried on-line dating for the first time, and it's addictive. Can you believe somebody already used the name "Peppercat?"

The red ones in the photo are "Birgit's Locoto." If you like Lemon Drops, you'll love these, because they're much more prolific and taste just as hot, just as fruity.

• plantslayer
    13 years ago

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of how hot Aji Omnicolor peppers are? I am always looking for tasty and hot ornamentals, which is not an easy combination to find I think.

• ajijoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

omni-colors are around 75,000 to 100,000 shu

hope this helps

thanks joe

• plantslayer
    13 years ago

All that and the baccatum cold hardiness. Awesome!

• Mad Ferret
    13 years ago

So going back to the Lemon varieties, which is the most lemon tasting?

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions